Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

To Rake or not to Rake

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 06:08 PM
FreedomRider
Road Master
Received 337 Likes on 241 Posts
Question To Rake or not to Rake

I am fairly new to riding a trike, I'm 63 and have a 2008 Sportster 883 Custom with a Frankenstein conversion. I enjoy riding it and don't think I've had any problems steering it but get ask why it's not raked.

What advantage or difference would I notice by adding raked triple trees? Would raked trees be of more help at road speed or parking lot speed ... or both? I would probably go with Frankenstein's 4 degree trees, that is what they recommend for my Sportster.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:23 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

When my father in-law had his sidecar he added raked trees to his '05 Road King.
They made it easier to steer.

Old 07-31-2015, 03:46 PM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 453 Likes on 280 Posts

If you are not having any problems with steering, I would not bother raking the trike. The results would probably not be worth the cost. I had a sidecar on a 2000 Heritage, I never changed the rake and didn't have any problems. Or maybe I didn't know I was having a problem

Old 08-05-2015, 05:06 PM
FreedomRider
Road Master

I will be installing Frankenstein's Raked Trees in 4 degree ... I will report back the difference I notice between stock and raked trees ... Thanks to those that offered information ...

The following users liked this post:
badbaggerz (04-09-2021)
Old 08-10-2015, 03:14 PM
FreedomRider
Road Master

4 degree trees were ordered today, Frankenstein said should ship tomorrow ... hope to have them installed by the weekend

Old 08-14-2015, 11:02 AM
FreedomRider
Road Master

Here are the results for whoever is interested. New trees arrived yesterday from Frankenstein so I blew today day off work to do the install. Took a little over 2 hours to remove the old tree, install the new, adjust the headlight, roll the handlebars up just a little, and clean my finger prints off all the shiny parts.

Took a 35 mile test ride on all types of road, straight, curvy, rough, and smooth. I was amazed at the difference the 4 degree trees made in handling the trike at all speeds ... I felt I was using less than half the effort I did before. I would recommend Frankenstein for their conversions and trees ... the support they give their customers is great.

So in answer to my original question ... To Rake or not to Rake ... Rake for sure, you won't be disappointed with the difference ... and the difference is felt at all speed ranges.

The following users liked this post:
almostakeeper (07-21-2022)
Old 08-14-2015, 08:34 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 664 Posts

Thanks for the report. I've been considering the same thing for my Roadglide and my wife's FLHT, both with sidecars. Expensive mod though, and a little more work on baggers.

Old 11-21-2015, 06:43 AM
FreedomRider
Road Master

I've enjoyed the trike and rake trees, now almost Thanksgiving and snow falling I'm about ready to put the trike to bed for the winter. I have not changed my mind about the rake trees, they really made a difference, more than I expected and at all speeds. They make riding the trike easier and more enjoyable. Anyone that is trying to decide to rake or not, rake ... you won't be sorry.

Old 01-30-2016, 03:32 PM
FreedomRider
Road Master

January 30th, Sunny and 52 degrees, had to get the trike out for a ride ... everything still good ... still enjoy the rake trees ...

Old 02-01-2016, 04:43 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

When I was in the market for a trike, I rode several with and without raked trees. It made no difference what make or model I tried, the raked tree trikes were easier to maneuver especially at parking lot speeds so when I made the leap, I got a raked tree. I have no regrets.

Quick Reply: To Rake or not to Rake