General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

step by step walk through of rocker cover gasket replacment

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Booey424
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just used these instructions. They were very helpful. I really like the pics. They help a lot. But I do believe these instructions are for 2004 and newer Sportsters. My 2003 doesn't have a breather and it also has a spacer between the bottom and top rocker. But the instructions still worked well

The only thing I would add is I had to reuse the rockers inside the bottom rockers. I had to pound out the pins and use them on the new bottom rocker. You do have to align the pins correctly to get the bolts to go through.

I replaced the bottom rockers and top rockers with chrome ones. I kept my black spacers. But thanks for the help.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:13 PM
footose
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Tutorial! Just followed it.

I did however forget to put sealant on the metal gasket. I haven't started the bike yet, but my question is

1) Do I need to put it on

2) If i take it all apart again can i reuse the gasket?

Thanks!

Old 07-13-2011, 12:58 PM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by footose
Great Tutorial! Just followed it.

I did however forget to put sealant on the metal gasket. I haven't started the bike yet, but my question is

1) Do I need to put it on

2) If i take it all apart again can i reuse the gasket?

Thanks!
the sealent was overkill..you will be fine.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:04 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

personally I would use Hylomar blue instead rtv ....Hylomar never gets hard and sticks like sh*t to a wool blanket...but other that it all sounds good...nice write up

Old 08-12-2012, 09:57 AM
Take2la
Stage II
Default Thanks!

EXCELLENT walk thru OLDSKOOL THANKS!
There were a couple of differences between the manual and your description but I think these differences were basically cosmetic (minimal). Most notably, the manual calls for re-seating pushrods later in the process. But you, I think, had set that up earlier by beginning with leaving them in the lowest position to begin with. The manual also complicates that process by calling for the lower box to be tightened, then re-seating the pushrods, then retightened. Seemed like overkill to me. We'll see when I start it up...hehe.
Also, the stock gasket kit includes a couple of extra gaskets which is confusing.
But overall I found your walk-thru to be extremely valuable. THANKS AGAIN!

Old 06-03-2013, 11:28 AM
woodlandsrider
Stage I
Default uh oh :((

So, I think I have a bit of a problem....

I had a friend that was replacing the rear gasket and have snapped a bolt off.....

He went to do it again...same thing...even with a less than spec torque..

He then thought it would be a grand idea to rethread the part of the head and put a bigger bolt...when he was tightening this, it snapped like a twig and didnt tell me...was riding today and it was leaking bad, took it apart to find this.

Can anyone give me a sign of hope here feeling like **** about this and just want to ride

Can I fix this?

Old 06-04-2013, 08:43 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by woodlandsrider
So, I think I have a bit of a problem....

I had a friend that was replacing the rear gasket and have snapped a bolt off.....

He went to do it again...same thing...even with a less than spec torque..

He then thought it would be a grand idea to rethread the part of the head and put a bigger bolt...when he was tightening this, it snapped like a twig and didnt tell me...was riding today and it was leaking bad, took it apart to find this.

Can anyone give me a sign of hope here feeling like **** about this and just want to ride

Can I fix this?
It depends on which bolt you are talking about...if it one of the bolts for the covers or intake they make some products that are like jbweld (epoxy) that have metal powder mixed with the epoxy glue, you can fill the hole where the bolt goes and rethread it to the original size, if it a exhaust manifold stud you may be able to put in a helicoil, depending on if the new thread size if the correct size and type that will bring it back to the original size, or you may have to take the head to a welder who will fill the hole with aluminum and retap it for you...if it is a one of the bolts that go in from the top into the head, you need to be extra careful because if the hole has oil in it it can blow a hole in the head or crack the head through hydraulic pressure......if it a bolt hole in one of the covers you may need to buy a new cover...you really need to post a picture of the issue to get a good answer...

Old 11-17-2013, 04:29 AM
Lo_cal91
Stage IV

after doing this i got some rattle for a little bit but then it went away after a few minutes of idling is this something to be concerned about? also i snapped a couple bolts but was lucky enough to vice grip em out went to oreillys and got new ones definately was hesitant to use my torque wrench so the bolts are as tight as i felt comfortable tightening them

Old 12-31-2015, 09:13 AM
wtkpga
Cruiser

This saves me from purchasing a Manual. Working on a donated 2000 1200c with leaking Rocker Boxes. Thanks for all the information.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:37 PM
elkins20
Stage IV
Default I am getting ready to perform this on my 2006 HD Softail Deuce.

Originally Posted by old skool1983
i already had.... did ya read it or just look at my pritty pictures
I have looked at both your postings and pretty pictures. I did notice in my service manual for the Softail Deuce it says to use locktite blue 243 on the bolts. Also I am going to have to remove the fuel tank as very little room between the rocker cover and that tank. And thanks again for your post.
Bill

Quick Reply: step by step walk through of rocker cover gasket replacment