General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Likely Breakdowns on the Road and Tools to Fix the Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 08:34 AM
Vinish
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Likely Breakdowns on the Road and Tools to Fix the Problem

No one likes tothink of breakdowns when on the road with the bike but they can happen. Theyhave happened several times to me and I've not been riding that long.Fortunately, each time, I or someone I was with had the tools along that wereneeded for the repairs. The tools were simple each time - allen wrench to getseat bolts out or spark plug wrench. This brings up an intersting question.

What are the likelyroad repairs needed and what tools would be necesssary to perform theserepairs?

I would appreciate your thoughts on this question and your answers to it. Bearin mind these points when thinking about this.

1) What "things" are more likely to break while on the road? Forexample, a fouled sparkplug seems quite possible - it happened to my wife. Abroken handlebar seems quite unlikely.
2) Of the things that are likely to break, which can be repaired on the side ofthe road if you have adequate tools? For example, a dirty starter switch seemspossible to fix. A blown head gasket, not so much. Hence, only list the repairsthat could reasonably be done on the road.
3) Having listed those things more likely to break, and deleted from the listany repairs that could not be done on the side of the road, what tools would beneeded to do the repairs on those things most likely to break? I want to beprepared but not waste space with tools I don't need. For example, Why bringthe entire socket set if I only need the 3/8, 1/2, and 5/16" sockets. Do I needall my Allen wrenches or just certain sizes? You get the point.

I'll start:

Likely to break: Fouled plugs, drained battery, blown light bulb, dirty starterswitch
All are repairable on side of road
Tools needed: 3/8" socket drive, 10" socket extension, 5/8"spark plug socket, wire brush or knife to clean plugs, Allen wrench socket thatfits seat bolts, extra light bulbs,phillips head screw driver for opening light housings, whatever tool is neededto open switch housings (will have to look when I get home to see which size torx thisis). Probably should always have the tools needed to remove speedometerhousing and socket needed to remove tank bolt.

Okay, your turn.

G'day,

Vinish