Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

What SIZE is your tow behind trailer?

Old 01-24-2010, 10:25 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What SIZE is your tow behind trailer?

I apologize in advance if this thread has been beat to death, I've searched it and can't find any info. I bought a Harbor Freight trailer to tow behind my RoadKing. I plan on riding down to Daytona and visiting many friends in the South along the way for a two week trip. I researched through a couple of sites what size to bring it down to. The general opinion of most people who built one was make the deck 48"long X 36"wide. I thought I was all set to start Cutting rails down and get busy welding it together. But when I laid it out on the floor the thing looks WAY too wide!! As big as this thing looks I might as well hook up my 6' X 10' freakin' landscape trailer behind the bike. I looked at the specs on some of the trailers that are actually made for motorcycle towing and some of them have a 28" wide box (not counting the wheels). This looks much safer to me. Thanks in advance, Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:33 PM
cap5369
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a starlight and the size is Over-all dimensions (68L x 28H x 33W px.). Box dimensions (41L x 29W x 16 1/2H px.) Weight 125lbs. empty weight. Full frame 26 1/2" tongue length (px.)

Old 01-24-2010, 11:11 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I got the 4 X 8 heavy duty HF trailer to haul one 900 lb bike to the Dragon. It did a terrific job. I used a 3/4 inch plywood bolted to the frame to stiffen it up.

I measured everything to be sure that 70% of the weight was ahead of the axle and that the total loaded weight placed 10% of the weight on the hitch.

It pulled like it was on rails. It didn't sway at all.

When I want to haul up to three bikes and live in the trailer I use this.

Headed to the Dragon with a 900 lb Rune.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:27 PM
Mr Cujo
Road Master

Originally Posted by lh4x4
I got the 4 X 8 heavy duty HF trailer to haul one 900 lb bike to the Dragon. It did a terrific job. I used a 3/4 inch plywood bolted to the frame to stiffen it up.

I measured everything to be sure that 70% of the weight was ahead of the axle and that the total loaded weight placed 10% of the weight on the hitch.

It pulled like it was on rails. It didn't sway at all.

When I want to haul up to three bikes and live in the trailer I use this.

Headed to the Dragon with a 900 lb Rune.

Neither of those tow vehicles even resembles a Road King...or any touring bike for that matter.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:40 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I could live with 33" wide overall. The H.F. trailer cut down to a 36" wide box puts the wheels at 48" wide. Seems too wide to me.

Originally Posted by cap5369
I have a starlight and the size is Over-all dimensions (68L x 28H x 33W px.). Box dimensions (41L x 29W x 16 1/2H px.) Weight 125lbs. empty weight. Full frame 26 1/2" tongue length (px.)

Old 01-25-2010, 01:49 AM
Sancho
Road Master

Originally Posted by Mr Cujo
Neither of those tow vehicles even resembles a Road King...or any touring bike for that matter.
Best laugh I've had in a long time! Thanks!

Old 01-25-2010, 02:14 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Cujo
Yes but i enjoyed the pics none the less...Come on Spring, Winter is Killing Me!!

Old 01-25-2010, 02:35 AM
CroK
Banned

I just picked up all the steel to build one, and I am considering overall size myself.
Right now, I'm looking at putting the width at 36" center of wheels, length of the platform/bed will be 4'. I'm thinking about the height also, being as the width will be a bit narrow, I'm thinking it could become unstable if the width is too small. I'm also looking to make it into a one person sleeper, with room to carry necessary gear. Tomorrow I start cutting the steel frame members.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:00 AM
Mr Cujo
Road Master

Originally Posted by CroK
I just picked up all the steel to build one, and I am considering overall size myself.
Right now, I'm looking at putting the width at 36" center of wheels, length of the platform/bed will be 4'. I'm thinking about the height also, being as the width will be a bit narrow, I'm thinking it could become unstable if the width is too small. I'm also looking to make it into a one person sleeper, with room to carry necessary gear. Tomorrow I start cutting the steel frame members.
I think your dimensions are fine. Much wider and you'll be in oncoming traffic if you get near the left track, or on the curb if in the right track.
Keep the center of gravity nice and low and the stability will increase accordingly.
Longer tongue length will help, as will carefully laying out the axle setback. I have read somewhere that it's at least 2:1 or as much as 2.5:1 ratio for tongue:width.
IMHO, it is better to be a tad heavy on the hitch than a tad light.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:15 AM
CroK
Banned

My thoughts exactly, Mr Cujo. I plan to have the axle springs mounted to a seperate piece of angle on each side, so I could adjust the weight, depending on what I am carrying. Same as I've seen done on some boat trailers.

My bike measures right at 34" at it's widest, so 36" center of wheel would only give me a few inches over on each side. My rig may be a bit taller than most is why I want the width as wide as possible. Much more than that, and it would be awkward I think.

BTW, PineyRider, HF also sells a trailer similar to bike trailers for $399.00 I think. It looks like nothing more than a car top storage box mounted on a small trailer. Dimensions are on this page... http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=66771
I had thought about getting one of those, but it won't suit what I have in mind.

Last edited by CroK; 01-25-2010 at 10:28 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What SIZE is your tow behind trailer?