General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

what's wrong with my sporty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 03:04 AM
smokinwill
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so determined that the plugs and writing are good. Pulled the carb and going to have it rebuilt as there seems to be gas mixed in with the oil. Hopefully that's due to the carb not closing properly and leaking gas down into the system and not an issue with the piston rings. Should have the carb back and reinstalled Sat or Sun. I'll update once I've got it back in and new oil in as well to see if the issue is resolved.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:01 AM
smokinwill
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok got the rebuilt carb back and installed. Initially after putting the carb in the bike was only running on one cylinder and even after verifying both plugs were sparking still had the issue. Turns out one of the plugs even though it was sparking was bad. Installed new plugs and after tuning the carb the bike is running quite well. There's still one problem left at this point.

As I believe I mentioned before the oil smelled like there was gas in it so I drained it while carb was out getting rebuilt and put fresh oil in after installing the rebuilt carb. After running the bike for 2 days(approx 80 miles give or take) it smells like fuel again in the oil. Any suggestions on what's causing this and next way to check/find this issue.

Thanks for all the help guys, you've helped increase my knowledge on my bike and while I hate that I'm having issues I'm enjoying working on the bike.

Last edited by smokinwill; 05-02-2014 at 04:04 AM. Reason: adding/clarifying info
Old 05-06-2014, 05:29 PM
Wicked Jim
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you shutting the fuel petcock when not riding, if the vacuum diaphragm in the petcock is leaking you could be draining fuel through the carb into the cylinders and thus the oil.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:01 PM
r1cochet
Tourer
Received 203 Likes on 86 Posts

If try to start your bike with the petcock closed, the vacuum may tear that diaphragm.