General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Any dirt riders here?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 06:21 PM
Johnny Sotelo
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any dirt riders here?

I wasn't sure where to ask this.

I ride an '02 Dyna Wide Glide 103. I've had different sport, tourer, cruisers, but this one's my favorite.

Anyways, I moved here to Tucson a few years go and I want to take advantage of the local and get a dirt bike. I have never been on a dirt bike. I've been on street bikes all my life, but never on a dirt bike.

So, any Harley Riders make the transition to dirt or anybody have advise as what size/type to get?

I've been thinking about a 250, but that sounds super tiny. Then again, I'm not sure how something bigger, like a 650 does in the dirt. My Dyna gets squirly as hell, but I know that's not a dirt bike.

Oh yeah, I'm not a big guy. 5'8" about 185 lbs. I'm mostly interested in doing some trail/adventure riding around the desert here. There's supposed to be a lot of real good trail riding here in Tucson.

Thanks for any help,

-Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Sotelo; 04-24-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:43 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Been riding in the dirt since......well forever. Raced MX/SX . Just ride for fun now, 2013 YZ250 2 stroke. I am 6'1 220lbs, it isn't too tiny. I would suggest sitting on a WR450f Yamaha and see if its something you might like. It has electric start too.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:22 PM
Pix
Road Master
Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Also look at some of the KTM models, they have carved out a nice niche market in the off road segment, probably cost more than your Dyna. 2-stroke easier to work on, 4-stroke more mellow and tractable. Check out Thumpertalk.com, or Vitalmx.com

Old 05-01-2014, 02:49 PM
prplglide
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I have a 91 CR 250R and I am 44 and weigh about 200. Bike has plenty of power for this old guy.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:00 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by prplglide
I have a 91 CR 250R and I am 44 and weigh about 200. Bike has plenty of power for this old guy.
I haven't ridden/raced off road since 3/23/75. My last race had a very bad ending. I was on a 250 Suzuki and can guarantee you that a 250, especially a later model 250, has more then enough power for you.

You will also discover that 'really' riding off road requires much more skill. You will be going places, doing things, nobody would attempt on a Dyna.

Last edited by rjg883c; 05-01-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:23 AM
Craig48
Advanced

I would look at starting with a 4 stroke 250 cc bike. I first bought a Honda CRF230F, which was nice for the smaller rider (I'm also 5'8") and for learning to ride dirt but I quickly progressed to a Honda CRF250X , solid bike and very smooth power.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:37 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I rode off road before I got wise! Had a Greeves 170cc that weighed about as much as you and went like the wind! Thirty-odd years later I'm still 'between' off-roaders. I must admit I only ever look at the small ones - and the brochure weight! Draggin' a bike that weighs less than 200 pounds out of several inches of mud can be a trial, let alone a bigger heavier bike. So I go along with the others and suggest something no bigger than 250cc. The power to weight ratio will knock spots off your Dyna!

Old 05-05-2014, 02:13 PM
whitey78
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Any of the new style 4 stroke bikes like the Yamaha yz450 or honda crf450r are what's known as the "new style" 4 strokes and require more maintenance than any 2 stroke ever... If u want a cheap reliable bike that will run forever look into the older honda XR's but nothing bigger than a 400... Anything bigger is gonna be heavier... And you will be hating every pound of whatever you get at some point because you do fall, skill has nothing to do with it, it's falling well when you can..

The new 450's are too much for trail riding, especially for someone who's never ridden off-road... They have just as much or more HP/TQ basically as your dyna except its that much power in a 220-250 pound frame... Grabbing an accidental handful of throttle will have you on your back looking at the sky (if you aren't hurt) wondering what happened, literally... Imagine slicing off one cylinder of a Yamaha r1 and increasing the bore size, and lowering the gear ratios... That's what the new 4strokses are essentially..

If you wanna ride wheelies up and down the street, that's the way to go... But they require lots of valve adjustments, carbureted models require constant adjusting and they're all gonna require lots or maintenece...

I was sold one by a dealer under the premis that it was to be less maintenance than a stroke which was a flat out lie...

If you want something with ***** and easy to work on, more than fast enough to do something dumb on, follow the above posters yz250 (2 stroke) suggestion... Literally the best 2 stroke of all the Japanese companies... Ktm makes the best woods/off-road bikes period... But they are pricey... If your looking for cheap easy to ride low maintenece just easy going chill trail bike, the XR's are some of the most reliable but the 650 is way to big and heavy for regular trail or anything but wide open desert riding.. Keep weight in mind when u buy it, you'll thank me later...

I started in the dirt myself about 25 years ago... I'm in my mid 30's and it was the best thing to ever happen to me as it made me a superior rider in terms of being able to handle hairy situations... I can't thank my father enough for getting me one as the experience has saved my life more times than I can count.. I have a kid brother who's 19 now that I started when he was 3 and today he can wheelie a bike with 1 hand at over 100 like its his job.... Or right but if you have kids and u ride, they're gonna eventually so get them started in the dirt young, riding will be like breathing by the time they get on a street bike...

Edit: and do not waste your hard earned $ (unless your a rich bastard obviously) on a brand new bike for your first time.. Go cheap and see how much you like it and how often you will be replacing parts because it'll take an extra income to keep a bike running every weekend hard these days if you aren't careful... But do invest in the appropriate gear.. Woods with branches become spears... A chest protector is cheap insurance you don't get speared.. Boots and knee braces prevent shattered bones...trust me on that one...

Last edited by whitey78; 05-05-2014 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:29 AM
M&P340
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got my first dirt bike in 1969. Been riding dirt ever since. First HD didn't come till 2011.

For full-on dirt, I really like 400cc four-strokes myself. Rode an XR400 for many years, then DRZ400.

Nowadays, I want something that is street-legal as well as reasonably dirt-capable. I'm riding now (and can strongly recommend\), a '06 Kawasaki KLX250s dual sport. It's a bit down on power compared to the 400's (let alone the 250 two-strokes) but is really fun to ride in the tight stuff & surprisingly easy to handle. Weighs about 285 with a Li battery & some of the street crap stripped off, but carries the weight low, & is way easier to handle in the rough than a XR/DRZ, I think. Seems much lighter. In stock form, it will cruise at 65-70 on the street, but not much more. It's a high-revver and the power doesn't kick in till 5K, and tops out at about 8.5K (redline 10.5K). But it is absolutely bullet-proof! You have to work at it to kill it. Takes a lot of abuse. And there is a fantastic aftermarket 351 big bore bolt-on kit that can be installed easily by any home mechanic that will give it the power (nearly) of a top-notch DRZ400. It's just a fine street-legal dirt bike, and there are lots of them around at good prices, if you're thinking about saving $ on used.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:59 PM
Derica
Intermediate

Sorry you found yourself in tucson but good way to make the best of it. I've lived here like 23 years or something so I know a little about the trails and stuff. I started on a honda cr125 (2 stroke) when I was in high school, super fun bike and perfect for what's around here. Got a honda cr250 when I was like 18 and back then I was like 5'10 140 or 150 and I could barely kick start that thing and the power was out of control. For your size and what you seem to be interested in I would get a 2 stroke 125 whatever brand you like (I prefer honda or yamaha). anyways stay cool.

Quick Reply: Any dirt riders here?