Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

What Air Pressure in Tri Glide shocks

Old 04-09-2009, 08:13 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What Air Pressure in Tri Glide shocks

What Air Pressure are you all running in your Tri Glide air shocks. Mine were at 15psi. I pumped mine up to 40psi account I will ride with my Wife.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:21 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am also running 40 lbs in my air shocks. That seems to be a good pressure riding 2 up.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:51 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

I like to play with my air settings so I hit 50-60 lbs. when taking some mountain twisties... seems to stiffen the ride just enough to remove some trike body roll/lean in the curves.

40 is my normal pressure too.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:31 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
I like to play with my air settings so I hit 50-60 lbs. when taking some mountain twisties... seems to stiffen the ride just enough to remove some trike body roll/lean in the curves.

40 is my normal pressure too.
You know our suspension is slightly different with our Mototrike setup having air bags along with coil over spring shocks. I run my air pressure around 30-35 lbs for solo riding

Old 04-10-2009, 08:13 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

Yes.. I do know.

Where do you keep your adjustables? I keep mine at 1 but the factory says 2.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:13 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
Yes.. I do know.

Where do you keep your adjustables? I keep mine at 1 but the factory says 2.
I keep mine cranked up all the way. Im a tall rider at 6'3'' so having the seat height up works for me

Old 04-14-2009, 11:08 PM
cubbear42
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the information regarding the Air Pressure in the shocks...

Told my husband what you all said - he checked ours out, wellllll, let's just say he said the pressure was somewhere between 0 and 14 PSI....

Yesterday, he added air to 40 or 50 PSI... WHAT A DIFFERENCE...!!!!

We've rode over 4K miles with hardly no pressure at all - 2 up.... No wonder I felt many, many bumps or just changes in the pavement, especially when we'd come up to/and leave a small bridge area.... Reminded me of when we rode so many miles on our Sportster - was normal for me to watch the road and 'brace' for any bumps...

With the Softail - no bumps, just smooth riding...

So thanks again for the pressure comments on the TriGlide... See, someone else is learning from what you all say...

My comment is why didn't the mechanic at the dealers check this out during set-up or our 1K mile maintenance...? Shoot, they didn't even get the tire pressures right...!!

Old 04-15-2009, 04:30 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cubbear42
Thanks for the information regarding the Air Pressure in the shocks...

Told my husband what you all said - he checked ours out, wellllll, let's just say he said the pressure was somewhere between 0 and 14 PSI....

Yesterday, he added air to 40 or 50 PSI... WHAT A DIFFERENCE...!!!!

We've rode over 4K miles with hardly no pressure at all - 2 up.... No wonder I felt many, many bumps or just changes in the pavement, especially when we'd come up to/and leave a small bridge area.... Reminded me of when we rode so many miles on our Sportster - was normal for me to watch the road and 'brace' for any bumps...

With the Softail - no bumps, just smooth riding...

So thanks again for the pressure comments on the TriGlide... See, someone else is learning from what you all say...

My comment is why didn't the mechanic at the dealers check this out during set-up or our 1K mile maintenance...? Shoot, they didn't even get the tire pressures right...!!
For whatever reason they just don't check air pressure. When I got my 2006 Ultra there was no air in the shocks. When Msocko3 took delivery of his 2006 Ultra there was no air in his shocks. My Tri Glide had the correct air pressure in the tires but none in the air shocks. Go figure.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:20 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

It may be worth mentioning here but I am not 100% sure of the TG air ride since I have a Motor Trike.

The touring bikes have a maximum capacity of 50 pounds, again, not sure of the TG's. The recommended way to inflate the touring shocks is with the HD air pump.

http://www.latus-harley-davidson.com...n-Air-Pump.htm

Here's an aftermarket pump

http://www.debrix.com/items/item.aspx?itemid=1859248

If you try to inflate your air ride suspension with an air compressor you may cause serious damage. There is only a very small amount of air that is used and it is easy to over inflate them.

Maybe a TG owner can verify this.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:44 AM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heck, I guess I better check my manual and see how to do this! Also need a pump. Not going to say anything to hubby. He would say "we don't need to buy a pump" I'll just use the compressed air tank. No thanks! I have seen people blow up there car tire using the one here at the farm.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What Air Pressure in Tri Glide shocks