Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

What SIZE is your tow behind trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 01:32 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

unless you are putting brakes on the trailer somehow, you have to keep it really light, like 100lbs. or less, otherwise when you try to stop, the trailer will shove you all over the place.. an alumminum frame with a cartop carrier is about the max you can safley control behind a bike..a small-midsize car should only pull 900lbs.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:02 PM
coolhands03bagger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice trailers. I might have to consider one of those one day.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:32 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior

J1mmy, Trailer brakes would be really nice. One thing I was never really happy about with the RoadKing was it's braking. On wet roads the rear wheel locks up with the slightest of effort. I didn't have this problem with the RoadGlide I had prior to owning the King and they both used the same Dunlop tires. Same brake pedal also, not an exteded pedal/leverage issue. I plan on towing this trailer as if I'm riding on snow as far as caution goes. Aside from my trip to Daytona I want it for motorcycle trips out to Carlise PA and Gettysburg. It was fun to camp with the bike but a camp stove, some folding camp chairs and a cooler of food would make for a better weekend. Riding two-up you can only pack so much crap on a bike. Plus a trailer can double as a nice camp table. It's all back roads out to those places for me.

Originally Posted by j1mmy
unless you are putting brakes on the trailer somehow, you have to keep it really light, like 100lbs. or less, otherwise when you try to stop, the trailer will shove you all over the place.. an alumminum frame with a cartop carrier is about the max you can safley control behind a bike..a small-midsize car should only pull 900lbs.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:36 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior

I measured the bike and it's about 30" wide. I'm leaning towards a 48" long by 30" wide box. I don't mind the extra 6" of fender sticking out on either side since it's not really a bad idea to be able to see your tires. A flat tire or a tire coming apart is something you want to know about. It's hard enough keeping a truck under control with a failing trailer tire. On a bike it's a pretty sure bet you will be going down if you lose a trailer tire.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:57 PM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good point Jimmy, I just switched my 'design' to a T-Bar with diagonal braces, instead of a box made from all that steel. I can slide the box itself for weight distribution, instead of sliding the axle. That should take some considerable weight out of it. Much appreciated.

PineyRider, my demensions look like the box will be 29"x48" unless I change something. So we are thinking pretty close to the same thing there.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:24 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

"do not attempt to pull a trailer with a Harley-Davidson as it could cause injury or Death". Just quoting the manual do what you want. I personally don't like hauling that much sh*t!

Old 01-25-2010, 03:57 PM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried a Matchbox trailer once but the King just couldn't handle it....

Old 01-25-2010, 03:58 PM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by gunner11
"do not attempt to pull a trailer with a Harley-Davidson as it could cause injury or Death". Just quoting the manual do what you want. I personally don't like hauling that much sh*t!
That is just one of many stupid statements that can be found in there.
My favorite is "do not use aftermarket parts....."

Old 01-25-2010, 04:06 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior

Gunner, Personally I don't LIKE to haul that much sh*t either. But I do camp several times a year by motorcycle and having the extra amenities along would be really nice (small stove, lantern, chairs, cooler...etc).

Originally Posted by gunner11

Old 01-25-2010, 05:03 PM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to haul all types of ****, then I stopped workin at the local dump. Now I haul tools and gear!

Quick Reply: What SIZE is your tow behind trailer?