Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Hidden Hitch

Old 01-04-2015, 01:12 PM
layne
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hidden Hitch

Hello,

On my 2010 Street Glide, I had a Bushtec hitch that I really liked because it was pretty well invisible when I wasn't towing. Now that I have upgraded to a 2014 Street Glide, it seems that Bushtec does not offer a hitch for the new bike.

In my internet searching, I have found the Rivco unit. It seems like it would be similar, though a little harder to install. Are there any gotchas with this unit that I should be aware of?

Also, any idea if the trailer wiring I had on my 2010 is compatible with the 2014?

Thanks in advance,

Layne

Old 01-04-2015, 01:14 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,744 Likes on 18,543 Posts

Layne did you talk to Ross at Bushtec ... I'd give him a call to see if they've got it yet or on the drawing table ... Good people to deal with.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:15 PM
layne
Cruiser

Thanks Larry! I have not but will give that a try. I did send an email to the site but maybe they are all enjoying a nice holiday break or something...

Old 01-05-2015, 03:36 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

mchitch has a hitch for a 2014 street glide. Just passing along information. I do not own and have no experience with their products.
Hitch #40-A038-B will fit the 2014 Street Glide or Road Glide Custom models, $229.99

http://www.mchitch.com/Harley_Tourin...hitch_2014.htm

I do not think your trailer wiring from your 2010 will work with your 2014. The 2014 Harley's use a can-bus system, which the 2010 did not.
I believe electricalconnection makes the wiring harnesses for Bustec. You can see on the below webpage that there is a different harness for a 2014.

http://electricalconnection.com/inde...ory&path=20_70

Old 01-05-2015, 06:56 AM
layne
Cruiser

Thanks for the info LQQK OUT! I have been considering the MCHITCH as well and might go that route because it seems like that one might be easy to just remove when I am not towing...

The wiring is weird. Looking at that site, my harness plug seems more like the one shown for the '14+ than the one for the '09-'13. I think for the price it will be better to just get all new stuff to make sure I don't have troubles (or trouble codes) popping up!

Old 01-05-2015, 10:43 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

I agree, just get all new wiring to be sure. I'd recommend that you purchase it direct from Bushtec. It might be a bit more expensive (compared to making your own), but the quality of their product is good and their support is excellent. Plus, they seem to setup at a number of the rallies, which is convenient if you happen to be at one of them where there at and you have a question. They've always been helpful to me when I've stopped by their booth with questions.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:14 PM
Twillis
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rivco and Fat Baggers make hitches that are pretty well hidden except for one reinforcing bar outside the fender. MC Hitch does look pretty easy to install. In looking for wiring, I like the harness from Khrome Works the best. It is complete clear down to and including the 4 or 5-Way trailer plug. It is just over $90 on EBay. The MC is the most tempting hitch for me if I install one due to fast on and off due to warranty concerns.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:26 PM
layne
Cruiser

Thanks Twillis! I was seriously considering the rivco unit but after reading the installation instructions which required removing the fender... I am a bit freaked by that... I did hear back from Ross at Bushtec but he pointed me to a hitch that essentially said "not for street glides" I asked him if that was a misprint but have not heard back.

My current trailer is setup for a flat 5 pin plug so I suppose I could get a 5 wire setup and adapt... Decisions decisions...

I guess since it is 10 degrees here at the moment that it is not an emergency but do need to have it sorted out for a ride in June...

Old 01-12-2015, 11:17 PM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Have you looked at the N-line hitch. It's a receiver style hitch, while not hidden it has a very finished look with the ball and drawbar removed. I just installed one this Sunday on my 2014 Ultra and it appears they make a hitch for the '14 Street Glide.
http://n-line.com/hitches/09-up-harley-street-glide/

Old 01-14-2015, 06:16 PM
layne
Cruiser

OH, thanks fishhead! I will read up on this one. It does look pretty sweet!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hidden Hitch