General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Calling On Anyone Using Breather Bolt Style Intake Set-ups

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 12:42 PM
riseagainst82
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling On Anyone Using Breather Bolt Style Intake Set-ups

I have been running the DK Custom 587 Outlaw Intake on my 2013 Dyna for about a year now. I am happy with the intake but after a year of dealing with oil mist on my battery box cover and dripping out onto the engine I decided to purchase the DK Custom discrete breather bolt kit. If you are not familar with this set-up it basically allows you to hook a hose up to the breather bolts and run them to a small filter.

My issue with this is the filter placement and routing of the hose, I have spent the past 2 hours trying to pick a route and filter location that I am happy with but can't seem to come up with anything. I have the bassani road rage short, so if I end the filter near the end of the exhaust it would still be before the rear tire, Im worried about oil on the tire. The route I like the best is keeping the hose short and hanging the filter down on the frame where the forward control mounts are. This allows me to keep the rubber hose off the hot exhaust and engine parts, looks the best, BUUUT places the filter before the rear tire.

So my next idea is to loose the filter, mount the house off the frame near the forawrd control mounts and fabricate some kind of small collection container. If I did do the collection container would it need some sort of small vent to allow the pressure to escape? I would really like to see some pictures or hear ideas of how others have ran/done similar set-ups, either with the filter or collection.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:20 AM
rapid49
Cruiser

look for racing go kart parts . They are required to run a catch can and yes it is vented. They are small and not bad looking. I use to run a mountain dew bottle on my race bike.lol

Old 09-03-2014, 12:08 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

Do a google search on "harley venting crankcase" and you will find pictures of a lot of setups. Some easy to do. Some really clean but time consuming. This link has pictures of the absolute best I have seen. But it will not be cheap to do which is why I just run a hose to the back of the bike and call it good. By the way. You dont really need a filter.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...y-help-me.html

Old 09-13-2014, 01:05 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

The filter contains the oil, if you clean it regularly. A drop or two is unlikely to cause an issue on your tire, there's plenty of it on the road already

Old 09-29-2014, 11:35 PM
racer11
Advanced

I have a 00 FXDWG,,,it has a tube from the front cyl that connects to the rear cyl and just one chrome tube that vents. I ran a hose from that vent tube to a small clear plastic fuel filter the kind you would use on a lawnmower for a inline filter. I tucked that filter in behind the air cleaner so it does not show unless you look really hard. I have that filter laying in a horizontal position. That way the oil that collects will pool up in the filter until I can just pull the filter off the hose and spray the oil residue out with break parts cleaner. It works perfect,,I clean it out about every 3-4 hundred miles.