General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 07:24 PM
Nibin
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak

I have a 200 XL 1200C Sportster. I put around 1500 miles on it and decided to change the primary/transmission oil. I checked my book and it shows 32oz required. Dropped by Harley Dealer and picked it up double checking the volume needed. The oil change went without a problem.

We had a couple long rides right after I changed the oil. I started to notice oil drops below the frame right infront of the rear tire. Also dripping off the rear fender infront of the rear tire. The motor oil was slowly getting lower in the oil tank. I thought maybe one of the hoses had a minor leak.

I took the seat off and pulled the battery and mount to get a good view at the oil hoses under the oil tank. They were all moist in some area or the other. I didnt see any holes but havent cleaned it yet to drive and then recheck for the leak.

I did notice that what looks to be the tranny breather hose is wet on the end and has some oil just inside the end. Its up just under the seat on the right side. Where it vents is up high and would leak oil down the frame to the area below the oil tank. Im assuming the wind would spray the oil all around down there creating the mess I saw.

I plan to use degreaser tomorrow and clean up under the oil tank and then take for a test ride to see if there are new leaks. But would the tranny blow oil up and out of that breather hose? I pulled the clutch inspection cover and the oil didnt look over full. The book says the oil should be even with the bottom of the clutch diaphram spring. Where or what that is I have no idea but the oil is below the opening.

I drained the oil out completely when I changed it and then added only the required 32oz. That was the entire bottle. Is there something that goes wrong with the tranny to make it blow oil out of the breather hose? Or is my leak most likely coming from somewhere else?

Please Help!

Old 08-29-2012, 07:59 PM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Re-post this in the Sportster section. You'll get a lot more responses.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:10 PM
Nibin
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will do

That is the second time you have given me the same advice for different problems Mike. I really need to start listening! lol its moved/reposted Thanks