Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Trailer Mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 08:46 PM
Sapman
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Trailer Mods

I have a trailer to haul my bikes south during the winter and wondering what kind of mods you have done to your trailer. Looking for ideas to make my trailer more convenient such as storage, tie-down and ramp ideas, lighting or anything else that makes your trailer more user friendly. Yes, I know I should be riding them everywhere but bikes and snow don't mix.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:17 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You didn't say it was enclosed or open.
I would start with E-Tracks running either on the floor at the edge of the wall or wall mounting. Personally I prefer in/on the floor.That way you will have 2 points of tie downs the full length of the trailer. You didn't say how many bikes you just said bikes. If running them abreast a e track in the middle will help. You can also run one or 2 vertical (sideways) for wheel chocks. I made a couple and welded them to the chock and now I can move it sideways a few inches at a time easy enough.
Spare tire, it doesn't have a spare tire mount get one. I also took some small boat ties, the kind you use with rope, cut them in half which gave me 2 and fastened them to the wall for my tie downs when not in use.
I just did this and this is what I did, only giving ideas

Old 10-15-2014, 10:06 PM
Sapman
Advanced

Sorry, should have been more descriptive. I have a TriGlide and Ultra Classic with an enclosed trailer. Planning on them being end-to-end. Occasionally, there will be an additional Road Glide.

I am looking for ideas to make the trailer easier to use, especially storage or anything clever that works for you.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:21 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

In that case I would consider the E track. They are so simple to install and work so well. I would run 2 vertical e tracks for the trike and bikes. Mine is only 7x16 so all I can get in mine is the trike and one dresser or 2 Dyna bikes (small bikes).

I am using 2 e tracks to tie down to. Makes it really easy. If it is a V nose You can do good storage in the front. I keep my tie downs in the trailer so I use the boat rope tie off's. They work good and low cost. Just fasten to the wall at the supports.
I found a race car rack that mounts in the trailer. Really cool. It can hold 2 rolls of hand paper with a shelf + a opening door for more storage for cleaning supplies. Found it for free. Folks were moving and said I could have all the metal that was there. I haul off metal to a scrape yard when I can.
You would be surprised what folks leave when they move. I just have to make sure it's okay for me to get it.
I will get some photos later on so you can see what I mean.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:43 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

I added 'Bearing Buddies' to the axles on my trailer. It keeps the bearings well lubed with grease. Just have to fill them once in a while with a grease gun. They are called different names but they all do the same thing.

I got mine at a marine supply store down at the marina but they sell them at most auto/truck parts stores.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...g+Buddy&mc=BBI

Old 10-22-2014, 01:08 PM
thephatboy2003
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Sapman, I included a link for a motorcycle chock. Saw this thing in sturgis about 8 years ago when the guy was just developing it. I have thought about it ever since and will eventually get one. It is definately more expensive, but you might be as impressed with it as I was / am. I think that they actually advertise the bike upside down and still controlled by this Chock. It's pretty awesome. Let me know what you think of it.

http://www.turnoverball.com/products...ycle/biker-bar

Old 10-25-2014, 05:26 PM
Sapman
Advanced

I've seen these before. They look great and seem to make loading a lot more easier. Not having to deal with straps is going to be a plus. Thanks for posting the link.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:41 AM
thephatboy2003
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sapman
I've seen these before. They look great and seem to make loading a lot more easier. Not having to deal with straps is going to be a plus. Thanks for posting the link.
Anytime Man...... If you end up getting them, take some pics and send some feedback. I've seen a bunch of reviews but would be great to get some firsthand feedback.