General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

12" ape install on flhx !help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 02:34 AM
Cearnhart91
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12" ape install on flhx !help!

I know there are a million threads on this and I can just google it but I still can't find a (good) link, video or anything about installing 12" apes (pyo monkey bars to be exact) on a street glide with abs. A step by step tutorial with pics and good foot notes explaining how it's done right! I have the service manual and everything else I need as far as extended cables and wiring! Is it really that hard of a job. I'm a construction worker and I feel like I can handle this but as far as soldering 20 wires, molex connectors,bleeding breaks, Adjusting clutch I'm just iffy about it! Any help or guidance is appreciated... Thanx!

Old 04-05-2014, 04:05 AM
Banditsghost
Intermediate

The hardest part is taking everything apart and then putting it back together correctly. The first time I did it I put the wires back in the plug wrong. Honk the horn and the radio would change stations, turn signal honked the horn sorta screw up. I laughed for a good few mins.

Dealing with the ABS is kinda a bitch but with 12" you shouldn't need new brake line. If you do you'll have to bleed the brakes with can be time consuming. You'll need a new clutch cable and installing that could be tricky. With 12" bars your wires maybe about 1" short, try them before cutting them apart. If you do cut them make sure you cut them so they lay in the bars smoothly, by this I mean cut on in one spot then cut the next wire a little longer an so on. The key to this is use the a good kit, and have the right tools. It can be done with basic hand tools except for the clip for the clutch, you'll need special heavy duty c ring pliers for that.

Hope that helped a little bit.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:40 AM
Doc Wilson
Intermediate
Default same bars on FLHTC

Rerout the cluch cable to the other side of the down tubes and it will reach.
With the Monkey bars the welds tend to rip the wires when you pull them through
I found a small smooth linked chain best for drawing all the cables through and lots a lube
I added 6 inches to all the wires and that was plenty if you can get a proper wiring extention kit like the LA Choppers one as they are all coded and that makes it a hel of a lot easier
With your ABS if you need to bleed it you will need to get the dealer to reset the DT Code mine doesnt have Abs but the hoses are the same up to the bars (check this but I think its right) and mine was long enough,
You will need a full day to do it but you will love thosebars I do.
Good lck hope this helps
Doc

Old 08-14-2014, 09:42 AM
Wghussey
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The ABS on my bike is the only thing that was giving me concern. I guess waiting 8 years between new bikes sets you behind the technology curve.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:12 PM
jadyer
Advanced

I just did 18s on my flhr, best piece of advice is to draw a diagram or take pictures of the wires so you know what goes where and on what side. That is what saved my ***. I had to do all the brake, clutch, throttle lines & cables as well which I don't think you have to do on the glide. I could be wrong though. Take pictures, draw diagrams and take your time. it is time consuming but its definately worth it.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:01 PM
Scott14SG
Tourer

Received 71 Likes on 26 Posts

My 12" Yaffe bars will be here Tuesday, this is a thread I bookmarked for help. The bike in the thread is an FLHTK and he installed non-Yaffe bars but close enough, take a look and see if it helps you, it has some good pictures. So far all the posts I've read make it sound not too bad, the hardest part seems to be running the wires, which EVERYONE says to take your time with.

I made up some detailed CB install instructions, maybe I'll do the same with the bars.

FLHTK Bar Install