General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

LED Turn Signal Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 02:02 PM
jetspeed8
Tourer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Unhappy LED Turn Signal Problem

I have a 07 FLHTCU and have replaced all the turn signals with LED bullet style units. I also have a BadAssLights LED tail/brake light, LED Tour Pack lights, and the NEW harley windshield and fairing LED lights.

Here is my dilemma: Everything worked as advertised until I installed the LED conversion kits on the front turn signals. When the LED's were installed, the turn signals would blink a few times normally then go to a rapid blinking and would alternate between the accent lights and the front turn signals.
I installed a Badlands Illuminator (which I thought would solve the problem) but that had no affect.

If I take out the front LED turn signal conversion kits and replace with a stock bulb everything goes back to normal and works fine.

Do I need to put a load equalizer somewhere on the front turn signals (like I did with the Badlands Illuminator)? If so, where would that go?

The only other thing I can think of is that the Harley windshield and fairing LED accent lights do not come with any kind of equalizer and they may be screwing up and conflicting with the front LED conversion kit and making my TSSM think that the bike is being stolen???

I'm hoping that one of you electrical guru's can steer me in the right direction to make all these LEDS more "friendly"

Last edited by jetspeed8; 12-06-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:32 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Look, my LED brake running light (Kuryakyn) doesn't need a load equializer because it doesn't blink, it just turns on with the running mode and goes brighter when you hit on the brakes. Now the turn signals are a different story, the current draw of the bulbs is what brakes the circuit and provokes the blinking pattern, that is why when you put the bulbs on everything is ok. The LED's don't draw that much current that is why they are not working. Yes, you do need a load equalizer for the turn signals, I got mine from Custom Dynamics, the model I ordered will work for all (front and rear) turn signals and it plugs in between the harness that runs under your seat.

Mimo.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:30 PM
jetspeed8
Tourer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks Mimo. I will try installing a load equalizer on the front turn signals and see what happens. That should do the trick..

Old 12-06-2009, 03:31 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

No problem, we're all here to help.

Ride safe,

Mimo.