General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Road King lighting

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 10:08 AM
anteekhawg
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Road King lighting

Hi-when I turn off my 4 way flashers my one signal light bulb stays on dimly as if drawing a minimal amount of power. All lights work good when put on, With everything off and ignition on bulb dimly lit?????? I tried changing to other side and when that one put in last problem switches to that side??

Old 11-18-2008, 05:58 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which one signal light bulb? Front (R)(L) Rear (R) (L) or dash indicator? What year RK?
And do you have any module located under the seat to allow the rear turn signals to blink and be brake lights / running lights?

Old 11-19-2008, 06:50 AM
anteekhawg
3rd Gear
Default Road King lighting

Not sure yet about a loose module, but it's the front signal light and everything is working as it should, just this half lit bulb in front when ignition is on.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:02 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

Sounds like that is a bad bulb maybe? Do you have regular lit running light with the other front turn signal bulb?

Old 11-19-2008, 11:11 PM
n4toc
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by anteekhawg
Hi-when I turn off my 4 way flashers my one signal light bulb stays on dimly as if drawing a minimal amount of power. All lights work good when put on, With everything off and ignition on bulb dimly lit?????? I tried changing to other side and when that one put in last problem switches to that side??
If the problem switches to the other side when you change the bulb to the other side, it has to be a bulb problem.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:35 AM
anteekhawg
3rd Gear
Default road king lighting

That was my first thought but when I changed them both, and first had done only one it was the same. It was always the last bulb inserted that lit. If I put the right front bulb in last that one went on dimly. If the left went in last it was the one lighting up dimly.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:49 PM
anteekhawg
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Ram
Sounds like that is a bad bulb maybe? Do you have regular lit running light with the other front turn signal bulb?
I have only one glowing dimly and if I change bulbs it will switch to other side and only if that is the last one inserted. Tried other bulbs, cancelling flashers with bulbs out and nothing seems to work. The lights flash when operated as they should both on signal and flashers but when cancelling the one bulb remains on dimly.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:51 PM
anteekhawg
3rd Gear

All seems ok except the dimly lit bulb on. Tried switching them, using different bulbs and always one or other stay on depending which bulb is put in last. Thats' with new or same bulbs. This is on the front only.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:43 AM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

Whats the contact condition of the bulb socket? I'm not talking about the base of the bulb since I'm thinking that you have used new bulbs by now. Is their any sign of corrosion and or dirt?

If so try cleaning the insides of the socket, and dressing it with diaelectric grease. If this is still not fixing it you may have issues with the socket itself since you can't see the back side where the wiring goes to the contacts unless you dis-assemble it from the lamp enclosure.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:38 PM
anteekhawg
3rd Gear
Question 01 Roadking skull gas guage

I bought a skull set of guages and cap for my bike but want to find someone who has wired a skull guage to a carburated bike to make sure it'll work before starting. Can anyone offer some info on this? Thanks.