Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Trike Build Update

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 05:36 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FLGEEZ
Thanks,

That I can handle. Up and Forward. Simple, elegant, and much better looking.
Flgeez, I was looking at the drawing. The Spacers are to be cut 9/16's. I have the drawing labeled at 5/8, which is incorrect. Please make a note of this. I was tired and pressed for time when trying to get the results up on line.

RJ

Old 12-11-2008, 01:38 PM
FBTRIKE
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zoood.
The trailer body is going to look great! Are you going to have to do some fiberglass work after you cut it for the passenger seat?
Thanks for the link to the fender brackets...I'll have to get started on some.
Keep up the good work.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:35 PM
zoood
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by FBTRIKE
Zoood.
The trailer body is going to look great! Are you going to have to do some fiberglass work after you cut it for the passenger seat?
Thanks for the link to the fender brackets...I'll have to get started on some.
Keep up the good work.

Im sure I'll be doing glass work. I plan on using the metal I use for my heat deflectors to make just the right shape. Then Ill cover that, inside and out with the glass.

I'll be painting the body black and will match the pin striping thats on the scoot.
If you take notice. The way that body slopes downwards in the front by the passenger's floor boards. Im planning on placing air scoops (heat scoops) to channel allot of heat that comes back past the engine and then goes up because of the trikes body. That heat usually ends up coming forward when your in motion. because of the "back draft" the trikes and baggers produce. Plus the heat that the deflectors dispel downwards will also get collected by those vents. It wont catch it all. But I'm betting I will notice a difference.

RJ

Old 12-15-2008, 07:51 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Default Build Up-Date

I have finished figuring-out and fabricating the required bumper and body mount for my build. This frame is attached at 5 locations on the trike casting. I used 1/8" angle verses 3/16". With the proper bracing applied. I now have a finished fabricated light weight brace with strength. The design of this brace allows for removal as one piece with ease, just in case.

More updates can be seen here- http://www.rjsoriginals.bizland.com/...ld/93trike.htm

RJ

Old 12-15-2008, 11:04 AM
FBTRIKE
Road Captain

Looking good..........Nice work Zoood. I have an old stick welder and an oxy/accel torch that I use, but would love to get a tig or mig unit.
What type of unit are you useing? Any recommendations?

Old 12-15-2008, 05:10 PM
zoood
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by FBTRIKE
Looking good..........Nice work Zoood. I have an old stick welder and an oxy/accel torch that I use, but would love to get a tig or mig unit.
What type of unit are you useing? Any recommendations?
All I have is a 90amp flux wire welder and a portable band saw. I used my welder to set everything in it's place and then carried that frame to neighbors and used his stick welder. Cant ever make a weld too strong, right?

Also, I had just received my new regal 08 mustang seat. The salesman said it wouldn't fit. I love when they tell me that! The word challenge pops into my head. I'll post pictures of that tomorrow. It fits fine. Of course I had to modify it a little. All that needed to be done. Was to remove 4 of the 6 rubber feet from the bottom of the seat and I had to lengthen the tongue or cross member for the front seat catch. I already knew about the 2" gap I would have between the center console and the seat tip. But I'm working on plans to lengthen my console.

RJ

Old 12-17-2008, 06:24 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Default trike build update

My seat arrived. Tho it's for an 08 with a 6 gallon tank. I modified it allowing it to set lower on the frame instead of on the rubber feet that it came with. The newer seats IMO are more comfortable than the seats that were made for my year's build,(93). The nose on these newer seats are shorter for the 6 gallon tanks. Ive future plans of making a modification to my existent center console to allow it to butt against the seat's tip. I'll also be lengthening the tongue on the underneath side of seat to allow it to catch the seat hook of the bike.

I also started altering the trike's fiber-glass body wheel well openings to accommodate 9" wide wheels.

More updates can be viewed here -
http://www.rjsoriginals.bizland.com/...ld/93trike.htm

RJ

Old 12-23-2008, 07:21 PM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Default Trike Build Update

Just click the pics

A Steel Seat Catch was added under the (2) rear tank mounting bolts.

Tank Console has been stripped and along with the space between; will be concealed by an extended aluminum cover, bonded with a black vinyl surface and edged with neoprene rubber "U" channel.

A 135 Decibel Air Horn was mounted within the rear fender. The curvature of the fender will direct the sound down towards the ground. I believe this will cover more of an area than just aiming the horns in one direction.

Horn Compressor & Relay,
mounted and wired within the rear fender.

Cover or Trap Door,
allowing access to the Horn and Closed to the proposed cargo area.

More Pictures

RJ

Old 12-24-2008, 12:22 PM
FBTRIKE
Road Captain

I just love your coverage of the build. I plan on doing something similar under my fender. Mounting horn, alarm and air suspension compressor under there.
Have a merry Christmas......

Old 01-06-2009, 09:17 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Default Took the Trike for a Test Ride

Well I had that urge to try the trike out. Though it's still unfinished.
I just needed to experience the difference compared to a 2 wheeler.

I pulled out of my driveway onto this country road here. Mind you,...
I had no helmet on, nor did the trike have rear lights or even a license plate.
Besides. Its just a back woods country road with very minimal local traffic.

Handling was totally different than what I was use to. But in time I knew I will get the feel for it.
With a hard take-off. It was cool seeing dual rubber marks on the pavement.
The tires grabbed well and the front end just loved coming up off the ground.
Though its reckless in another's eyes to see me constantly pulling wheelies. I was having a blast!

For a moment, I heard a strange noise. One that was garbled and coming from the rear.
Dam! Now what? I heard it again,... only it was much louder! I started listening at all different angles while riding the trike.
And sure enough,... there's that noise again! I turned to look towards the back of the trike. Noticing the problem stood out like a sore dik in a VD clinic!
I had a freakin cop on my *** trying to get me to pull over!!!!

Dam! No lights! No Helmet! No license plate. I'm screwed!

I immediately did what any other old school biker would do.

I took off! Though I had mirrors mounted on my inner fairing. I didnt even look to see where he was.
I just knew he was right on my ***. I knew I wouldn't have a chance to loose him on the paved road.
Especially when I tried to pull my first high speed turn. Much wider than I had anticipated and it placed me on the other side of the road.
Now I have reckless driving added. My heart was throbbin and both hands had a death grip on the steering. Just after that hairy turn.
I shot through a farmers gate and out in the pasture I went. For a moment I felt like I was on a cattle drive! Cows were scattering all over the place.
I did a large circle back and noticed that the cop had stopped to avoid hitting any cattle. I shot back through that gate and out on the pavement again.
I have no idea how fast I was moving. But any Nas Car driver would be impressed at how fast I pulled into my garage and closed the door!

I got out by my fence and watched to see if the cop was still in pursuit. Sure enough! Hammer down! and he flew right by my place.
As I saw him disappear down the road, it leaves me thinking about the ordeal I just went through. I'm sure some of you are thinking
I got away with it and some are thinking that the cop turned around and came back.

But what really happened is I made this whole story up and that I'm still doing my build while holding your interests. lol

RJ

Quick Reply: Trike Build Update