General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

My Rain Vision Discovery!

Old 07-19-2011, 09:12 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default My Rain Vision Discovery!

I got frustrated trying to find something safe for plastic that would be water repellent, and bought the only thing I could find, called "Rain Away" -$13 later, I have a windshield that will shed water if I can just keep the bike going over 65 mph!
Obviously not gonna happen. Then I got to thinking, as I was applying some black Kiwi shoe polish to my paint (hides some of the spider webbing and gives a wet look) and remembered the days waaaaaay back in boot camp....where we polished our "boondockers" to a mirror shine in black. AND...for the DI's fun, we stood at attention in the rain a lot. But those boots were never fazed by the water, as it actually ran off of them.

I look around and found a can of Kiwi Neutral wax, and applied it to 1/4 of my windshield before a rainy day run. SONOVAGUN, IT WORKS BETTER THAN RAIN-X!!! The guys behind me were even looking thru my shield. Next I'll try it on the glasses. My shield looked like the RainX commercial!

I was told I should repackage it and sell it, but I'm not that crooked. I'll put lives over money any day. Enjoy.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:20 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

Rain test complete. I'm in love with this: in storm surge showers I could see almost like having wipers!
If you don't ride in the rain, you don't ride...

Old 07-31-2011, 10:26 PM
capt_caveman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought about this for a bit and it has peaked my interest. I have not tried it yet. Have you used it on a face shield or glasses? I'm wondering if it provides any anti-fogging help.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:31 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

No: last (wet) ride had me WISHING I'd put it on my glasses too, as they were doing the usual thing, but even with it just on the windshield, vision was 100% better. You could do what I did before risking it: put some on just part of the shield.
You'll wish you'd done the whole thing. Bugs came off easy, but they'd gotten a bath first.