Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Add a hack to Nightster or get a full rig already set up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 02:39 PM
Beth in Tampa
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Add a hack to Nightster or get a full rig already set up?

Greetings... just found this sections - I usually lurk on the Sportster forum. I am serious about a sidecar... I am hopeful to receive some direction with some very important decisions I need to make, so thought I'd throw a Hail Mary.

I have an '07 HD Sportster XLN (the Nightster, a 1200) that I own outright. After riding Beemers and a Ducati, I was contemplating a Bonneville, but went for the Nightster not only for the retro look and lack of chrome. I am pleased with the bike.

My question- to add a hack or sell the HD & buy a rig someone else has put together? If I add my own, I really like the Motorvation Spyder and the options to set it up with a Nightster fender, wheel, & paint etc... I do not have an unlimited budget, so not sure worth the shipping or whom I could have install here in Tampa (I am a basic wrencher, but not on that level) since I cannot seem to find anyone on the Florida list of retailers/installers who mention the Spyder.I like the retro, minimalist look of the Spyder - I see some Velorexes that are minimalist as well, but not sure as many options for the $$? Not sure what to do... I know this is very subjective but appreciate any & all input.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:26 AM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Beth in Tampa
Greetings... just found this sections - I usually lurk on the Sportster forum. I am serious about a sidecar... I am hopeful to receive some direction with some very important decisions I need to make, so thought I'd throw a Hail Mary.

I have an '07 HD Sportster XLN (the Nightster, a 1200) that I own outright. After riding Beemers and a Ducati, I was contemplating a Bonneville, but went for the Nightster not only for the retro look and lack of chrome. I am pleased with the bike.

My question- to add a hack or sell the HD & buy a rig someone else has put together? If I add my own, I really like the Motorvation Spyder and the options to set it up with a Nightster fender, wheel, & paint etc... I do not have an unlimited budget, so not sure worth the shipping or whom I could have install here in Tampa (I am a basic wrencher, but not on that level) since I cannot seem to find anyone on the Florida list of retailers/installers who mention the Spyder.I like the retro, minimalist look of the Spyder - I see some Velorexes that are minimalist as well, but not sure as many options for the $$? Not sure what to do... I know this is very subjective but appreciate any & all input.
I once see a 883 sportster with a SC and it looked awsome. I'm not sure what SC it had on it but it complimented the bike and the SC did not appear oversized compared to the 883 it was attached too. The SC was painted to match the bike. It was I think an orange/white paint scheme. The SC looked like a motorvation spyder but was no where as big as the spyder or at least utilizing the photo to judge that.

As far as your question there are reall good deals on already setup sc bikes out there. The orange/white one I referenced was under 10,000$ I think it was around 7500$

heres a couple things I've seen along the way:

http://www.watsonian-squire.com/wats..._nightster.htm

http://www.aimag.com/pdfs/readers%20ride.pdf

http://www.dauntlessmotors.com/Sidecars/sidecars.htm

Old 12-26-2008, 06:33 PM
Beth in Tampa
Advanced

Thanks so much for responding to my post - somehow I didn't get notification there was a response! I am still pursuing this- I have been looking at complete hacks for sales but after much investigation, I think I am going to proceed with the Spyder. It is an extra difficult decision with the current offer by Harley to give me 100% MSRP for my '07 Nightie on trade for a Big Twin!!! Very tempting, but the Nightster has been a good bike for me with the type of riding I do and adding the sidecar should enhance that (I can take my dog and a passenger!!!).
Happy holidays - Beth

Old 12-27-2008, 11:29 AM
FBTRIKE
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beth, ifyou like your bike and budget is an issue, have a hack installed. Any good Indy. should be able to do the install. It will come with hardware and instructions. Check around I'm sure you can find someone with the skills to do it for a reasonable price. Good luck and be sure to post if you have it done.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:31 PM
Ultra 08
Elite HDF Member

I agree with FBTRIKE on getting a hack installed. Also, you might want to go for the lightest weight one. Like was mentioned, they come with instructions and are not that hard to adjust for handling once installed. You might also find some good info, or even a good Hack in this forum http://www.sidecar.com/megabbs/category-view.asp but there are others here that can help you a lot also.

Good luck with your project

Old 12-28-2008, 02:31 PM
Beth in Tampa
Advanced

Thanks to you both for your input- Ultra08, I have been lurking on the sidecar site for a couple of months now! I didn't find this forum on the HD forum site later and was hopeful to get more HD-oriented perspective.

My local BMW shop (I used to ride Beemers and a Duc) has sidecar experience, so will likely have them do the work. Mary at Motorvation is quite helpful. If it feels right I might be placing an order there this week

Many thanks and Happy New year! Beth

Old 12-28-2008, 05:32 PM
Ultra 08
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Beth in Tampa
Thanks to you both for your input- Ultra08, I have been lurking on the sidecar site for a couple of months now! I didn't find this forum on the HD forum site later and was hopeful to get more HD-oriented perspective.

My local BMW shop (I used to ride Beemers and a Duc) has sidecar experience, so will likely have them do the work. Mary at Motorvation is quite helpful. If it feels right I might be placing an order there this week

Many thanks and Happy New year! Beth
I think you will be pleased. Happy New Year to you too.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:09 PM
Beth in Tampa
Advanced
Default Pic of a Spyder installed on a Nightster

I received a pic of a Spyder HD on a Nightster today- I think this really helped with my decision! Thought I would share - it looks pretty cool...

Motorvation sure isn't the cheapest hack, but I am hearing good things about them - their quality, service, etc. One downside is the wait, up to 3 months. Anyone other thoughts on the subject before I put down a deposit <gulp>? All comments are appreciated.

Thank you,

Attached Thumbnails Add a hack to Nightster or get a full rig already set up?-nightster-with-spyder.jpg  

Last edited by Beth in Tampa; 12-30-2008 at 06:22 AM.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:19 PM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, it does look good.

Old 07-03-2016, 02:03 PM
rodhotter
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

old i know, wondering if your "hacking" yet torquey bikes make good tugs + your full frame aids installation. although "not hard" for some the install gotta be right!! i recently scored a preowned spyder, the wait is even longer now i believe. i am fortunate to have FreedomSidecars an honest pro shop only 35 miles away, they build + or install any configuration correctly. my spyder come off a 2004 bonneville + will install easily on the same frame bonnie from 2001 to 2015 i believe, not as torquey as a sportster but a good priced bike + enough power for a rookie "sidecarist" shopping preowned can save $$$$

Quick Reply: Add a hack to Nightster or get a full rig already set up?