Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

2010 Roadking trike conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 07:14 PM
foundryratjim
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Gladiator, and if I do it I think I will order a tour pack for it. The dealer is about 45 miles from me so its not too bad a distance away. They said I would be able to keep my 2 into one exhaust. I like their suspension also. I will do the rake kit also.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:31 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by foundryratjim
Gladiator, and if I do it I think I will order a tour pack for it. The dealer is about 45 miles from me so its not too bad a distance away. They said I would be able to keep my 2 into one exhaust. I like their suspension also. I will do the rake kit also.
REVERSE!! Get reverse if you can and in my humble opinion, mechanical is way better than having a one speed, either on or off, electrical motor backing up your trike. The trunk space on the Motortrike is one thing I didn't like because it is relatively small compared to others like the CSC or Champion, so the tour pack just might be a wise choice. Good luck.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:45 AM
Steady Eddy
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the Gladiator IRS on mine. If you decide to go with a Tour Pak, order HD rack P/N 53411-09 to mount it on. Detachables will NOT work, so the rack that you need is a stock Tour Pak mount from an Ultra Glide. It's a direct bolt-up for your 2010 RK. I put a King Tour Pak on mine. Bought everything from Ronnies (much cheaper). The wait for color matched Tour Pak was about 5 weeks. Also, your RK does NOT have the same wire harness as an Ultra, so if you order a light bar to mount IN your Tour Pak you'll have to do a simple 3 wire slice to hook it up. Been there, done that. Simple. Don't hesitate to message if you need help. You'll be glad you went with MotorTrike.
respects,
ed

Old 03-01-2015, 09:22 PM
foundryratjim
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Steady Eddy
I have the Gladiator IRS on mine. If you decide to go with a Tour Pak, order HD rack P/N 53411-09 to mount it on. Detachables will NOT work, so the rack that you need is a stock Tour Pak mount from an Ultra Glide. It's a direct bolt-up for your 2010 RK. I put a King Tour Pak on mine. Bought everything from Ronnies (much cheaper). The wait for color matched Tour Pak was about 5 weeks. Also, your RK does NOT have the same wire harness as an Ultra, so if you order a light bar to mount IN your Tour Pak you'll have to do a simple 3 wire slice to hook it up. Been there, done that. Simple. Don't hesitate to message if you need help. You'll be glad you went with MotorTrike.
respects,
ed
That's interesting. the installer sad he makes a plate of some sort of plate to mount the tour pack. Do you have any pics of it mounted?

Old 03-01-2015, 09:27 PM
foundryratjim
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Steady Eddy
respects,
ed

That's interesting. The installer said he would make some sort of plate to mount the tour pack. Do you have any pics of yours?

Old 03-02-2015, 11:59 AM
foundryratjim
Cruiser

I have a nice removable back rest now for the RK. They said that won't work with the coversion.The reason for the tour pak was not so much for storage but to use for a backrest for the passenger. Do you know if there is a backrest that will work?

Old 03-02-2015, 02:18 PM
Steady Eddy
Cruiser

I have a nice removable back rest now for the RK. They said that won't work with the coversion.The reason for the tour pak was not so much for storage but to use for a backrest for the passenger. Do you know if there is a backrest that will work?
Never heard of bolting a TourPak directly to the trike body by using a special plate (if I understood correctly). But I guess it can be done (if that's what your installer says). My TourPak is mounted to the stock rack which doesn't contact the MotorTrike body. Because a stock TourPak rack works with the conversion, then I would ASSUME that any DIRECT BOLT ON backrest that uses the same mounting points would also be fine. I think you may have to go aftermarket for that, because it seems that all the HD backrests are detachable. In between the rack and the TourPak, I also used Kuryakin relocator 8957 to allow for greater passenger room.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:46 AM
foundryratjim
Cruiser

How much of a hassle is it going to be to replace the drive belt when the time comes?

Old 03-03-2015, 09:34 AM
Steady Eddy
Cruiser

How much of a hassle is it going to be to replace the drive belt when the time comes?
Remove 6 socket head screws from the left side inner CV joint, pull axle out, belt is clear to come out. The big part of that job is still removing then installing the belt to the primary sprocket.
Something to note: When you place your order, you will specify either with or without a TourPac. The main difference being the opening in the MT body to allow for the TourPak mounting rack. Otherwise, saying NO to TourPak will mean that the MT body will come right up to your seat. Leaving no way to mount a passenger backrest. Ask LOTS of questions at your installer before you put your money on the line. ESPECIALLY about their TourPak mounting. Have they done this before ? I'm a careful and skeptical bastard anyway.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:13 PM
foundryratjim
Cruiser

Very good info. I spent two hours last Saturday asking questions and checking out an installation. I may have gotten my wires crossed the tour pak installation. They have been installing them for a number of years. They average about one a month. About half are Harley, rest are goldwings.

Quick Reply: 2010 Roadking trike conversion