Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Sidecar for Rushmore

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 11:03 AM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
I know I will not part with that one until dead or I can not ride anymore. Second son gets it then. Lot of other bikes have come and gone it is still here. It gets a radio this year for granddaughter.
Not an impossible task to do but if your not doing a drop off with check install be ready to do your home work and do a lot of work.

dixonk good luck . keep us posted it will be a journey. It will burn up some time and cash. If you have never ridden a hack . There is a learning curve.
Ya I found out that quick. I go the Philippines a lot and the local police came by for drinks one day and let me take their motorcycle with sidecar around the block. All was good till I came flying around the corner and the damn sidecar came off the ground. Boy am I glad that was just a little 150cc bike and a light sidecar. I was able to get it straight again.

Old 02-08-2017, 02:28 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

Some school of though says if side car comes up to easy it is not setup right. Try a highway ramp that banks right up hill sharp curve with a nice bank. Go to fast it gets interesting.
New experiences like a flat on the side car, that can be a hand full.
If/when the day comes I can no longer hold a 1000 lbs touring bike up with wife and I one it a side will be the answer. No fan of trikes. The one I have now on the FB was to allow a Grandchild in a wheel chair the chance to ride at 7 . My children all of the grand children all start riding a 7. She got her chance like the rest to ride in parade at 7. She loves that side car. That made it all worth while . If the side car is not going to be your everyday rider. Seriously consider shopping around. You may find it a better deal to have a second ride.
Local dealer just had a 2004 Touring bike with a nice Side car all done up right and looking good. Went for under 14K.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:40 AM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Some school of though says if side car comes up to easy it is not setup right. Try a highway ramp that banks right up hill sharp curve with a nice bank. Go to fast it gets interesting.
New experiences like a flat on the side car, that can be a hand full.
If/when the day comes I can no longer hold a 1000 lbs touring bike up with wife and I one it a side will be the answer. No fan of trikes. The one I have now on the FB was to allow a Grandchild in a wheel chair the chance to ride at 7 . My children all of the grand children all start riding a 7. She got her chance like the rest to ride in parade at 7. She loves that side car. That made it all worth while . If the side car is not going to be your everyday rider. Seriously consider shopping around. You may find it a better deal to have a second ride.
Local dealer just had a 2004 Touring bike with a nice Side car all done up right and looking good. Went for under 14K.
Ya I was thinking of just looking into an older bike already done up. Also seeing that Ural can actually do up to 70mph now which is something to consider. I just bought a second bike last year...Vrod. Not sure what wife would say about bike #3...I guess if it's for the kids and the dogs the dynamics of the conversation changes.

PS: I didn't realize the thread was moved. In turn I found out there is a special section for this I was unaware existed (or I simply never looked)

Old 02-08-2017, 05:51 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Do your research on the URAL. basic junk and lot of issues.
Speed and sidecar don't work well in same sentence. One side car put a load on the bike.
I would not run mine over 70 mph. I have seen a side car on a Vrod.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:06 AM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Do your research on the URAL. basic junk and lot of issues.
Speed and sidecar don't work well in same sentence. One side car put a load on the bike.
I would not run mine over 70 mph. I have seen a side car on a Vrod.
I have a CVO Vrod. Won't be adding a sidecar to that one. That's my little garage queen. I use it when wife isn't with me and I can act a fool.

Ya Ural scares me with reliability and not sure if I am ready to have a Russian bike in my garage. Plus my motorcycle garage is painted orange already. OCD.

Thanks for all the help and info Smitty.

The following users liked this post:
whocares (02-20-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 01:18 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Orange ,Silver and Black how can you go wrong.

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/144658281@N02/, on Flickr

Old 02-09-2017, 12:45 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 664 Posts

A second vote for Hannigan. I put one on my wife's '05 FLHT, then put one on my '00 Road Glide. The paint, fit and finish were great. The ECC (Electric Camber Control) is a must have, makes riding a hack much easier.

I will be putting one on my new '16 Road Glide later this year.

The following users liked this post:
smitty901 (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 01:20 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Looks great

Old 02-10-2017, 06:13 AM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 453 Likes on 280 Posts

Both are nice looking rigs!

Old 02-14-2017, 07:12 AM
d-streetglidr
Road Warrior
Location: South Carolina-First to secede and hopefully the next.
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I did mine last year and my only regret was not doing it sooner. O bought mine off CL and have about 4100 into it. Wife and dog like it and I can run a tank of gas out no problem.

Pic during install:

Sidecar for Rushmore-img_0652.jpg

This is the most current pic I have from last fall. I still want to get the sidecar tire and wheel changed. I want to put a 17x3 inch wheel on the front. And repaint the car.

Sidecar for Rushmore-img_0258.jpg

If you want to go to a hack you will need to do your due diligence. Setup is critical and it will take time to get it right. I can ride mine with one hand at 70mph. Road surfaces can have a huge impact. Riding/driving is completely different than 2 wheel anything. Gas mileage will be reduced significantly. My car is heavy by design so I don't worry much about lifting it but it does cut my mileage to about 20mpg or so.

There is a section on the adv rider forum on sidecars and those guys are a load of help and information.

and in the fwiw category....I just bought a Suzuki GS500F to run around on. The sidecar rig just seems to be overkill for running errands.

Last edited by d-streetglidr; 02-14-2017 at 07:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Sidecar for Rushmore