Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Sidecars forever (well after HD 2011AD)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 01:58 PM
streetspringer
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sidecars forever (well after HD 2011AD)

I too have a sidecar( 2013 Texas Sidecar Ranger) on my 2005 Heritage Springer Classic almost like the old army sidecar. Durring it's early use after installation I had mounting bolt breaks but I think it's fine now. I took it out to Corning NY (over 230 miles one way) and also rode it around there with my wife in the sidecar and my son on the bike with me and a lot of gear packed too. I seemed to have made it with out any problems that I know of. (Why does HD and my dealer suggest against putting a sidecar on a springer? After all the old bikes with sidecars were Springers.)I could have bought a 2008 full dresser with sidecar from Baer HD of Honesdale , PA. back in 2008 (105th Anniversary)Boy I sure wish I had but back then to me $35,000 was a lot of money.

Old 12-10-2015, 03:31 PM
Lee H. Mann
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most 2 wheelers are difficult to steer after a sidecar is installed. Changing the triple tree to increase rake gives you a whole lot of leverage and makes steering a lot easier. The FLSTS has less rake than the FXSTS and there is a company that makes a kit for your Springer Front End. http://vulcanworks.net/Harley-Spring...t-p-17153.html

I use them on Springer Trikes and it works great but you need 6" risers too.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:52 PM
kilometers
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I am on my 2d Ural and 2d Harley Ultra, this one is a 2015 Ultra Limited. Hate that the owner's manual says that adding a sidecar voids the warrant. Go figure.....guess the motor co wants everyone on trikes...

Old 12-21-2015, 12:17 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

On my 2nd Ural, too. Would love to have Harley power with a sidecar. Would it void the warranty on my '89? Bet my 96" S&S would haul a sidecar just fine, too. Been looking through what's out there, good rig for a Harley cost more than I paid for the Glide (used). This is one thing I think I'd want to get new, get all the parts and docs, and especially no user "mods".

Anyone ridden both a Harley and a Ural sidecar rig? I wonder if the heavier Harley handles better or worse than a Ural; that Ural has to be the worst handling motorcycle I've ever ridden. Still fun, and more useful than a two wheeler, but I'm not going to take that thing on any long trips, buzzing near redline on highways isn't much fun to me. 6 year old grandson loves it, though - that's most of the reason I got one in the first place, but now I like having one.

Not much on this forum about sidecars, haven't really seen anything about how Harleys handle compared to other makes.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:13 PM
Lee H. Mann
Novice

Originally Posted by Imold
On my 2nd Ural, too. Would love to have Harley power with a sidecar. Would it void the warranty on my '89? Bet my 96" S&S would haul a sidecar just fine, too. Been looking through what's out there, good rig for a Harley cost more than I paid for the Glide (used). This is one thing I think I'd want to get new, get all the parts and docs, and especially no user "mods".

Anyone ridden both a Harley and a Ural sidecar rig? I wonder if the heavier Harley handles better or worse than a Ural; that Ural has to be the worst handling motorcycle I've ever ridden. Still fun, and more useful than a two wheeler, but I'm not going to take that thing on any long trips, buzzing near redline on highways isn't much fun to me. 6 year old grandson loves it, though - that's most of the reason I got one in the first place, but now I like having one.

Not much on this forum about sidecars, haven't really seen anything about how Harleys handle compared to other makes.
The Harley, simply because of it's weight and lower center of gravity handles much better although heavy. The Ural is a toy to take through the fields. I would use a heavier sidecar unit on a Harley-Ultra. Either the TLE or a Liberty. The grandchildren prefer the TLE because it is more like a trampoline.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:02 AM
Imold
another old guy

Tried to take the Ural through the fields once, didn't care much at all for the ride with those short travel rear shocks, though the rig itself handles it ok. Think I'll stick to trail bikes for my off roading. I've read that solid wheel to frame rigs like original Harley and those Liberty sidecars affect the handling a lot more than sprung sidecar wheels, but can understand how kids would like the boat ride you must get with a sprung tub and no shocks. I've ridden in the Ural with my daughter driving, rode smoother than the bike did, surprised me.

Old 12-22-2015, 06:55 PM
Lee H. Mann
Novice

The Liberty has a sprung sidecar wheel...........

Old 12-22-2015, 10:44 PM
Imold
another old guy

Originally Posted by Lee H. Mann
The Liberty has a sprung sidecar wheel...........
You are right. Thought I'd seen leaf springs, and I did, but looked at their web site and it says it has both. I don't feel too bad about not noticing the shock, the springs get your attention and you have to look for the shock. Best pic I could find, and still couldn't tell you how the shock is mounted. Must be a soft ride for the monkey with dual suspension. First bike in '65 and still learning new things about motorcycles.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:06 AM
Hewatson
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Harley sidecar mounted on a 2011 FLHTP and a Hannighan hack on a 2016 Road Glide Ultra. My wife says the ride in the Harley hack is softer. I like riding the Road Glide better, the Hannigan rig sits lower and makes it easier to get in and out of curves. I know i will have issues with the warranty if I need work but the sidecar s worth it. I can take the hack off if I had to but with the change in the trees it does not handle well.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:48 AM
kilometers
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee H. Mann
The Harley, simply because of it's weight and lower center of gravity handles much better although heavy. The Ural is a toy to take through the fields. I would use a heavier sidecar unit on a Harley-Ultra. Either the TLE or a Liberty. The grandchildren prefer the TLE because it is more like a trampoline.
Took my "toy" Ural on a 1300 mile trip over a very cold MLK WEEKEND in February and left my much warmer 2015 Ultra Limited home. No one told me Urals were toys and it has worked great on several long trips where it was the first bike I thought of taking. It handles great at speeds it was designed for.

Quick Reply: Sidecars forever (well after HD 2011AD)