Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Sidecar for Rushmore

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 03:02 AM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts
Default Sidecar for Rushmore

I have been giving some serious thought into getting a sidecar made for my FLHTCU. I have a 12 year old and 2 small dogs I feel are missing out on some great times.

I have read some threads on sidecars for pre Rushmore but not finding much for Rushmore bikes...I could be an idiot though and not able to find it.

Looking for a company that will be able to make the sidecar look like it came with the bike as far as matching the current wheels, chrome, paint, and style. Also needs to be detachable relatively easily without leaving a bunch of evidence that a sidecar can be attached.

Anyone have any experience, advice, or direction you can steer me in? Any estimate on budget I would need?

Thanks,

Kevin

Old 02-07-2017, 03:23 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,603 Likes on 5,172 Posts

Not going to be cheap to do it right. Rider I know is hard core side car owner did it to his Rushmore. On his he had to move the radiator lowers a bit by time he got done with every thing he was in it 15K.
Honestly you maybe better off just having a different ride with a side car. I put one on my 1996 FB. My other ride .
Sidecar is a lot more than just bolting one on. You get into raked trees, Steering stabilizers.
They are fun and different. Mine was a project for a granddaughter in a wheel chair so she got to ride.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:40 AM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by smitty901
Not going to be cheap to do it right. Rider I know is hard core side car owner did it to his Rushmore. On his he had to move the radiator lowers a bit by time he got done with every thing he was in it 15K.
Honestly you maybe better off just having a different ride with a side car. I put one on my 1996 FB. My other ride .
Sidecar is a lot more than just bolting one on. You get into raked trees, Steering stabilizers.
They are fun and different. Mine was a project for a granddaughter in a wheel chair so she got to ride.
Thanks for info. I don't have radiators on my bike. Did your friend have to rake his trees and add a stabilizer as well or was it 15k for the custom job?

Old 02-07-2017, 03:55 AM
Hasher
Road Captain
Received 331 Likes on 180 Posts
The following users liked this post:
crnt918 (02-27-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 05:48 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

I wonder how much those cool URAL sidecar bikes are now? They weren't too much a few years back and of course they are Putin approved so you know they're good.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:11 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by dixonk
Thanks for info. I don't have radiators on my bike. Did your friend have to rake his trees and add a stabilizer as well or was it 15k for the custom job?
Yes he is a perfectionist and wanted it right. So many you see are done half *** like so much with HD. Looking for cheapest. Big difference in saving money and going cheap. My Sidecar on the FB came in at just under $5000 when all done. I did not use a raked tree but the steering stabilizer was a good idea. The Python 2-1 exhaust was a bad pick. It will be changed down the road. Not prefect yet but works well for what I wanted it for.
Not bad for a 21 year old EVO

Last edited by smitty901; 02-07-2017 at 06:14 AM.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:16 AM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by lp
I wonder how much those cool URAL sidecar bikes are now? They weren't too much a few years back and of course they are Putin approved so you know they're good.
Top speed of 55mph no thanks. They are neat though.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:17 AM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by smitty901
Yes he is a perfectionist and wanted it right. So many you see are done half *** like so much with HD. Looking for cheapest. Big difference in saving money and going cheap. My Sidecar on the FB came in at just under $5000 when all done. I did not use a raked tree but the steering stabilizer was a good idea. The Python 2-1 exhaust was a bad pick. It will be changed down the road. Not prefect yet but works well for what I wanted it for.
Not bad for a 21 year old EVO

That is a nice hack there! My brother has a 98 fat boy...wonder if he would part with it

Old 02-07-2017, 08:37 AM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Thank you for this link. That heritage looks ****. I can imagine it with a matching wheel, fender and paint. Looking at the options it would be hard to not check all options. Looks like it can be done for less than 10k. Wonder if they would use Ohlins instead of Progressive...my OCD would have a problem with mismatched suspension.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:25 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by dixonk
That is a nice hack there! My brother has a 98 fat boy...wonder if he would part with it
I know I will not part with that one until dead or I can not ride anymore. Second son gets it then. Lot of other bikes have come and gone it is still here. It gets a radio this year for granddaughter.
Not an impossible task to do but if your not doing a drop off with check install be ready to do your home work and do a lot of work.

dixonk good luck . keep us posted it will be a journey. It will burn up some time and cash. If you have never ridden a hack . There is a learning curve.

Last edited by smitty901; 02-07-2017 at 10:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Sidecar for Rushmore