Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

just a thought...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 04:01 PM
grimm
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default just a thought...

you know. i am coming up on a year since i got back on my bike for the first time since my accident and have been doing a little reflecting. when i was lying in the hospital i was sure that i would never ride again and the thought of losing something that i loved so much was almost unbearable. i remember telling people that i wanted to ride again and they would just nod. too polite to tell the withered one-armed guy that he would likely never walk again, much less ride a bike. well, one of my dear friends who had a shop came by the hospital to see me. i told him that i wanted to ride again and he said, "when you're ready, i'll make it happen."

many times, those words were a source of hope. i went through quite a bit of change, but in jan '07, i went to my buddies shop and sat on my wrecked bike for the first time. i can't describe the emotions that flooded me when i hit that starter button and she fired right up. i told my buddy that i was ready to ride. we threw some ideas around for a while and got to work. a lot of trial and error, a lot of arguments and a lot of pestering on my part but she eventually began to take shape. in sept '06, my friend picked me up on his bike and i went for an anniversary ride. even though i wasn't in control i felt it signified victory. i had beat this. i knew i was going to be alright.

in feb '08 i went to the shop to see him ride the finished trike out of the shop for the first time. he rode the trike to his house where i would be taking my first ride. i nervously put on my helmet, glasses and glove. i hit the starter button and she roared to life. she was ready...was i? what the hel,, i couldn't back down now. this was something that i had waited so long for. i slowly let off the clutch and took off. well, not knowing how a trike rode, it was a learning experience to say the least. my buddy followed a little distance behind me and was never quite sure i'd make it through the next turn. i am positive that he had 911 on speed dial. over time, i learned how she rode and i learned to trust her.

since last feb, i have logged almost 8,000 on my trike including a 2500 mile ride from san antonio to atlanta and back. been through blistering heat, freezing rain and everything in between. my trike has brought me back to life and helped me realize that life is not over. anyway, i just thought i'd write something. haven't been very active around here, lately. been really busy with work, school and other assorted business. peace out...

grimm

the road goes on forever and the party never ends.....

Old 01-07-2009, 05:28 PM
FBTRIKE
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the nice read grimm..........I can deffinatly relate. At times friends and family think I'm crazy climbing on a trike. But it sure puts a smile on my face, and does wonders in making it easier to cope with the challenges I face. Kinda makes me feel whole again...
Ride safe.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:35 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by grimm
you know. i am coming up on a year since i got back on my bike for the first time since my accident and have been doing a little reflecting. when i was lying in the hospital i was sure that i would never ride again and the thought of losing something that i loved so much was almost unbearable. i remember telling people that i wanted to ride again and they would just nod. too polite to tell the withered one-armed guy that he would likely never walk again, much less ride a bike. well, one of my dear friends who had a shop came by the hospital to see me. i told him that i wanted to ride again and he said, "when you're ready, i'll make it happen."

many times, those words were a source of hope. i went through quite a bit of change, but in jan '07, i went to my buddies shop and sat on my wrecked bike for the first time. i can't describe the emotions that flooded me when i hit that starter button and she fired right up. i told my buddy that i was ready to ride. we threw some ideas around for a while and got to work. a lot of trial and error, a lot of arguments and a lot of pestering on my part but she eventually began to take shape. in sept '06, my friend picked me up on his bike and i went for an anniversary ride. even though i wasn't in control i felt it signified victory. i had beat this. i knew i was going to be alright.

in feb '08 i went to the shop to see him ride the finished trike out of the shop for the first time. he rode the trike to his house where i would be taking my first ride. i nervously put on my helmet, glasses and glove. i hit the starter button and she roared to life. she was ready...was i? what the hel,, i couldn't back down now. this was something that i had waited so long for. i slowly let off the clutch and took off. well, not knowing how a trike rode, it was a learning experience to say the least. my buddy followed a little distance behind me and was never quite sure i'd make it through the next turn. i am positive that he had 911 on speed dial. over time, i learned how she rode and i learned to trust her.

since last feb, i have logged almost 8,000 on my trike including a 2500 mile ride from san antonio to atlanta and back. been through blistering heat, freezing rain and everything in between. my trike has brought me back to life and helped me realize that life is not over. anyway, i just thought i'd write something. haven't been very active around here, lately. been really busy with work, school and other assorted business. peace out...

grimm

I can relate to all you have said. I was hit March 07, 2 week after that I had it in my head I would ride again, some how some way... Almost 4 month of hospital stays, I came home and began my research on trikes.

I had been talking to a good buddy of mine who's a sales manager at a Harley dealer in Maryland about my quest to ride again and what I wanted. Well he called me in Sept 07 and told me he got a 08 Roadglide in the color I liked. Said if I wanted it he would hold it till I came up to see it. Thats all it took. I gave the dealer my list of wants and needs and on Feb 08 I picked up the bike.

I have ridden 15k miles since March 08. Did a 8000 mile ride South Carolina coast to California coast and back. Its in my blood. I am addicted to riding. Im in pain all the time since my hit n run, but riding my trike allows me to forget it for awhile.

If you have the will... theres almost always a way.....

Old 01-07-2009, 10:11 PM
1sportytrike
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great read grimm. Goes to show you should never give up on yourself. Great to have a friend like the one that helped you mount up again.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:15 PM
badinfluence63
Banned

hey Grimm,

Thanks for sharing your inspiring story. (Was wondering where you disapeared to). You would be surprised how many people with lesser challenges this has helped.

While I think you made a great choice challenging yourself and for the better, no one would have blamed you if you decided to let it all go.

Wishing you many 3 wheeled miles and adventure.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:43 PM
kentuckydave
Tourer

Originally Posted by grimm

grimm

Just to let you know that I think what you have accomplished is "fan damn tastic". It is great to have you out there on the road. My wife got her Fatboy converted to a DFT trike about two years ago and now I have my riding partner with me again. Again, welcome to the road!

Old 01-09-2009, 06:09 AM
Ultra 08
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

grimm, you are a super inspiration. Glad you are staying with it and doing well.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:01 PM
bdn56
Road Captain

You have got a good reason to celebrate grimm. You have inspired many.
I wish I could have met up with you when you cam through Alabama on your ride to Atlanta.
We have had some great weather down here. I have been fortunate to ride most weekends.
Take care and ride hard.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:02 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You da man!

Old 01-09-2009, 07:24 PM
lowline
Cruiser

Very nice Grimm!! Way to go man keep inspiring people!!

Quick Reply: just a thought...