Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Northern Tool Trailer for HD Street Glide or?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 01:14 AM
chgofirefighter
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Northern Tool Trailer for HD Street Glide or?

Been considering a trailer, just purchased myself a nice Jeep with trailer package, been looking around for a decent trailer came across this listing on eBay and I wanted to know your thougts. It states 700lbs weight. Also, one from the usatrailerstore which is rated at 1000lbs but it doesn't have a platform like the one from Northerntool.

These are the links, I prefer the Northern Tool trailer because it looks easier to work with, one man operation because it has a decent platform. Thinking that with a few mods it could be made a bit stronger. The bad news is that I checked the Northern Tool trailer on Amazon and it has some bad reviews I may just consider to buy the second option. Thoughts, suggestions, recommendations?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FREE-SHIPPIN...31ce6e&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131205751744...S:1123&vxp=mtr

Last edited by chgofirefighter; 05-01-2015 at 01:45 AM.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:47 PM
Captnpirate
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think I'd be looking at something else as I am not a fan of this type of trailer. I'd spend a little more money and get the one that lays flat, you ride your bike on and then crank it up into the trailer, ready to go. The other one that I'd consider is the one that you ride your bike up the tailgate into the bed of the trailer.....just my 2cents.....

Old 05-20-2015, 06:03 AM
oldNbold
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not enough load capacity. Unless you are hauling a dirt bike. Buy a real trailer that you could use for other things as well. It will be more useful in the long run.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:18 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Consider review of the weight rating of critical components.
It would seem those trailers suggested might be under rated for the capacity required.
The axle, wheels and tire rating should be reviewed.
Since both are fold-up or compact storage trailers it would lead me to believe that you might have a storage situation at home or at destination.
I have a Trailer-in-a-Bag trailer that is now out of production (believe the business owner passed).
Rather neat because the whole deal fits in the trunk of a car.
The Port-a-Chopper is similar but does not have the Condor chock (which would make loading easier/secure) and does not have the floor board option (makes loading easier).
The Port-a-Chopper does have the rear torsion suspension which probably makes the ride smoother.
There is a forum member that adapted the torsion axle from a Port-a-Chopper to his Trailer-in-a-Bag and got the best of both.
I have used my Trailer in a Bag for several 10 to 14 hour + trips (each way) and all at highway speeds.
I monitor the hub and tire temps at gas stops and they are never hot.
A trailer builder could make one for you but i would make sure to get a condor chock or the harbor freight version of the Condor chock.
Not much to it other than a rail, chock and axle.
Make sure to review the axle, wheel and tire rating.
For example : each steel wheel is rated at 910 pounds, each tire itself is rated at 1,075 pounds.
The axle bearings are rated for something ridiculous like 7500 rpm which equals something like 360mph
My D-rated 8 inch wheels Tire size: 5.70-8 have a section width of 5.8" and outer diameter of 18.0"..look at the numbers when making a decision.
A trailer builder could make a nice one for you.
If storage is not a problem then something like the ramp free trailer would be nice.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:25 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

You will get much more with a utility trailer.
Get one with a fold down ramp.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:33 AM
ohiomike
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

isn't a streetglide over 800 lbs. right from the get go?? definitely wouldn't consider first link trailer. I agree with above post , get a utility trailer . harbor freight ( yea, I know HF ) but they have a 1400 lbs. or something close to that for $269.00 just add plywood. folds up for storage and tilts for loading. just get good wheel chock

Old 05-22-2015, 08:16 AM
ohiomike
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

o.k. it`s only 1195 lbs. but that's more than enough for even an ultra, limited. price is $269.99 and part no. 90154. check it out. ( harborfreight ) it`s a 4' x 8' trailer btw

Old 06-05-2015, 11:05 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I doubt you can get a large hd tourer on it. If I remember right the touring bikes need 9 feet to clear front the very front to very rear. Got fenders that need protecting.
Around my parts you can fine 5x10 cargo trailers for under $400 or new at a little over $600 with ramp and tie downs. Wooden or metal floor.
That's a big risk.