General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Help: Minor Corrosion on chrome

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 06:30 AM
bobbin87
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help: Minor Corrosion on chrome

So I did some research on here and I didn't really get a definite answer. I found plenty of threads about polishing your chrome and making it look nice, helpful, but not quite what I was looking for.

I unfortunately have some chrome on the back...wheels..risers..and some of the fork yokes that are starting to corrode. Nothing really heavy, like pitting or any damage to the metal. Some parts have very small amounts of surface rust and a lot of the chrome is starting to oxidize and get that hazy white material over the chrome.

For some reason my father in law recommended using 3M Imperial Hand Wax and said it works pretty good, that was a waste of 20 dollars. I am trying to find something that I can use to scrub and get that stuff off, especially the rust. Someone told me to use balled up aluminum foil and get it wet, I am not trying that until I get a definite answer it will not scratch my chrome. I do need something abrasive though that won't cause damage.

Let me know what you guys think and thanks so much in advance!

Old 06-25-2014, 08:40 AM
Screamin Willie
Novice

Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish. Works wonderfully.

PB

Old 06-25-2014, 12:32 PM
Sport Chrome
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbin87
So I did some research on here and I didn't really get a definite answer. I found plenty of threads about polishing your chrome and making it look nice, helpful, but not quite what I was looking for.

I unfortunately have some chrome on the back...wheels..risers..and some of the fork yokes that are starting to corrode. Nothing really heavy, like pitting or any damage to the metal. Some parts have very small amounts of surface rust and a lot of the chrome is starting to oxidize and get that hazy white material over the chrome.

For some reason my father in law recommended using 3M Imperial Hand Wax and said it works pretty good, that was a waste of 20 dollars. I am trying to find something that I can use to scrub and get that stuff off, especially the rust. Someone told me to use balled up aluminum foil and get it wet, I am not trying that until I get a definite answer it will not scratch my chrome. I do need something abrasive though that won't cause damage.

I would try some Nevr Dull first. Then if that did not work I would suggest Maas Chrome Polish. If either helps get rid of the stains then once done coat everything a couple times with Turtle Wax carnauba cream wax.

If your parts are beyond saving, you can send them in and we can re-chrome them for you. We offer special discounts to forum members!

Old 06-25-2014, 08:29 PM
bobbin87
Novice

Awesome! Thanks guys! Hopefully I do not have to get the chrome redone on it. I do not think it is at that point! I will find out though!

Old 07-28-2014, 06:41 PM
moondog99
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbin87

Aluminum Foil does work very well and it wont scratch the chrome because aluminum is softer than the chrome. I have used it several times with great results.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:11 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,745 Likes on 18,544 Posts

Chrome Cleaner ... That's what it's made for and it does the job. Once cleaned you do it again with a Quality Chrome Polish ( Dupont ) for the final shine an it leaves a protective coating. The Mothers and Never Dull products are primarily for aluminum and contain a more aggressive ( abrasive ) composition.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:25 PM
wingrida
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by moondog99
Aluminum Foil does work very well and it wont scratch the chrome because aluminum is softer than the chrome. I have used it several times with great results.
Iv'e always used #00 or #000 steel wool with WD40 and then wax. Metal polish removes some of the chrome, thats the black color on the rag.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:55 PM
Tanuki
Road Warrior
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts

There are a few products out there for this exact purpose, have found some stuff but its in Japanese and not sure fo the English word / name for it, One product that is good is luster lace and they make luster pads, they clean the rust spots off and add protection