General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Wind-helmet issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 04:57 PM
Solitaree1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind-helmet issues

There are those times, rain etc, when I wear a full face helmet. I ride an 07 Heritage classic with a windshield. If it's a breezy day, the wind buffeting the helmet makes it not just miserable, but intolerable. It feels like someone's playing drumson my head. Anyone else have this problem?
Any fixes? it's at the point where I"m about ready to sling that helmet to the ground and run over it with semi.

j

Old 05-01-2008, 05:37 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Wind-helmet issues

what kind a helemt? I have ascorpion EXO700 and it never buffers.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:55 AM
gum
Cruiser

You have a windshield?! Why would you even need a full face unless you're worried about your complexion? Throw it on the tracks or underthat semi!

Old 05-02-2008, 04:55 PM
Solitaree1
Road Master

ORIGINAL: gum

You have a windshield?! Why would you even need a full face unless you're worried about your complexion? Throw it on the tracks or underthat semi!
I wear it when the forecast is for rain, or I'm traveling out of state.
and yes, I have to keep my complexion in top shape, how else can I star in those movies???

Old 05-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Solitaree1
Road Master

ORIGINAL: tlb

what kind a helemt? I have ascorpion EXO700 and it never buffers.
it's a harley helmet made by HJC, one of the system type helmets. Not sure if it's the way the windshield directs the air around and above it? or if it's the way the helmet is designed.
If it's the windshield, any helmet will be a problem. Worse on breezy days than not. Oh well, lesson learned.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:27 AM
tlippy
Intermediate

Started out with the HD 3/4 with a shield and couldn't stand the wind under the helmet. Just bought the HD FXRG $450 full face helmet, hoping it would help with the wind buffeting. It did not! What has helped considerably is to wear a bandana over my chin, or a fleece collar, anything to fill the gap between your chin and the front of the full face. I still use the 3/4 with sun glasses and remove the shield during the hot weather. The buffeting for sure is comming up under my helmets and getting caught by the shield. It's so bad that it blurs my vision at 65 and above mph. Yesterday I bought some plastic door guard from an auto parts store and put a 2' section across the top of my windshield - anything to help redirect the wind. Not really sure if it helps yet.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:44 PM
Yoman
Tourer

Most of the time the buffeting is coming from under the windshield.&nbsp\\; While riding take your arm and go across your chest, if buffeting stops its from beneath.&nbsp\\; I ride an Ultra and after taking off the lowers I get a lot of buffeting.&nbsp\\; Put on some deflectors and no more buffeting.
&nbsp\\;
Yoman