Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Who can tell me about side cars?

Old 06-21-2015, 03:32 PM
DianneB
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I picked up a second hand Velorex last winter and mounted to it my '02 FXD. Switched out the body to a custom suited for my dog.

I LOVE riding with a sidecar but it is a little weird 'cause you steer which way you want to go no matter which way the bike is leaning (and it is always leaning unless the road is perfectly flat). I think I am building up some good shoulder muscles as well from riding in crosswinds!

On the other hand, I can throw anything in there from groceries to an extra friend and I don't have to put my feet down in stop-and-go traffic. You are also everybody's friend if they can throw their extra junk in your sidecar when riding with others

Still working on getting my fraidy-cat dog in there LOL!

Last edited by DianneB; 06-21-2015 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:31 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

I went looking at Urals last weekend. I have never ridden a bike with a sidecar. Still kicking around the idea of getting one. They have a waiting list for the new ones and only one well used one. (Spearfish SD) I will monitor this thread for ideas while I contemplate the expense.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:27 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Check this out. Plenty of hacks and people to answer your questions.

http://www.sidecar.com/mbbs22/forums...=12561&start=1

Old 06-22-2015, 08:28 PM
sambo42xa
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2005 FLHTCI and I just mounted a 1999 car on it. I'm 52 and my legs just don't hold as well as they used to especially with the wife on the back. I checked the cars out and checked the pros and cons. Yes, you do lose gas mileage, lack of power. When riding alone I have a 80 pound flat weight on the floor which stays in there anyway when I have someone in the car also. I'm stuck in traffic now, no more getting around cars, no more leaning into those corners, bike seems to get hotter when I'm stuck in the traffic. Three tires now to change out instead of two. Parking I've had no issues. Pot holes suck and so do the beams crossing bridges doing 60+ mph. I myself have no issues cruising 60 or more on it. Winding roads do put a lot of work on your arms. Pick your routes.
Adjustments are important, also so the car when braking does not turn to the right or the left. When this happens, adjustments are needed. Turning into right corners you need to know your limit which comes with practice. You must shift your weight/lean into the right hand corner, you must turn your shoulders to the right.......practice. Same when going into a left. When on winding roads I just take my time. I have a book/manual on sidecars that I have read and still do because I run into different things. Have not experienced wet roads yet...but this is in the manual too.
I think it's a blast, I love it, my daughter, wife and puppy love it! Lots of storage which adds weight which is a good thing.
Been driving it for about a month so far and had one close call. Not being very experienced I went into a right hand corner and leaned into it but the bike leans to the left. Felt like it was sliding across the yellow center line. Think about it......you're leaning to the right and the bike is leaning to the left and you're trying to lift the bike and it's not straightening up! To correct this.....turn the handlebars to the right and the bike straightens and goes into the right hand corner. Of course being cautious of your speed and other factors. Practice! Yeh, almost crapped myself........
I will be looking into a cooling fan, oil cooler for the bike in the near future. Also, possible cure for the lack of power.....

Old 06-23-2015, 08:23 AM
Hewatson
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been riding this one for 2 years. It is a fun ride, don't miss 2 wheels at all.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:22 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,559 Likes on 5,153 Posts

Having a Velorex 563 installed on my 1996 FB now. It arrived with some minor damage so went to the paint shop to be repaired first.
Velorex so far has been great to deal with. Need it done by August. Granddaughter that is in a wheel chair will get her first ride in a parade with it.