Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Pull Behind Trailer

Old 10-29-2014, 10:07 AM
jjohnson77536
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pull Behind Trailer

I was thinking about purchasing a pull behind trailer and was wondering about the pros and cons of pulling a trailer and what problems others have had with pulling a trailer. Thanks for any input!

Old 10-29-2014, 10:50 AM
472viper
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

The only problem I've ever had pulling a trailer is when I ride with a group all the requests I get to put their crap in my trailer.

I've got a little over $300 in the Harbor Freight Tag-a-long trailer and have thousands of miles on it without problem. The trick to eliminating any trailer "wag" is in tongue length and the HF trailer's tongue seems to be perfect length, no wag what-so-ever. Watch tongue weight, I put no more than 15lbs on the tongue of the trailer and the way the HF trailer is configured it's really hard to get too much weight up front, most everything goes over the axle where it should be. The cooler (which I added) is always empty in transport, it is for use at the destination.

Give yourself a little more room to pass and a little more room to stop, but you will be surprised how easy it is to forget you have a trailer behind you. I get a little "clatter" from my hitch in town and that is a good reminder to take corners just a bit wider. The lights on the HF trailer are junk, swap them out for led. Wash the vasoline-like grease out of the wheel bearings and repack with good axle grease. Other than that, we love ours and plan on putting thousands of more miles on.

Last edited by 472viper; 10-29-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:01 AM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 472viper
The only problem I've ever had pulling a trailer is when I ride with a group all the requests I get to put their crap in my trailer.

I've got a little over $300 in the Harbor Freight Tag-a-long trailer and have thousands of miles on it without problem. The trick to eliminating any trailer "wag" is in tongue length and the HF trailer's tongue seems to be perfect length, no wag what-so-ever. Watch tongue weight, I put no more than 15lbs on the tongue of the trailer and the way the HF trailer is configured it's really hard to get too much weight up front, most everything goes over the axle where it should be. The cooler (which I added) is always empty in transport, it is for use at the destination.

Give yourself a little more room to pass and a little more room to stop, but you will be surprised how easy it is to forget you have a trailer behind you. I get a little "clatter" from my hitch in town and that is a good reminder to take corners just a bit wider. The lights on the HF trailer are junk, swap them out for led. Wash the vasoline-like grease out of the wheel bearings and repack with good axle grease. Other than that, we love ours and plan on putting thousands of more miles on.

I am interested in this as well , the hf trailer would be perfect. Thanks for posting.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:50 AM
12Bravo
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 472viper

I have a Tag A long trailer also. A few more tricks to do is to pull the helper springs off of the leaf springs and put a piece of rubber hose on the spring bolts to help with bouncing (when empty or light load). Taking the helper springs off won't effect weight capacity since the trailer is only rated for 200lbs when pulled with a motorcycle. I have also found that mine rides better with only 25psi in the tires. You will want to upgrade to the HF LED trailer lights (they are super bright) and change the bearing grease!

I pulled mine behind my 1100 V Star through the Missouri Ozarks without any problems and the SG doesn't notice it. Just remember to give extra space for stops and don't try to fly through the curves.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:00 AM
Boomer1143
Road Master
Received 174 Likes on 133 Posts

I am using a Piggybacker trailer that is very similar to the HF trailer show above. It works great for carrying extra cargo. Like mentioned give yourself a little extra room to pass and for stopping.

http://www.piggybacker.com/Piggyback...o_Trailer.html

Old 10-30-2014, 09:27 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,740 Likes on 18,543 Posts

There are many types of "pull behind" trailers that will do a fine job ... You budget will dictate which one looks "more attractive" to you. I have a Bushtec and it's the crème de la crème when it comes to motorcycle trailers. Once you've got through the initial apprehension of pulling the trailer ( that'll take about a half an hour ) you'll wonder why you didn't get one sooner for the long haul trips

Old 10-30-2014, 09:56 AM
fwb35
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

After seeing what happened to a fellow rider pulling a trailer last year I will never ever put myself in that position, pulling a trailer with a motorcycle is just not a good idea in my opinion.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:21 PM
Oxford
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fwb35
After seeing what happened to a fellow rider pulling a trailer last year I will never ever put myself in that position, pulling a trailer with a motorcycle is just not a good idea in my opinion.
What happened?

Old 10-30-2014, 12:30 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,740 Likes on 18,543 Posts

For every doom and gloom story, there are many great experiences ... Either live in the shadows or take a shot at enjoying life and the positive experiences it offers ... I ( and several pals, 4 Bushtecs in all ) have been all over the country and not one negative experience.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:50 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Hmmm..... after seeing what happened to a fellow rider a few years ago, I gave up motorcycle riding (being facetious)....... everyone needs to evaluate the risks, rewards and tradeoffs

Originally Posted by fwb35

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pull Behind Trailer