Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Pulling a motorcycle camper

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 04:36 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

I pull a small pop-up camper. You do know it's back there and it probably cuts down your gas mileage by 20 to 25%. Spring for the electric brakes option if you get a camper. People will tell you that you just need to anticipate your stops and allow more time. I'm still trying to figure out how to do that in a panic type situation. For example if someone cuts you off, an animal jumps out in front of you, etc.

Old 04-09-2017, 06:15 PM
PanheadJoe
Advanced
Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

I've pulled trailers with every Harley dresser I've owned. Never had a problem. If you load it correctly, you won't even know it's there. I literally have to look in the mirror once in a while to make sure the trailer is still back there. Mine is not a camper trailer. It's just a "cargo" trailer that we pull when we go on longer trips so that we don't have to try to tie everything on the bike. Works great!

Old 04-10-2017, 01:56 PM
BikerPepe`
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,845 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
I'm still trying to figure out how to do that in a panic type situation. For example if someone cuts you off, an animal jumps out in front of you, etc.
I set my trailer up with a swiveling hitch, specifically for those emergency situations. If you've ever had to lay your bike down to avoid a worse situation, it's quickly obvious that a hard mounted hitch would work against you.

Coming up over Lincoln Pass in the fading light of dusk, a deer decided to cross the road right in front of me. I was able to swerve hard and avoid hitting the deer with the bike but I still clipped it with the trailer fender.

Shook me hard and nearly crapped my pants but pulled through the wobble and looked in my rear view to see the little bastard spinning around on the road like a top.

Stopped at the nearest gas station (needed some good lighting) and checked everything out. All was well, beyond a slightly dinked fender and some deer hair.

Old 04-10-2017, 02:09 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,246 Likes on 11,135 Posts

I think they are intriguing. And shouldn't be a problem to pull behind my TriGlide. Certainly, it will impact performance and MPG. But, I think it would be really cool to still have the wind in the face and knees in the breeze, and pull in somewhere cool for the night, break out wine, and BBQ.

And I'd probably stick around the California speed limit of 55 for any vehicle pulling a trailer...no matter where I was.

But, my wife said...no way. Actually, I think she said "No f-n way!""

Oh yeah, saw the guy in the attached picture last year in Shasta. Check out the passenger in the trailer. It's not really a camper. He said he just pulls over, and sets up a small tent that he hauls. Rarely has he had any issues for camping the night.

Attached Thumbnails Pulling a motorcycle camper-img_0539.jpg  

Last edited by TriGeezer; 04-10-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:21 PM
etstrine
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KevenC
I would like to know if anybody has, or is pulling one of these small trailers, and how did it work out for you as far as power,and fuel mileage. I have a mostly stock '06 Ultra Classic and need info BEFORE I pull the trigger!!!
Keven, My wife and I pulled a Leesurelite Xcel model all over the eastern US for several years. Used a bone stock 06 Road King. Never had a problem or wanted more power. We now have grand kids and have moved on to a camper that is pulled by my Ram but we do miss the adventure of camping with the Leesurelite. Almost every time we would set up, there would be a group of people watching and asking questions. It was a great way to meet people and make friends. As for the weight, fully loaded it is really not much more then a side car, and I did not have to have stuff packed on the top of my Tour Pak making the bike top heavy. Other then 'do it', my only advice is to make sure you keep your tongue weight around 10 to 15% and ABSOLUTELY do not take your significant other for a ride until you are sure you have the trailer tracking straight when fully loaded. You do NOT want her to be on the bike if the trailer starts waging the tail. You may never get her back on. Ride safe.

Old 05-19-2017, 03:04 PM
Clint44
Road Warrior
Received 660 Likes on 411 Posts

I bought this used Bushtec Roadstar GT trailer last year and still haven't gotten around to installing a hitch on our trike. Need to get off my duff and do so.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:37 PM
Rip53
Advanced
Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Pulled all this including the woman from Denver down to Marfa TX last Sep with 95" Road King. Spent a week camping, great fun. Have been over all the passes in CO, have to go down a gear. Gas mileage in the low 30's. There is definitely a learning curve like any trailer. After tent camping for years it is like a hotel. People love it when you pull in and set up, expect lots of questions!

The following users liked this post:
BikerPepe` (05-21-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 02:23 PM
musicmanray
3rd Gear
Default First Trip with Time Out Deluxe

I just rode from my home in Northern Virginia to pick up a used Time Out Deluxe trailer in Gainesville Florida. Left Wednesday morning and returned late Saturday after a looooong (13-hour) day of riding. Camped in the new trailer on Friday night in Southern Georgia at a State park, then made the long run for home on Saturday.

For my first short experience, I will say it was positive. I ride a 2014 FLHTK for reference. Don't believe those that say you will forget it's back there. You will always know it's there, but it isn't bad at all. Weight distribution inside the camper plays a factor. When I first set out I had that wrong and could tell right away. I've seen other posts cautioning keeping the tongue weight below 20 pounds, but I went too far the opposite. I saw a video using a model car and a treadmill showing how putting more weight behind the trailer wheels than on top of or in front makes the trailer sway more and harder to control. That's exactly what I experienced when I had it wrong. Once I got it moved towards the wheels and forward, still under the 20#'s (checked with a fish scale) it was markedly better. My trailer doesn't have the aerodynamic cooler platform, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to add it. Others mentioned the exhaust sound blowback and that was noticeable, probably due to the flat reflecting surface. I also believe I felt the wind resistance from some headwind. Hopefully, that cooler platform will eliminate those two issues, not to mention, give us somewhere to put a nice RTIC (Heavy Duty, USA made) cooler. It requires more throttle to start, especially uphill. I didn't have any handling problems and I leaned it quite a bit on some of those Georgia and Carolina two-lanes. Surprisingly, it didn't feel much different when braking. At very low speed I seemed to feel some steering wobble, which was a bit odd. Just remember to keep it moving and the wheel pointed forward when braking (Ask me how I figured that one out!).

I did see a pretty big difference in gas mileage. On the way down I was hitting 44 plus. On the way back it went down to the 35 - 38 range. Some of that was probably due to prevailing wind direction. My bike, in general, does WAY better at 65 than 75 or above, so we tend to stay off the Interstates for that and other reasons. Rides nice at those speeds, but sucks the gas! Again, I'm hoping to do better with the trailer by adding that aerodynamic platform.

My wife and I plan to camp across the northern part of the US (Lincoln Highway) this summer eventually ending up near Joshua Tree in California, then back. Two-month trip. From my single night, I can already tell we're gonna love it. And it will be much cheaper than staying in hotels like we did on our Route 66 trip a couple of years ago. That was a pricey way to travel for two months.

Hope this helps out!

The following users liked this post:
KevenC (06-21-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 11:10 PM
BikerPepe`
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,845 Likes on 1,354 Posts

It's not appropriate for you to make remarks about the experience others have had with their trailers. I don't care for being called a liar by anyone, ever, for any reason.

With no cooler or wind-cone on the "time out" camper trailer, you're pulling a brick behind your dresser. With my cargo carrier, aerodynamic shape and very low weight, I'm having a very different experience than you are, guaranteed.

I carry a big, comfy tent inside my trailer and while I will grant you have great convenience with the "pop-up" design, I have much greater versatility and more space. I carry a blow-up bed that sits nearly as tall as my regular bed and a coleman tent with pop-up frame design that makes it much faster and simpler to use than a traditional tent.

I'm not saying one is any better than another. I've known folks with a Time-Out and admired them. My point is, running one type of trailer, on one run home from purchase, doesn't give you the credentials to talk **** about what others have said.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:34 PM
musicmanray
3rd Gear

It's not appropriate for you to make remarks about the experience others have had with their trailers. I don't care for being called a liar by anyone, ever, for any reason.

With no cooler or wind-cone on the "time out" camper trailer, you're pulling a brick behind your dresser. With my cargo carrier, aerodynamic shape and very low weight, I'm having a very different experience than you are, guaranteed.
Huh. Don't see where my relating personal experience amounts to calling anyone a liar. (And, I made specific reference to the lack of aerodynamic accoutrements.) However, I apologize to anyone who felt attacked by my post. I assure you, it was not intended in that way!

Quick Reply: Pulling a motorcycle camper