Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Velorex 700 on a Dyna?

Old 01-23-2015, 06:20 PM
DianneB
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Velorex 700 on a Dyna?

I have a Velorex 700 that I am mounting to my 2002 FXD but I keep hearing that the Velorex is too light a sidecar for "such a big bike".

Is anyone running a Velorex on a Dyna or other "large bike"?

In what way is the Velorex too light?

Thanks gang!

Old 01-29-2015, 06:35 PM
davet2
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the concern is the force applied to the Velorex frame and components when attached to a heavy bike. I think they were designed to be attached to smaller, lighter bikes. I know many people have them on Sportsters but don't know about any attached to a Dyna or other larger bike. I would believe the advice given by the professional sidecar installers, DMC or Freedom sidecars.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:26 PM
DianneB
Tourer

Yea, I am hearing those comments from makers who would like to sell me one of their hacks.

I have made my own mounts so I am not worried about the mounts - they are uber strong!

I guess I will see how it stands up and what (if anything) needs to be beefed up.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:18 AM
davet2
Advanced

The DMC guy is always in sales mode, but Claude at Freedom sidecars is very objective I think. The other two guys that come to mind that may have a more positive opinion on your combo are Lonnie (NW sidecars?,Hack'n on USCA forum) and Bob Wark (the Warkshop). They all know more than most about these particular sidecars. My only experience is my Harley sidecar so I can't offer any specific advice about yours. One of the common things I have read about Velorex sidecars is there is an axle upgrade that you may want to do if you haven't already, there is currently one of these for sale on Craigslist in Detroit, MI.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:50 AM
DianneB
Tourer

Originally Posted by davet2
....The other two guys that come to mind that may have a more positive opinion on your combo are Lonnie (NW sidecars?,Hack'n on USCA forum) and Bob Wark (the Warkshop).
Yes, I have spoken to Bob a few times and know about the axle upgrade - that's in the plan.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:05 PM
davet2
Advanced

I read your thread over on ADVrider, I guess Bob isn't very supportive of your plan either. A lot I have read about the Velorex relates to their mounts not being very good. Your homemade mounts should be better than their frame clamps so maybe your installation will work out ok. I have also seen where people have welded a plate over the entire frame to add some weight and make the whole frame stiffer. Maybe that is something you could research too. There is someone on the USCA forum mounting a Velorex to a big Kawasaki I think, maybe some more ideas there. Good luck.

Old 01-31-2015, 05:28 AM
DianneB
Tourer

Thanks davet2, that's a brilliant idea (welding a plate over the frame)!

Yes, the Velorex mounts are a problem and I would not have used them (even if I had them). Bob and I discussed mounts at some length. With a lifetime in design and engineering I have a serious problem with any kind of "tube clamps" and 3 or my 4 mounts are bolted directly to the bike frame. There was no place to catch the frame on the lower rear so it picks up the a 1" solid bar that passes through the frame and it is clamped with two saddle clamps. I have confidence in the mounts and I am sure you could "pick up the bike and shake it" by each of the mounts.

The sidecar axle, as supplied, is of questionable strength so it will be replaced with a larger axle.

Old 01-31-2015, 06:57 AM
davet2
Advanced

You may want to check this post in the USCA forum, Velorex axle upgrade for sale and if I'm not mistaken, there is a picture of a Dyna with a Velorex sidecar attached. http://www.sidecar.com/mbbs22/forums...tmode=1#M82255

Old 02-02-2015, 03:00 PM
DianneB
Tourer

Been busy over the past week. Finished the mounts

Tried the Velorex body but a bar at the back of the windshield made is unsuitable for the dog so I made a plywood body.

That turned out to be too narrow for my dog to get in and turn around so I cut the sides down a bit - looks better anyway

Now I can't get her out of there! LOL! That's the first place she goes when we go to the shop and I have to coax her to come out so I can work on it.

A door and a windshield and lights are next.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:24 PM
davet2
Advanced

Looks good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Velorex 700 on a Dyna?