General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Pictures of your lifts, tiedowns and other maintenance setups

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 04:29 PM
Dutch101st
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Pictures of your lifts, tiedowns and other maintenance setups

So I am looking for the best all around set up for me to do wrenching on my Softail Slim and the subsequent bikes I am going to be purchasing over then next few years. As such, I want a good look at all the different ways to life, jack up, tie down, chock and otherwise secure my bike as so to keep as far away from the calamity of a bike fall (been reading some other threads and want to learn).

So post up your rigs!

Old 07-31-2014, 04:34 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts
Old 07-31-2014, 04:50 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I will start with what I have. I have 3 bike lifts, each serves a purpose. I started with a sears Red jack that has never failed me. I still use now and again if I have another bike up on the J&S jack. Both work great and I have never feared that a bike would come off of either on of them. Of course I always have the bikes strapped down. I have seen to many bikes fall,people get hurt and bikes messed up from not securing them. I also use a cheap Harbor Freight High lift stand for when I need to get the bike up higher for working on the shocks and other projects. I hate being bent over for long periods. I am saving for a good lift table or built in floor mounted rack. Which would be the best.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:03 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

I love this thing, Harbor Freight Hi Lift, perfect for sitting comfortably while changing a clutch. Works good for my riding mower, too - one end of it, that is. You can creep it down with a hand **** pressure release, too, real nice for lining up axles. I also have a standard looking bike jack that has a two position foot pedal release - push a little bit, it drops fast, push all the way and it drops a little slower. Seems assbackwards, but there's more than one brand like that. Whatever you get, make sure you know how it lowers before you take it home, some aren't that easy to use.

Bikes are real solid on this lift, but I always throw tie down straps on them, don't care how solid it is, a kid can always figure out how to knock it off...

A hoist isn't something to use with a bike everyday, and it needs something plenty strong to hang it from, but mine has come in handy a few times like when loading bikes into pickup trucks by myself. Put a 650 lb bike in one that way once, no way would I have tried that one on a pickup ramp by myself. Handy for a lot of things besides bikes, too.

When you get more than one bike, the second one will be jealous of the first one taking it easy, and eat a brake wire with the rear tire, or something that will make you put it on a lift, amazing how that happens. With mine, anyway. Sometimes it's just handy to be able to shift a bike around in the garage; I can't get close to turning a circle with my bikes in my garage, pita to do any more than straight in and straight out. That's the only negative I have with the hi lift, it doesn't move with a bike on it - but then it wouldn't be as solid.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:05 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts

That Harbor Freight Hi Lift is no joke. JD at ShotgunShock uses those to install his stuff.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:28 PM
FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
NOT A MODERATOR
Received 20,402 Likes on 7,991 Posts

I just picked up the Harbor Freight Hi Position lift pictured above. It can be had for about $140 with their 20% off coupons. Like the image above, I used jackstands under the tires to stabilize the bike and extra safety. I use a stand under the lift arm itself. Overkill? Can't be too safe I always say.

Stand by for the few internet hero elitists who will no doubt knock all of those who bought "cheap" lifts. LOL.

Originally Posted by 24v
That Harbor Freight Hi Lift is no joke. JD at ShotgunShock uses those to install his stuff.

Good to know... I saw some other known shop using one as well...can't remember the shop though.

I also have a Larin...and love it. (yeah...this pic, I don't have the straps on it yet...OMG!!!)

Last edited by FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER; 07-31-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:08 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
I just picked up the Harbor Freight Hi Position lift pictured above. It can be had for about $140 with their 20% off coupons. Like the image above, I used jackstands under the tires to stabilize the bike and extra safety. I use a stand under the lift arm itself. Overkill? Can't be too safe I always say.
The red sporty with the stand under the rear wheel is because I took the shocks loose so I could drop the wheel enough to repair the wire to a rear turnsignal; it came loose from a clamp and the tire ate through it (right after I'd put a new tire on, of course). I can pull either wheel off on this lift and the bike stays put - but it's still strapped down! I've also put jackstands under the lift arms when that two position safety wouldn't engage right where I wanted it. At least you can get jackstands under the arms, good luck with that on standard jacks. I agree with the safety, have known a few folks that wished they'd put a little more effort into safety. Me too, can't say I've never had a shortcut bite me...

Old 08-01-2014, 08:44 AM
Dutch101st
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice and thank you for all the input so far...keep em coming!!

Old 08-01-2014, 10:45 AM
FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
NOT A MODERATOR
Received 20,402 Likes on 7,991 Posts

By the way...also recommend you pick up the orange frame protectors that Harley sells...keeps the lift from contacting the lower shocks which hang lower than the frame.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:06 PM
Monkeymann_916
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I myself bought the Harbor Freight lift, but swapped out the wheel chock before using it, as it's a joke, and one would be a dumbshit to trust their bike on it.
As long as you use the pin after lifting it up and setting it back down, so as not to use the jack to hold the weight of the bike, this lift is perfect for the DIY bike owner.
I actually park my bike on the lift when done riding, just ride it right onto the lift and boom, get off. The bike is supported by the wheel chock, actually takes up less foot room of my garage then if the bike was by itself leaning over.
Be cuz I look at my bike like a stripper, I added runway lights to the perimeter of it so I can gawk at it at nighttime if needed.
;-)

Attached Thumbnails Pictures of your lifts, tiedowns and other maintenance setups-image-134714996.jpg   Pictures of your lifts, tiedowns and other maintenance setups-image-1877556471.jpg