Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Trike conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 10:02 AM
Grrrl
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Trike conversion

I hope everyone is fabulous and that you all had an amazing summer.
3.5 yrs ago I was hit from behind whilst driving my mum's car. I still have issues with my neck, lower back and get occasional dizziness.
My settlement came to an end today and so now I am faced with what to do with my Sportster (xl883l) that has been up on a lift in my garage for 2 summers now.
I would like to convert it to a trike and was wondering if anyone has done this or knows of anyone who has.
I am pondering these two kits.
http://www.trikeshop.com/trikes/HDSS
http://www.motortrike.com/trikeHarleySportsterGTX.aspx

Old 09-12-2013, 11:20 AM
mmf
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about the accident. Don't know anything about the ones you are looking at but California Side Car makes a couple of models and they are well respected. Good luck.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:51 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Grrrl
I hope everyone is fabulous and that you all had an amazing summer.
3.5 yrs ago I was hit from behind whilst driving my mum's car. I still have issues with my neck, lower back and get occasional dizziness.
My settlement came to an end today and so now I am faced with what to do with my Sportster (xl883l) that has been up on a lift in my garage for 2 summers now.
I would like to convert it to a trike and was wondering if anyone has done this or knows of anyone who has.
I am pondering these two kits.
http://www.trikeshop.com/trikes/HDSS
http://www.motortrike.com/trikeHarleySportsterGTX.aspx
Sorry to read about your accident. I know all too well what you have been through and then some.

My questions would be what is goal with the Sportster? Are you planning on riding around locally or are you also going to do some long distance trips?

If local riding is all your doing, either kit will serve you well. I personally have a Motortrike kit on my Roadglide and love it. I especially like the on board air compressor to adjust the suspension on the fly.

The Roadsmith has a option for a reverse to be added to the kit.

For long trips the 883 would have 2 draw backs I like to point out

1) Smaller engine to carry the added weight. Motortrike specs the bike and trike kit @ 920 lbs & Road Smith setup @ 1020 lbs. ( I think that is wrong on both websites)

I think with either kit attached to your Sporty would be in the 775-825 lb range. The smaller engine on a 883 would struggle more over a 1200 engine Sporty that had a trike kit as well

2) The 4.5 gallon gas tank on any Sporty. With the added weight of either kit plus wind resistance the fuel mileage will drop, requiring more frequent fuel stops.

Keep in mind you would want to add in your cost to trike your Sporty add a raked triple tree kit. This will make steering the Sporty much easier if you do add a trike kit

Beyond that if you decide to trike your Sporty and get back in the saddle I wish you many miles of enjoyable riding.

Tom

Last edited by FLTR2008TRIKE; 09-12-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:54 PM
Grrrl
Tourer

Yes. I plan on using my bike for long trips as well.
My sporty has the peanut tank so that is even smaller than the 4.5 gal.
I cant afford to purchase a trike so this may be my only option.
Thank you for the info to ponder.
Why would anyone make a trike kit for an 883 if it was unable to pull it down the road on long trips?
I could change mine from the 883 to the 1200 at some point.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:09 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Grrrl
Yes. I plan on using my bike for long trips as well.
My sporty has the peanut tank so that is even smaller than the 4.5 gal.
I cant afford to purchase a trike so this may be my only option.
Thank you for the info to ponder.
Why would anyone make a trike kit for an 883 if it was unable to pull it down the road on long trips?
I could change mine from the 883 to the 1200 at some point.
The peanut tank @ 3 gal is gonna not let you ride far on road trips at all. To answer your question on the why a trike kit is available for a 883, the Sporty 883 and 1200 share the same frame.

As option to ponder, The Frankenstein trike kit is a good unit and would lower the total weight of your Sporty with a trike kit. The only down side is there is no body. Only fenders. The cost savings with the Frankenstein kit could possibly get you a raked triple tree and a larger fuel tank for the same expense as the Motortrike or Roadsmith kit

Here is the link to Frankenstein trikes >> http://frankensteintrikes.com/trike_...ster_page.html

Old 09-13-2013, 09:13 AM
Grrrl
Tourer

You informed me correctly. Here is what the Roadsmith company had to say in response to my questions for them.

The Trike Shop/Roadsmith Trikes Hello Anne and thank you for your interest in Roadsmith. Unfortunately, we cannot provide you with the requested assurances because we have no direct experience with that particular powerplant. All of the Sportster trikes with which we have worked so far have been the 1200. We are confident that an 883 trike would be sufficient for one-up riding with an average size rider around town, but could not go so far as to assure you of creating a long-distance touring vehicle capable of sustained highway speeds on steep inclines (nor could any other trike manufacturer, for that matter). We hope that information helps with your decision-making process and wish the best of luck. Please let us know if we can help you in any way.

Damn!

Old 09-13-2013, 09:20 AM
Grrrl
Tourer

As I am not partial to the open ended look of trikes and cannot afford a new triglide, I will try anything to get back on the road. I have contacted the frankenstein folk with a few questions. Thank you for the link.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:22 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior

Your welcome. Hope it works out for you to ride again. Keep us posted when you can.

Tom

Old 09-13-2013, 07:14 PM
deadhead 1200
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can try ( Oldy,s fenders ) they sell complete rear -trunk compartments to cover up the open area. They are light too, fiberglass.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:28 PM
Grrrl
Tourer

The birth of Trinity. The kit is all installed and now the fenders are off to be colour matched. Should have Trin on the road in 2 weeks. This was 2 day conversion from 2 wheel to 3. I went with the Frankenstein Trike kit.
Trike conversion-trinity.jpg

Quick Reply: Trike conversion