Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Srvicar rear end left / right side drive

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 11:16 AM
Nico7
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Srvicar rear end left / right side drive

HEY GUYS
I'm a newbie to the site but have been ridin scoots all my life

I'm starting on a trike build, sporty frame to a servicer rear frame, no problems there other than some custom fab work. the question I had for anyone out there is,,,,,,,,,,

has any one used a servi car rear end converted or switched from left side drive to right side drive?

I heard just flipping the rear around and just dealing with the wheel cylinder backing plate having to be switched. can this flip be done safely???,,, or do I need to remove the axle housings and actually put the long axle on the left and the shorty on the right?
I haven't yet gotten to this part just yet so I'm looking for some experienced guys that may have done this or ideas

thank you

Old 12-19-2016, 05:50 PM
FreedomRider
Road Master
Received 337 Likes on 241 Posts

Have not done it myself but have seen it done when mating a Pan to a trike rear ... what I remember a flip of the rear axle and making sure things lined up was about all that was needed ... I don't remember what they did, if anything, with the brakes ...

since you want to mate it with a Sportster the axle may not need to be flipped ... a Sporty drives from the right side and so did the Servi-cars ... they used the 45 engine and tranny which is right hand drive ... you will want to make sure things line up though ...

you might even consider a trike conversion like Frankenstein ... it attaches directly to the Sportster frame