Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

What SIZE is your tow behind trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 10:37 AM
Mr Cujo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CroK,

You mean like sliding tandems on a tractor trailer? Nifty concept. I wonder though how much you'll actually move it..I'd be interested in seeing some pics when you get that done.

If you have the option, I'd suggest some independent torsion spindles instead of a leaf spring suspension. They do come in low # --on the order of #150 per side so you can get a reasonably supple ride without the buckboard effect of a leaf spring.
The most affordable one I've seen are on e-bay for around $60-$70 per side.

Alternatively, you could use a coil spring and shock setup like the old style boat trailers, or even fab up a swingarm suspension and use motorcycle shocks.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:48 AM
dakota_dj
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the setup I use. All aluminum, box is 5 ft. long and 28 in. wide. Wheel width is 42 in. to the outside and fender width is 48in. Weight is 175 lbs.

Can't tell it is behind the bike when pulling it.

Tim

Attached Thumbnails What SIZE is your tow behind trailer?-new-trailer-and-ultra-classic-004.jpg   What SIZE is your tow behind trailer?-new-trailer-and-ultra-classic-009.jpg   What SIZE is your tow behind trailer?-new-trailer-and-ultra-classic-018.jpg  
Old 01-25-2010, 11:04 AM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Trailers just like garages are never big enough....

Old 01-25-2010, 11:29 AM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior

I have the Harbor Fright Haul Master Tag a Long. Nice little trailer. Pulls good and holds quite a big of stuff. Use the hell out of it. Only thing is I need to add some more lights on the back. I want them up a little higher and a 3rd brake light. Then it will be perfect.

Attached Thumbnails What SIZE is your tow behind trailer?-100_1916.jpg  
Old 01-25-2010, 11:43 AM
CroK
Banned

Mr Cujo, yep, same concept. Similar to what PineyRider is doing, I have an axle with leaf springs from an older HF utility trailer that I am cutting down, and will mount 2"x2"x1/8" angle to. These will only be about 4" longer than the leaf springs, so that I have enough room to put the clamps on. Clamped onto the box frame, so that it will be able to slide. The main box frame will be 4'x3x" (width determined once I set the 36" center of wheel), with only one centered cross member. That should allow me to slide the axle forward or back roughly half the distance of the leaf spring length. The clamps will be set outside each end of the leaf springs to give the longest adjustable length. It will be heavy, I'm sure, but I will probably be carrying a jack and toolbox, plus whatever other gear needed for the planned trip, so it has to be stout.

Classic Eagle, yeh, that's the one I was talking about. How sturdy is that box? Looks bigger than what I was thinking from the picture on HF site.

PineyRider, I didn't mean to hi-jack the thread from ya! Chime in any time, since it IS your thread. Please accept my apologies.

Last edited by CroK; 01-25-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:55 AM
BikerV
Road Warrior

I like the third brake light idea!! One of my worries is getting rear ended by a senoir citizen at a red light that can't see the attached trailer (because they usually can't see over the steering wheel). I've already gotten rear-ended once by a guy who was in his 90's at light.

Originally Posted by Classic Eagle
I have the Harbor Fright Haul Master Tag a Long. Nice little trailer. Pulls good and holds quite a big of stuff. Use the hell out of it. Only thing is I need to add some more lights on the back. I want them up a little higher and a 3rd brake light. Then it will be perfect.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:00 PM
Maimas
Road Warrior

Isn't "Tow Behind Trailer" redundant?

Old 01-25-2010, 12:05 PM
CroK
Banned

Originally Posted by Maimas
Isn't "Tow Behind Trailer" redundant?
LOL! Not if the bike is broke and you gotta push the trailer!

dakota dj, that's a nice setup. Hope mine looks half as good as that! Did you fab that yourself? I looked at the second photo first. Man it looked HUGE, until I saw the first one with the bike.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:09 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior

CroK, I've been eyeing this trailer for awhile. It was $229 when I first thought about building it, It went for $259 by the time I got around to buying it. I went for the open trailer thinking I could make something neat for a box. I do a lot of welding and have a buddy who has a machine shop, he has a metal shear and bending brake. However right now the dilemma is safety (I'll worry about a NEAT box later). I figure today I'll go out and measure the width of the Roadking and ponder the measurements a little more. There is a site http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing/start That I've got a lot of information from. Kind of hard to navigate around but many guys there give a lot of specs on the HF trailer. This is where I originally got my measurements from. I guess in the end we have to decide between enough width to where it doesn't want to roll over on turns but yet narrow enough to where your not clipping oncoming traffic if you sway a little wide.

Originally Posted by CroK
My thoughts exactly, Mr Cujo. I plan to have the axle springs mounted to a seperate piece of angle on each side, so I could adjust the weight, depending on what I am carrying. Same as I've seen done on some boat trailers.

My bike measures right at 34" at it's widest, so 36" center of wheel would only give me a few inches over on each side. My rig may be a bit taller than most is why I want the width as wide as possible. Much more than that, and it would be awkward I think.

BTW, PineyRider, HF also sells a trailer similar to bike trailers for $399.00 I think. It looks like nothing more than a car top storage box mounted on a small trailer. Dimensions are on this page... http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=66771
I had thought about getting one of those, but it won't suit what I have in mind.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:14 PM
CroK
Banned

I hear ya, I was playing with the idea of using a cartop carrier for the box, but they are expensive and not large enough for my purposes. The one I posted like Classic Eagle has, I wasn't sure of the strength of the box, so I decided to build my own. Still kinda stuck with a wooden box since I'm short on funds atm. I'll just have to make sure the wood is sealed well.

Quick Reply: What SIZE is your tow behind trailer?