Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Thinking of buying a pull behind Trailer!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 12:53 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Thinking of buying a pull behind Trailer!

After completing a 4,100 mile trip to Yellowstone last month I am thinking of Buying a pull behind Trailer for my ultra limited. No matter how much we have downsized our packing we still end up with very little room. Now I have a good friend who rides a Golding who pulls a Bustech. There a little pricy for me. Been looking at trailers in the 1,500 range. Lots of choices. My Question is has anyone here pulled one. What are your thoughts on this? My Goldwing friend says he Doesn't even feel his. Probably won't start looking real hard at these till early next year. Heck I'm still in recovery mode from this trip.
Thanks in Advance.... Mike

Old 07-04-2016, 07:18 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

I've seen trailers guys bought from Harbor freight and made campers out of them. And one's where they put one of those X-Cargo boxes from Sears on it, because it's weather-proof. Are you looking just for carrying things?.,,,,

Old 07-04-2016, 08:04 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,589 Posts

I had a cheaper "Pod" pull-behind trailer years that I pulled with my '92 Heritage.
Later on I bought an Escapade (Ca Sidecars), which I still have.

Regardless of cost, most any trailer will haul your cargo but there are some differences.
Appearance is of course much better with a more expensive trailer, and in some cases (a factory matching color/paint scheme to your motorcycle may be available) but more importantly to me is that my trailer has air suspension which eliminates bounce and is less of a concern on bumpy and or curvy roads.

Either way, you'll find yourself taking more and more "stuff" on trips!

A swivel-tongue hitch is a MUST, and a tongue mounted cooler is a nice accessory.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:25 PM
nocarb
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mike in dallas
After completing a 4,100 mile trip to Yellowstone last month I am thinking of Buying a pull behind Trailer for my ultra limited. No matter how much we have downsized our packing we still end up with very little room. Now I have a good friend who rides a Golding who pulls a Bustech. There a little pricy for me. Been looking at trailers in the 1,500 range. Lots of choices. My Question is has anyone here pulled one. What are your thoughts on this? My Goldwing friend says he Doesn't even feel his. Probably won't start looking real hard at these till early next year. Heck I'm still in recovery mode from this trip.

You won't regret it. I have had an American Legend for many years. Pulls well and lots of storage. If I had to get another one I think it would be an N-line because I think American Legend is out of business.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:07 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master

It's not for camping, just hauling luggage and stuff.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:49 AM
HarleyGTP
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 42 Posts

There's a whole section for trailering conversations...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/hacke...railering-100/

The following users liked this post:
mike in dallas (07-05-2016)
Old 07-05-2016, 10:15 AM
mcdaniel52761
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike in dallas
Wife and I took a 5000 mile trip on our Limited last year out to the Black Hills, Red Lodge, and Yellowstone and seriously debated on buying a trailer. We wound up getting everything we wanted to take in the saddlebags, tourpak, and a bag on top of the luggage rack. It was a three week trip and we mailed our shirts and other small trinkets back home from the local post office about once a week. One concern was being able to find a parking place with a trailer attached as well as theft if you leave it set for the day without it. Most people probably wouldn't have an issue with this but my luck dictates otherwise. We don't go on long trips often enough to justify the cost either. I can mail a LOT of packages back home vs the cost of a trailer and having it sit around deteriorating the rest of the time. That said, if we were retired and took two or three trips like that a year, it might be an option.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:01 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master

I have had the same thoughts on this. Seems like on every trip whether short or long we never seem to have enough room. The one I am looking at is around $1,500-1,700. So I'm giving it a real hard look. Several people we talked to on this last trip never unhook them. They never seem to have any trouble parking. I know we would use it but it would only be about twice a year. We mailed plenty of stuff home and still were packed IMO. Every one who has one loves it. Just trying to decide by early next year.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:05 PM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 91 Posts

We bought our Aluma in 2003 and have well over 100,000 miles on it. Wouldn't travel without it. Leave the motel, throw the bags in and go. Stop for lunch, throw the helmets and jackets in and eat. Just makes traveling so much easier for us. We switched from bias ply tires to radials and added a swivel hitch. Pulls like a dream. A week into it you should know what you can do and where you can go with a trailer behind you.

mike in dallas (07-07-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 03:45 PM
sbaumann14
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

how much do you plan to use it? I put mine together myself, modified it for my own purposes, and my daughter used it to move some of her stuff to college (I use a ball hitch so I can use it on a car or bike). Never fails to start a conversation wherever we stop. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/hacke...-and-mods.html

mike in dallas (07-09-2016)

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a pull behind Trailer!