General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Rider-passenger intercomms.... Recommendations, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 07:08 AM
tut
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rider-passenger intercomms.... Recommendations, anyone?

I did a search here, nothing regarding "intercom" came up, soooo, I'll ask here.

Would like to RIDE to Sturgis this next year and that would mean she and I would like to better communicate on the bike rather than use hand signals and such.

I've read good AND bad reviews on "review" sites regarding a number of box systems, or non-blue tooth systems, such as "Nady" and "StarCom1". I'd rather we were wired together as such instead of depending on signals, whether or not we'd need a cell phone, etc. If we HAVE to, we'll spend the astronomical dollars needed for a "J&M" complete set, but if we can put a Nady or StarCom1 set together and use existing helmets, that would be a good thing.

So, any of you guys use/used either the StarCom1 or a Nady intercom set? Good? Bad? Like it? Trashed it? ...Why?

Old 01-10-2010, 06:47 AM
ronnieg
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default intercom ?

I am considering an intercom system as well. One that I can use between (bluetooth), cellphone, passenger and GPS. My big concern is I have a very loud (nice loud) Fatboy and would hate to spend any money on something to find out it's not the one...So I am hoping someone else with a very loud Fatboy might have had some experience with various systems to make my choice a little easier. I am considering a Scala Rider QT2 and am anxious to hear from anyone who may have had experience with it or other similar ones.
Thanks

Old 01-10-2010, 05:13 PM
ANIMAL03
Grand HDF Member
Received 754 Likes on 478 Posts

depends on what kind of helmet you want to wear. wife and i wear the vemar jano. real nice up to 65 mph then you cant hear anything. we do like them.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:24 PM
Ohiobellboy
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Some of us were just talking about this yesterday in the Touring board.

Here the link to that thread.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...nications.html

Old 01-25-2010, 10:46 PM
jandubai
5th Gear

We are using the Scala Rider QT 2 for over a year now. great piece of kit, my mrs rides her own HD and we communicate when riding 200 yrds apart...

Old 01-27-2010, 08:16 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

On a long journey you really need something powered from the bike as anything using its own batteries is not going to last long. My wife and I have a Starcom1 wired in, plus headsets in our helmets we plug into the bike. It is difficult to recommend it, but it does reasonably well. We use earplugs and flip-up helmets so noise is not too much of a problem. If you are riding any distance you should be wearing earplugs.

As far as intercoms are concerned, we can talk to a man on the Moon, but talking to people at close quarters seems to be more difficult!

Old 01-27-2010, 08:27 AM
schwangster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Our Scala Q2 is as loud as we need it to be at 70+. Can be turned up too loud on the music. And it's clear on the Bluetooth at speed too. We both use 3/4 helmets, with the wife using a shield on hers most of the time. Only issue is the occasional Vox on after about 60 mph, which I fixed with a small well placed piece of tape on the windward side of the mikes.
We get lots of run time out of ours (8hrs), but usually carry the chargers and plug them in at lunch stops to make sure.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:36 PM
snowmass
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by schwangster
Our Scala Q2 is as loud as we need it to be at 70+. Can be turned up too loud on the music. And it's clear on the Bluetooth at speed too. We both use 3/4 helmets, with the wife using a shield on hers most of the time. Only issue is the occasional Vox on after about 60 mph, which I fixed with a small well placed piece of tape on the windward side of the mikes.
We get lots of run time out of ours (8hrs), but usually carry the chargers and plug them in at lunch stops to make sure.
+1 We had two other systems that didn't work well, but the Scala Q2 was perfect for us. Plenty loud even with pipes and very clear. And wireless so you don't have to worry about unhooking when you get off the bike. The thing has very sophisticated circuitry that can tell voice from pipes, and so it voice activates at the right time. Even lets you listen to MP3 and take cell phone calls. I can't dial out with my voice though, that voice recognition part just isn't there yet. Oh yeah, and the battery lasts all day. We just charge up overnight.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:13 AM
schwangster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Snowmass, on voice recognition...
make sure your phone has this feature and it's turned on (the part I missed at first)
Also, at speed it doesn't always understand the name I'm saying, but at slow speeds it seems ok, most of the time.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:18 PM
big sarge
Stage II

I have an 06 ultraglide and I would like to use the bikes onboard intercom system and integrate my cell phone in if I could. Does anyone know if there is a system for doing this?

Quick Reply: Rider-passenger intercomms.... Recommendations, anyone?