Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

TG Parts Rant

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 09:31 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default TG Parts Rant

WARNING: This Thread Contains Whining; Read At Your Own Risk!

Heads-up on ordering parts for your TG!
On 08/12/09 I ordered a chrome front T-star wheel (P/N 40966-09) and a front wheel installation kit for my ’09 TG. The Harley web-site stated that these two items would fit ’09 and later Touring Models including FLHTCUTG.

When I tried to install these items, I discovered that they would not work; I also discovered that the web-site has been changed since I placed my order; it now reads: fits ’09 and later Touring models (except trike).

I also ordered a Fender Rail Insert, P/N 91358-99A The web-site states: Fits ’08-later Tour Glide, FLHTC, FLHTCU and FLHTCUTG models; this too will not fit my bike!

I told the dealer parts dept. I wanted Chrome Braided Front Brake Lines for a ’09 TG; his parts computer said I needed a P/N 83841-08 and a P/N 44106-08; after waiting 10 days for the parts to arrive, I discover that these too will not fit and at the present time Harley does not make a chrome brake line for the TG!

The dealer had my bike for 10 days awaiting parts; one of the parts they ordered is a P/N 83915-09A Door Seal. This is the “Improved 2010 Retro-fit Truck Door Seal “When I picked up the bike today I looked at the seal and it looks exactly like the old seal; I then looked at the seal on a 2010 they had on the floor. There is a distinguishable difference between the two seals; the ’09 seal is oval at the top and the material is very pliable. The 2010 seal is square and has ribs running through the part that contacts the door and the material is much stiffer. The problem is that for some reason that doesn’t make any sense to me, Harley uses the same part number for both the 2009 & 2010 retro-fit seal! (I’ll explain that further down)

The dealer also waited 10 days for new steering damper P/N 83808-09 The original damper leaked all the lubricant due the excessive heat in this part of the country and made the bike un-safe to ride! When I brought the bike in, I told them that I wanted the NEW 2010 Retro-fit Steering damper with “Improved Temperature Range”. I now have a new damper but guess what; because just like the door seal, Harley in there divine wisdom have the 2009 & new and improved 2010 sharing the same part number. We compared my old damper to the new one they installed on my bike and also to the 2010 on the floor; all three looked identical and no one could tell me if I now have the new and improved damper or the old style problem plagued damper!

If in-fact, this is the old style damper, I predict that I will be back at the dealer in another 60 days or so having the damper replaced because of the extreme heat in our area!

Now you folk’s analyze this next statement to see if it sounds plausible or for that matter even rationally sane…The dealers service manager attempted to justify having my bike for 10 days without accomplishing anything, by saying: “this happens all the time when MOCO retro-fits a part; they probably have several hundred of the old style in inventory and they want to use them up before they start distributing the new part; eventually they will assign a new part number to the new part”.

The bottom line here is: my bike was down 10 days and my wife and I put on a total of 280 miles on our vehicles traveling to and from the dealer and accomplished absolutely nothing! Additionally, we will most likely have to repeat this exercise when these two parts inevitably fail! <END of RANT> Flame away

Old 08-19-2009, 09:41 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 410 Likes on 219 Posts

The new seal replacement kit is a dash 10 (-10). It is the same one as on the '10's. If you dealer ordered you a dash 9A (-9A), then they are mistaken. Don't know anything about the dampener though. The wife has ridden her TG for days at a time (2500 miles) in 100+ and it hasen't leaked yet.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:57 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Yep you have to be careful when ordering parts for a TG. Some touring parts fit and others don't. Then to make it worse they say a part doesn't fit the Trike but it does. Their web site doesn't help matters when you choose the FLHTCUTG and see parts come up that you know damn well won't fit. For instance they list a rear tire that fits my 06 FLHTCUI, we all know the TG takes a different rear tire than that.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:35 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Was at my dealers yesterday to see the door seal that he ordered for my trike. He ordered the seal that comes on the 2010 he thought. It was the same as my seal. His parts book for the 2010 has a number in it that ends in 09. It is the same number that is in his 2009 parts book. Go Figure. I hope no one consders this whining. I am only stating facts.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:40 AM
TheJimer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
Was at my dealers yesterday to see the door seal that he ordered for my trike. He ordered the seal that comes on the 2010 he thought. It was the same as my seal. His parts book for the 2010 has a number in it that ends in 09. It is the same number that is in his 2009 parts book. Go Figure. I hope no one consders this whining. I am only stating facts.
That is exactly what happened to me. The dealer even showed me his 2010 parts book and the part number for both the trunk door seal and the steering damper are the same as the 2009 part number.

I just can’t for the life of me understand the logic behind such a system!

I’m just thankful that they had two 2010’s sitting on the floor so I could show them the difference in the seals, because before I proved to them that they did NOT installed the 2010 retro-fit seal, they did not believe me. I was just another dim-witted customer that did not know what I was talking about!

Old 08-20-2009, 01:24 PM
krw
Tourer

The parts manager joked with me about being the tri glide guinea pig.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:10 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by krw
The parts manager joked with me about being the tri glide guinea pig.
Sad but true, we are all Beta testers for the Moco. By 2012 they should pretty much have the bugs out and be ready to introduce some more.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:22 AM
TheJimer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by msocko3
Sad but true, we are all Beta testers for the Moco. By 2012 they should pretty much have the bugs out and be ready to introduce some more.
According to a rumor circulating on another Forum; there isn’t going to be a 2012 TG! Personally I think that this is just wishful thinking on the part of some and I’ll put my money on a new and improved 2012 TG!

Old 08-22-2009, 07:15 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by TheJimer
According to a rumor circulating on another Forum; there isn’t going to be a 2012 TG! Personally I think that this is just wishful thinking on the part of some and I’ll put my money on a new and improved 2012 TG!
I agree with you. Right now the Moco is selling every TG that they produce their not going to discontinue it. I do think in time they will part ways with Lehman and do the final assembly of the back half them selves. I think the quality control at Lehman leaves something to be desired.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:35 AM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by msocko3
Sad but true, we are all Beta testers for the Moco.
Anyone think they will use a Tri-Glide design for a V-Rod type engine? I think they would eventually have to move in that direction. They have the boomer market that is probably ready for the change. Everyone says the TG is a great ride and I'm anxiously awaiting mine. But what, if any, problems will show up in a few years with this "hot" 103 engine?

My apologies if I have wandered off this thread topic.

Quick Reply: TG Parts Rant