General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Repair paint chip update

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 07:23 AM
GEESE
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repair paint chip update

Update:&nbsp\\; I learned on the fly about doing some body (well at least fender) work.&nbsp\\; Dent, chip un-noticable, but airbrused the paint on (gravity feeder).&nbsp\\; Have one fine-ever so slightly noticable seem line between new and old paint (thought clear coat would hide? and that I had taped off far enough away to blend),&nbsp\\; I think I can resand, polish and clear coat.
However, I did put&nbsp\\;a&nbsp\\;one clear coat on, but am about to run out of.&nbsp\\; Oh well.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
I chipped my front fender...chip is about 1/2 ' X 1/4", I ordered touch up paint but was wondering: &nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;if there is anything to fill the chip before painting, or to try multiple coats of paint or try a combo of paint and sand.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; \\\\\\\\\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;
Anyone have any expertise in this?
Thanks,
GEESE&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-09-2008, 10:12 PM
bdsbigzrx
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Repair paint chip update

doing small spot repairs and blending base coats takes practice and skill. There's more to it than I could explain to you here. You need a touch of some sort of light weight filler to fill the chip/ding, then you'll have to smooth it out, spray a touch of primer/sealer, then re-spray/blend the base color, and then re-clear. Hope that helps.... ???