General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

manual starter lever

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 07:44 AM
fxesuperglide77
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Can anyone here put up the installation sheet on this? Or know where i can get a copy of it?

Old 09-12-2009, 09:11 AM
shovelhed78
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its available as a PDF download from the JP Cycles website. Not the greatest legibility though ...

http://www.jpcycles.com/Search/Produ...results=10&No=

Old 09-15-2009, 11:45 AM
hebbes
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In re JP manual starter kit wiring, my technical adviser failed to show up. (It's really hard to find reliable help nowadays.) But I am not going to let him off the hook. He is my cousin, and lives close by, so I'll catch him sooner or later.

Will advise.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:31 PM
hebbes
Novice

This thread should perhaps be renamed "The Manual Starter Kit From Hell." After many hours spent with the volt/ohm meter, trying to figure out why the starter remained engaged when the lever was released and the circuit allegedly broken, I today discovered that the starter shaft floats after tension is gone from the lever, as long as the starter cranks, and maintains continuity on the switch. Now, all I have to do is pull the lid off the primary ("primairy," according to the enclosed instructions) housing, and figure out why.

More items as they develop.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:34 PM
hebbes
Novice
Default The plot thickens

After a number of hours with a volt/ohmmeter, trying to figure out why the starter remained engaged when the lever was released, but only when torque was applied from the starter, (when the motor is not engaged, the relay and solenoids function flawlessly) we popped the lid off the aluminum lever housing, and found something quite amazing: although the lever returned to the disengaged position, the shaft which it activates remained forward, and kept the circuit ground connection closed. Friction between the teeth on the Bendix and those of the flywheel is obviously enough to prevent the bell crank from disengaging the gears.

If I could figure out how to include an attachment, I would show you the arrangement. It is a balance of springs and washers on the shaft, which, on each side of the bellcrank, is supposed to balance a forward motion to engage the Bendix/flywheel, and upon release, disengage the gears and break the electrical circuit.

It appears that the that the starter shaft needs a more powerful spring forward of the bellcrank, in order to push it aft when the handle is released, thus disengaging the Bendix and flywheel.

I feel rather like Captain Ahab, with his bloody whale.

More later.
[IMG]file:///C:/picsave/shaftsprings.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-21-2009, 06:59 PM
shovelhed78
Stage III

Wow, I am really re-evaluating whether I want this thing near the bike after reading this thread. It sure seemed like a good concept, but it sounds like its kinda lacking in the execution ...

The problem you mentioned with the starter not disengaging - is this a problem associated with the arm of the manual lever, or do you think its an issue with the existing situation (engagement of starter and flywheel gears) ... in other words, is it a manual lever problem? Could a stronger spring be fitted?

Thanks for sharing your experiences with this.

Bill

Old 09-22-2009, 12:02 PM
hebbes
Novice

One should think twice before attempting to install this device. It is, indeed, a good basic idea. The original solenoid and relay are prone to malfunction due to weather. The relay fails due to moisture (as in parking outside overnight), and the solenoid refuses to function when it's cold. The problem lies in poor manufacturing quality control in the kit, and lack of installation instructions.

Captain Ahab has, however, not given up.

The following users liked this post:
Stanley Kwiecinski (03-18-2020)
Old 04-30-2010, 09:13 PM
djcody
Stage I

Just mounted one on my '76, yes the instructions do kinda suck, and it was a bit of a pain. But its on now, it only took 2 days, and it works awesome and looks pretty cool.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:19 AM
Snowturtle
6th Gear

Did you ever get this problem worked out? I was thinking about buying the lever because my starter won't disengage with the stock system on my '79 FXE. I have had it apart numerous times and can't quite figure out why. I'm thinking the solenoid is bad or the 30 year old spring is too weak or the plunger is worn or...... Now I hear you had the same problem with the lever.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:18 AM
hebbes
Novice
Default yes and no

Yo, Turtle!

On my '67, I have it working (sort of), but it still needs adjustment, I haven't had the energy to pull the primary cover off again. The adjustment mentioned above consists of a delicate balance of springs and spacers on the manual activator shaft. A good H-D mechanic would probably have no trouble with it, BUT I definitely would not recommend it as a home project (I am speaking from personal experience). The wiring is a bit tricky, but can be done.

Do NOT expect help from JP. The tekkies there know nothing more about it than we do, and they do not speak Mandarin.

If you can get it installed and working, it will eliminate the solenoid electrical problems, and it looks really cool. But I repeat, it is NOT a project for the unskilled.

Quick Reply: manual starter lever