Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Motorvation Spyder SideHack

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 10:13 PM
sgoharley
Tourer
Received 254 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Motorvation Spyder SideHack

I am considering a Motorvation Spyder sidecar, mainly bc it is located in Iowa and I can get my bike there easy to have them do the install. I considered Liberty but they are on the west coast and that is a long way to go for install.
I am going to install on my 97 Heritage Springer.
My questions
Who has one? Do you like it? How is the quality? How does it ride? How much room for the passenger?
Does it require any permanent changes to the bike, Steel, frame, seats or bags? If I want to remove to go for a ride on 2 wheels how difficult and how obvious is the remaining hardware? How does the paint match up to the original bike paint? Do I need to rake the front end? Anything unique handling wise ( I know side hacks effect handling), looking for anything unique to this design and install.
Thanks in advance
Any pictures would be appreciated. With hotties encouraged. HA!

Old 04-27-2016, 10:52 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts
Old 04-28-2016, 09:35 PM
Bubba49
Road Master
Received 420 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by sgoharley
I am considering a Motorvation Spyder sidecar, mainly bc it is located in Iowa and I can get my bike there easy to have them do the install. I considered Liberty but they are on the west coast and that is a long way to go for install.
I am going to install on my 97 Heritage Springer.
My questions
Who has one? Do you like it? How is the quality? How does it ride? How much room for the passenger?
Does it require any permanent changes to the bike, Steel, frame, seats or bags? If I want to remove to go for a ride on 2 wheels how difficult and how obvious is the remaining hardware? How does the paint match up to the original bike paint? Do I need to rake the front end? Anything unique handling wise ( I know side hacks effect handling), looking for anything unique to this design and install.
Thanks in advance
Any pictures would be appreciated. With hotties encouraged. HA!
I had one for two years (sold it to get a trike). I absolutely loved it. I took it off of my Deluxe about once every two weeks to ride solo and the only hardware left on it was two brackets attached the the bottom of the frame (unnoticeable). They paint matched my Spyder sidecar to the Deluxe and it was right on the money. I drove from VA Beach VA to Sibley Iowa to have mine installed. Mary, the owner of Motorvation Sidecars, took great care of me during the whole process. Plan on staying at least one day in Sibley to allow them to do a proper install. It'll take a while before you're totally comfortable driving the sidecar, but it's a piece of cake after a few days. Buy yourself a 50 lb or greater weight to put in the sidecar so you don't fly the wheel taking off ramps on the interstate. If you do fly the wheel, just tap the front brake a little and it will drop down.

By the way, here's what mine looked like.

Bubba

Attached Thumbnails Motorvation Spyder SideHack-image.jpeg  

Last edited by Bubba49; 04-28-2016 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:43 PM
sgoharley
Tourer

Thanks Bubba. Looks awesome. I spoke to Mary today. Seems like a great lady

Old 04-28-2016, 09:44 PM
Bubba49
Road Master

I forgot something important. Make sure you have a new rear tire on your bike when you get the sidecar installed. I didn't and had to stop in Arkansas to get one installed because sidecars eat up rear tires (wear the tread faster than normal). I think it's because of the weight and the fact that you are no longer leaning to turn.

By the way, tell Mary that John Costner said "Hey", when you see her. And make her take you downtown for lunch... Sibley only has like two restaurants (and one hotel).

Bubba

Attached Thumbnails Motorvation Spyder SideHack-image.jpeg  

Last edited by Bubba49; 04-28-2016 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:42 AM
Bubba49
Road Master

Originally Posted by sgoharley
Thanks Bubba. Looks awesome. I spoke to Mary today. Seems like a great lady
I also forgot to mention that installation does not require any permanent changes to your bike. Mine had saddle bags and they remained during installation. The Spyder I had on my Deluxe was superb in quality. Motorvation has many items that you can select to have installed. I would highly recommend a tonneau cover to keep rain out and such. Also the dolly wheels so you can take the sidecar off at will. I had them install a dog tether too as I had two dogs that loved to ride in it.

Bubba

Old 05-04-2016, 10:16 PM
sgoharley
Tourer

Thanks Bubba, they have like 45 units on the board now so I won't be getting one till fall or later. I will ask for lunch and maybe even a beer. Ha

Old 05-04-2016, 10:58 PM
Bubba49
Road Master

Yeah, I had to wait four months to get mine. But, I ordered it in the winter so I could get it in by spring. At least you won't have a 1700+ mile ride back home like I did.

Bubba

Old 06-04-2017, 07:06 AM
Sidehacker
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ever get the Spyder? Here's a picture of mine.
My Spyder

Old 08-29-2017, 11:15 PM
mercury01
Cruiser
Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Sidehacker: NICE

Quick Reply: Motorvation Spyder SideHack