General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Harley VIN Identification

Old 06-26-2005, 11:39 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 147 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Harley VIN Identification

Harley VIN Numbers
How to Identify Harley VIN Numbers
When buying any used Harley-Davidson, checking the Harley VIN numbers against the title is mandatory. If they do not match exactly you should think about looking elsewhere. Typographical errors on motorcycle registrations are sometimes very common, but don't take any chances. In some cases a visit to your local department of motor vehicles may be enough to get a VIN typo corrected. However, when buying a Harley or other vehicle with an out of state title, the difficulty in correcting such errors increases dramatically. With strict state regulations increasing every year, you are better off avoiding any problem that may leave you holding a piece of property that cannot be documented. Not only is it illegal to drive, but you leave yourself open to unscrupulous people who could make a legal claim against you and your property.

If you have a Harley engine with matching title taken from a crashed or salvaged motorcycle, and put that engine into a new frame, the title is invalid. Anyone trying to sell you a post-1970 Harley where the title VIN only matches the engine, but does not match the number on the frame, PASS! Want to upgrade your bike to a new custom frame? You must apply for a new title. While it is nice to have an original Harley with matching engine and frame numbers, only the frame VIN is relevant when it comes to legal registration.

Never accept a Harley or other vehicles without a legal title. One such case involved an individual restoring a Harley originally purchased without proper papers. Some deadbeat and his lawyer came along and claimed the Harley was his. Without enough money to pay an attorney, and lacking any legal title or receipts, the poor guy was forced to give the bike to this shark in order to avoid a lawsuit. This may sound like extortion but it happens all the time. Don't become another horror story. Take precautions when investigating the authenticity of the Harley VIN and registration.

There has always been much debate over bikes with matching numbers and their true value. In my opinion, any Harley being sold as "rare" or "limited" is usually anything but that. As with beauty, value and rarity are often in the eye of the beholder. If matching numbers makes a motorcycle more valuable to you, then only you can put a value on it. Just don't expect the next person buying that Harley from you to think the same way.

Locating the Harley VIN

Prior to 1961
On Harley models prior to 1961, the engine number acts as the VIN. This number can be found on the left side engine case. Harley models produced prior to 1969 do not carry any frame number.

VIN Numbering Conventions:

First two numbers are the model year.
Letters (up to four) are the model designation.
The last numbers are the production run number.
1962 - 1969
VIN Numbering Conventions:

First two numbers are the model year.
Letters (2-4) are the model designation.
The last numbers are the production run number.
In addition, models with 4 digit production numbers have an even-numbered first digit for even years, odd for odd years.
Models containing a 5 digit production number will have the first two digits even for even years, odd for odd years.

Why is this important? If the VIN does not follow this even or odd numbering sequence, you can almost guarantee that the VIN has been altered. It is extremely common to find mismatched engines in these early bikes with different VIN numbers than the title paperwork.

1970 - 1980:
Beginning in 1970, Harley started stamping VIN numbers on both the frame and engine case. The exception as noted by our friends at Cyborg Cycles, is the 1979 model. This exception is discussed below.

First two numbers are the model code.
Next 5 digits, position 3-7 is the production run number.
The last 2 digits designate the year.
The only legal VIN number for Harley's produced

Old 11-03-2009, 09:25 AM
sriddick
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer of HD VIN number

Hi Guys,

Not sure if I am posting this in the correct place... But I am hoping someone can assist me.

I purchased a custome Harley-Davidson Chopper here in South Africa from a reputable H-D dealership. The bike was origionally a standard Harley-Davidson Sportster Sport registered in 2000.

The problem is that since taking delivery of the bike, I have discovered two problems.

1.) When the bike was customized into a chopper, the bike builder never purchased a frame with a pre-stamped VIN. He manufactured his own frame. He then copied the VIN from the existing Sporster and insterted it on to the custom built frame.

2.) When the VIN was transferred, he also mis-stamped the numbers leaving out one of the digits in error.

There are a few problems here. From what I have managed to find out, it is illegal to transfer the VIN number from one vehicle to another. The other problem is that if this VIN that has been stamped on to the custom frame illegally is to be changed in order to rectify the missing digit, this modification is also illegal under South African law.

The other thing is also that once the sportster was customized into a chopper, the paperwork was never altered in order to reflect that it is now a custom built bike. They are still representing it as a Harley-Davidson Sportser. This is most certainly some form of trademark infringement. At very least, it is missrepresenting the Harley-Davidson brand.

I have in turn started legal proceedings in order to get my money back for the bike, and the dealership is denying any involvment. They are pushing me over to the origional owner, who is defending the case via his attorneys.

What I am trying to ascertain from this post, is if anyone is aware of any Trademarks that Harley-Davidson hold over their numbering scheme of VIN numbers. i.e. 1HD1CPY... etc. etc.

If so, we can legally prove that these guys have misrepresented Harley-Davidson.

Any contact details for someone in a senior position at Harley-Davidson would be a great help.

Thanks in advance