Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Aluma Trailers

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 09:07 PM
mbranscum
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aluma Trailers

Looking at purchasing a Aluma MC2F folding trailer.

This one
http://www.alumaklm.com/recreational/motorcycle/mc2f-folding-motorcycle-trailer

Anyone have any experience with one of these specific models?

Thanks.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:21 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I don't know anyone that has the folding model but the non-folding ones get great reviews for people that use an open trailer. I was looking hard at their mc10. I usually ride most places but occational trailer it as the G/F can't handle the long days in the seat and weather. Plus taking it in for service would be a lot easier.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:42 AM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 91 Posts

Sorry I can't help you with the folding trailer, but my '03 Aluma has well over 100,000 mile on it. They make a great product.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:38 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,382 Likes on 4,003 Posts

Originally Posted by mbranscum
Looking at purchasing a Aluma MC2F folding trailer.

This one
http://www.alumaklm.com/recreational...rcycle-trailer

Anyone have any experience with one of these specific models?

Thanks.
My friend has a Kendon folding trailer. I never really liked the concept, but he towed an Ultra & Switchback from San Diego to Phoenix with no problem. It folds nicely in his side yard.

I needed a trailer recently and borrowed his Kendon. I towed my Heritage. It worked, but I thought it was just a tad too small and it was awkward to load due to the small ramp.

I looked into folding trailers and found the Aluma MC2F. It seemed to be just a bit more substantial than the Kendon. 14" wheels v 13" wheels and seemed sturdier.

I found this comparison:

http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...review.973886/

If I decide to get one, I will probably go with the Aluma....

Good luck with your decision...

Old 05-10-2016, 09:46 PM
RoadsterGlide
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had an MC2F for my sport bike when trailering to the Dragon and other riding areas down south and it worked out well, mostly. I think I paid $2500 for it new back in 2007. You can stand it up when folded, but I never attempted folding it by myself...in my experience it was more than a one man job to upright it. The ramp that comes with it slides out from under the folding portion of the trailer and has a lip that attaches to back end. I thought the ramp was too short and narrow, so I bought a wider and longer aftermarket ramp so that I was more comfortable in riding the bike up on the trailer. I didn't care for the wheel chock that came with it, so I bolted on a Condor chock for better stability. The only issue is that I only got one shot in lining up the front end of the bike with a chock like the Condor when riding it up the ramp...you don't see the chock until the front end of the bike drops down before rolling onto the chock. I also adde a LED lighting kit from the dealer, as well as reflective safety tape. In the end I spent more money modifying it for my needs than I really intended to...I had another grand in it by the time I was done (Condor, spare tire, longer ramp, bottle jack, etc). I didn't have a truck, but my Toyota Camry towed the trailer nicely, almost without effort, with either my sport bike or the Street Glide I had at the time. I held on to the trailer for a few years after selling my sport bike, but eventually sold it because I seldom used it for the HD (plenty of dealers in the area for servicing), and I was always concerned about safety when loading it by myself. YMMV. PM me if you want to know more.

Attached Thumbnails Aluma Trailers-p7290326.jpg  
Old 05-11-2016, 07:25 AM
s76helipilot
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Can't help you with the folding trailer but I was looking for a single bike open and found an Aluma on Craigslist. The night before I went to go look at it a Worthington happened to pop up not far from the Aluma.

I went to look at both and ended up buying the Worthington. It made the Aluma look like a toy. It has a much higher nose guard and a nice very long ramp which make getting the Ultra nice and easy getting on and off. Overall much better built. You can jump up and down on the fenders, unlike the Aluma which looked like they would break off.

Last edited by s76helipilot; 05-11-2016 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Pic
Old 05-11-2016, 07:54 AM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I just bought the MC1F solo unit. I trailered my Ultra about 1200 miles 2 weeks ago. I put 47 PSI in the tires and went. Behind my Toyota Sienna van, cruising at 75 I got 17.8 MPG. The van without the trailer gets 22.6 MPG. I guess if I slow down I would get better milage.

I had a double Kenden and did not like it. The fenders were shaking and needed to be repaired. The paint was always pealing off and rusting. Good idea but not there yet. The factory ramp sucked !!! I had to carry a after market ramp to load safely.

With the folding Aluma trailer it came with a narrow ramp also. Could not deal with it and added two side ramps made from my aftermarket one I used with the Kenden. I will say that the Aluma is better made, fenders rock solid at highway speed and the trailer bed is pinned to stay flat rather than using the bike as its back bone. Just like everything else, some people love Kenden, some love Aluma.... I had both and like the Aluma better. Best Trailer I can have living in a HOA. Also you will upgrade to a Condor or other wheel chock, the Aluma is not a wheel holding/ locking.

Last edited by HDJIM1158; 05-11-2016 at 08:00 AM.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:56 PM
Colt S
2nd Gear

Jim (HDJIM)- The side ramps you made look like a perfect fit. I recently got an Aluma MD1F and would like to do the same set up. Can you let me know what ramp you started with and what alterations you made.
Thanks

Old 12-19-2016, 07:28 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
My friend has a Kendon folding trailer. I never really liked the concept, but he towed an Ultra & Switchback from San Diego to Phoenix with no problem. It folds nicely in his side yard.

I needed a trailer recently and borrowed his Kendon. I towed my Heritage. It worked, but I thought it was just a tad too small and it was awkward to load due to the small ramp.

I looked into folding trailers and found the Aluma MC2F. It seemed to be just a bit more substantial than the Kendon. 14" wheels v 13" wheels and seemed sturdier.

I found this comparison:

http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...review.973886/

If I decide to get one, I will probably go with the Aluma....

Good luck with your decision...
there is an updated kendon dual trailer. they call it srl technology (suspension reactive loading). you can ride on to load a lot easier than with the original one. it is a little more expensive, about $3600 vs $3200, and they do have a retrofit kit available for the older kendon (about $900).

been looking at getting the kendon, but will check out that link above. thanks....

kendon makes a single srl and a dual srl, 1 bike or 2, but concept is the same. here's a video of the new one (in a single):

Last edited by skratch; 12-19-2016 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:57 PM
Keith Raimbault
Stage I

Originally Posted by RoadsterGlide
I had an MC2F for my sport bike when trailering to the Dragon and other riding areas down south and it worked out well, mostly. I think I paid $2500 for it new back in 2007. You can stand it up when folded, but I never attempted folding it by myself...in my experience it was more than a one man job to upright it. The ramp that comes with it slides out from under the folding portion of the trailer and has a lip that attaches to back end. I thought the ramp was too short and narrow, so I bought a wider and longer aftermarket ramp so that I was more comfortable in riding the bike up on the trailer. I didn't care for the wheel chock that came with it, so I bolted on a Condor chock for better stability. The only issue is that I only got one shot in lining up the front end of the bike with a chock like the Condor when riding it up the ramp...you don't see the chock until the front end of the bike drops down before rolling onto the chock. I also adde a LED lighting kit from the dealer, as well as reflective safety tape. In the end I spent more money modifying it for my needs than I really intended to...I had another grand in it by the time I was done (Condor, spare tire, longer ramp, bottle jack, etc). I didn't have a truck, but my Toyota Camry towed the trailer nicely, almost without effort, with either my sport bike or the Street Glide I had at the time. I held on to the trailer for a few years after selling my sport bike, but eventually sold it because I seldom used it for the HD (plenty of dealers in the area for servicing), and I was always concerned about safety when loading it by myself. YMMV. PM me if you want to know more.
What replacement ramp did you get and how much was it