Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Tech & Mechanical Forum > General Topics/Tech Tips
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.
Sponsored by: No Toil Industries

P

Old 04-09-2011, 11:54 AM
Hang Around
Default Front Fender Rubber Grommet Replacement

What is the easiest way to replace the rubber grommet in the front fender of an FLHTC? This is the one that protects the electrical wire to the front fender lamp.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Road Warrior

The wires plug up in the fairing and most times you can get to them with out pulling the fairing off or at least I can on my 02 ultra. Just fallow the wires. Now the problem is the connectors will not fit through the hole in the fender. So I would just cut the wires a couple inches down from the connectors them pull the wires through the hole in the fender replace the rubber bushing then after putting the wires back through the rubber bushing butt splice the wires and put heat shrink over the but splices. My rubber bushing has been missing for about 60,000 miles with out a problem.

5 more states and I will have them all on one motorcycle
If you see my motorcycle on a trailer call the police it was stolen!
Old 04-11-2011, 03:37 PM
Hang Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46u View Post
The wires plug up in the fairing and most times you can get to them with out pulling the fairing off or at least I can on my 02 ultra. Just fallow the wires. Now the problem is the connectors will not fit through the hole in the fender. So I would just cut the wires a couple inches down from the connectors them pull the wires through the hole in the fender replace the rubber bushing then after putting the wires back through the rubber bushing butt splice the wires and put heat shrink over the but splices. My rubber bushing has been missing for about 60,000 miles with out a problem.
Thanks 46u. I found out how to do it. I unplugged it up under the fairing and then took dikes and cut the electrical socket off without touching the wires. This way, I bought a new socket, put the grommet in and the put the wires back in the new socket. No splice. Thanks man.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:39 PM
Elite HDF Member

I tried slicing the new grommet with a razor then popping it in around the wire. Stayed in for a couple of days. Just said F' it after that.

F' it, I'm ridin'
Old 04-11-2011, 03:39 PM

P