Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Posi or Open End?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 07:19 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Posi or Open End?

I am curious about the type of rear each trike conversion provides. I have the DFT. When I take off hard. I leave two visible, same length peal out marks on the road way. I was at a HD open house and was talking with one that had a champion conversion kit on their bike. He was telling me that his is posi. Where as, depending on the price one pays for the HD Tri-glide. It will be either a posi traction rear or an open ended one. ( One rear wheel drive). Is this true? About posi or open ended rears on the tri-glide?

RJ

Old 05-04-2009, 09:53 AM
grimm
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've always been under the impression that posi was not recommended for trikes in that they will greatly affect turning due to the tendency to want to continue tracking straight. as far as i'm concerned, there are no mass produced trike kits that come in posi, for that reason. i know for a fact that the Triglides aren't posi as the rear ends are made by Lehman and the use a single drive.

that being said, my Frankenstein rear end is not posi, either...

grimm

Old 05-04-2009, 11:08 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I know of no rear end option like that for a Tri Glide

Old 05-04-2009, 12:38 PM
zoood
Former Sponsor

My DFT has the slip rear. But as I stated earlier. I will leave a dual peal out mark.

Originally Posted by grimm
i've always been under the impression that posi was not recommended for trikes in that they will greatly affect turning due to the tendency to want to continue tracking straight. as far as i'm concerned, there are no mass produced trike kits that come in posi, for that reason. i know for a fact that the Triglides aren't posi as the rear ends are made by Lehman and the use a single drive.

that being said, my Frankenstein rear end is not posi, either...

grimm

Old 05-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

My Motor Trike is limited slip.

Will leave two distinctive and equal marks.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:37 PM
zoood
Former Sponsor

Im just wondering if the Tri-Glide has an open end, as in one wheel drive or does it have the limited slip rear?

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
My Motor Trike is limited slip.

Will leave two distinctive and equal marks.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:39 PM
x1wildone
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trike posi

equal tire marks on pavement does not mean that it is a posi unit, it means equal traction at each wheel.
to check for a posi lift tires off of pavement and spin one side, if other tire spins same direction than it is a posi,if opposite tire spins opposite direction it is an open differential.
I dont think I would want a posi unit on a trike, stearing would become more difficult.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:36 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by x1wildone
equal tire marks on pavement does not mean that it is a posi unit, it means equal traction at each wheel.
to check for a posi lift tires off of pavement and spin one side, if other tire spins same direction than it is a posi,if opposite tire spins opposite direction it is an open differential.
I dont think I would want a posi unit on a trike, stearing would become more difficult.
I'm not sure why anyone would want a posi unit.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:39 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor

Let me rephrase my question. Does the new tri-glide have only one of the two wheels as a drive wheel or does it have the slip rear?

Originally Posted by x1wildone