Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Custom Hardtail Trike on a budget! Building of a Beast

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 04:04 AM
Fearlessleader
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Hardtail Trike on a budget! Building of a Beast

Hi I started post pictures and the story behind the build for my wifes new custom trike in the photo gallery. I was not sure where to post the thread for discussion about it. I will continue to update it there till the build is done. but I hope to hear everyones thoughts about it. If this is the wrong place please let me know where the dicussion belongs. Also how can I link the photo gallery to here or where the dicussion should be?
Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Custom Hardtail Trike on a budget! Building of a Beast-trike14-09-08-018.jpg  
Old 09-15-2008, 07:32 AM
grimm
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks like its off to a good start! what kind of frame is that? which rear end arer you going to use? are you doing the work, yourself?

keep us posted!

Old 09-15-2008, 07:33 AM
grimm
Road Master

oh....yes, you are in the right place for this.

what made your wife want a trike?

Old 09-15-2008, 10:48 AM
FBTRIKE
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loooking Goood!

Keep the pics comin as it progresses.........

Old 09-15-2008, 11:44 AM
grimm
Road Master

glad you're starting a new project. been kind of slow around here, lately. seems like it has just been fbtrike and myself. i was getting lonely.....

Old 09-15-2008, 03:38 PM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Finally, someone building a custom from scratch. Im still collecting parts for my custom build. Ill post pictures too. But wont be able to start the build till my business slows in fall. Im getting ready to purchase a new table lift first http://www.derekweaver.com/update/Pr...uct.aspx?id=11

I like how your rear fenders encompass your wheels. I may be making my own front fender. may be making my own custom bucket seat as well. Their a pain and allot of time and about 5+ lbs of moulding clay to start for shaping the foam pour. Ive also 27+ years of airbrushing experience. Tho I havent come up with the design concept yet. But I will.

RJ

Old 09-15-2008, 08:56 PM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master

During the 105th I saw a chromed DFT trike rear end at Uke's in Kenosha, WI. The thing is a work of art. They also had a V-Rod with very custom metal rear body. I'm thinking about using their rear end for a custom build using my Sportster as the base. And for you S&S fans they had an X-Wedge custom trike that is really nice. Too many choices too little time.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:59 PM
Fearlessleader
Cruiser

Originally Posted by grimm
looks like its off to a good start! what kind of frame is that? which rear end arer you going to use? are you doing the work, yourself?

keep us posted!

Ok There is alot to tell about this one and as long as I am in the right place I will show and tell the whole story
The fram was built in Gibsonburg, HO the guys nunber is 419-637-2986 ask for tony he is a super guy and he built the frame he moslty is a sprint car builder and does this on the side in the off season.

ah rear end you say don't need no stinking rear end *LOL* one wheel peel my friend this is a budget build this is not for the high dollar got to have reverse guys this is for the guy that want a chopper and wants to builld it for a a good price.

Yes the work on this bike is all being done by Billy and Me and of course the Tony that built the frame I can leave him out he gave use the foundation to get started

Old 09-15-2008, 09:08 PM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GT_RoadGlide
During the 105th I saw a chromed DFT trike rear end at Uke's in Kenosha, WI. The thing is a work of art. They also had a V-Rod with very custom metal rear body. I'm thinking about using their rear end for a custom build using my Sportster as the base. And for you S&S fans they had an X-Wedge custom trike that is really nice. Too many choices too little time.
The DFT trike rear end. That's what I'm working with.

RJ

Old 09-15-2008, 09:45 PM
Fearlessleader
Cruiser

Originally Posted by grimm
oh....yes, you are in the right place for this.

what made your wife want a trike?

Ok this is a hard one! My wife loves to ride she is hard core let me tell Ya'. This bike is built to her tast by me. I built my wife had 4 bikes so far 3 metric bikes and a FXD35. I used the first 3 metrics as training bike but she dropped the fist bike the day she got her license when it rolled back at a stop sign on a grade. She got on it and rode it home. In a few days when she was not sore anymore from falling on her butt we went to the high school parking lot for her to practice again and get her confidence back. Well when leaving the parking lot making a left hand turn, well you guessed it she dropped it again. This was a 2004 Suzuki vl800. So I thought I would try a bit smaller bike built her a 05 Yamaha 650 Vstar Silverado. First day she put her leg over it. Nope got you this time !! *lol* she did not drop it she could not lift it off the kick stand. Yep that one was of the front lawn. Now she already had a 06 FXD35 I rebuilt for her waiting for the day she could ride. I bought it as a wreck and rebuilt it to spec real nice bike I had it posted here for sale in spring. The thing was she could lift it but would not ride it until her confidence was back. So I was already building her a really nice little Suzuki vs 800 intruder. Ok she never dropped that one she rode the parking lot a bunch and felt pretty good but when she got on the highway 30 MPH was as fast as she would drive. I think we could have got her past that really but one night at the bar, I like a fool let out that we sold my wife Harley well that was it the boys at the bar busted my ***** to no end for sell her Harley. So Now I said the next time these guys see her she would be on a bike they all could only wish they had. Looking right at the a real big guy sitting on a Sporty *LOL* So one night like mostly I was cruising eBay and saw this frame build to spec any rake or stretch. When I was looking at it, I just thought I could build this because it used a one wheel drive system for a price we could live with. She always had her eye on the trikes but the price tag was just too much, and at most we could afford would be a used metric and that was just not going to do it .
THUS THE BEAST WAS BORN !!

Quick Reply: Custom Hardtail Trike on a budget! Building of a Beast