Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

MCN acknowledges heat problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 02:49 PM
Triguy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MCN acknowledges heat problem

Sept/2010 issue of MCN reviewed 2011 Harley CVO's. This quote from the review:
"All three CVO FL's can become uncomfortably hot in traffic, and the heat is especially noticeable on the underside of the rider's right thigh. H-D engineers have attempted to address the heat issue by developing a system that cuts fuel and spark from the rear cylinder when the engine is at idle for a specified length of time, effectively turning it into an air pump which is supposed to lower engine temperatures. Even so, our experience with all three CVO FL's was that the rear exhaust pipe got so hot that it burned holes in the textile riding pants we were wearing when they came into slight contact with the pipe's heat shield. We can't imagine that this would be a desirable quality for someone ponying up over $30,000 for a motorcycle, limited-edition or not."
Finally, an unbiased review that dares to expose the problem...
As you know, the CVO's have a SE 110-cid engine.

2009 TG
Pasadena, CA

Old 08-27-2010, 04:51 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hope that this is just the first of many similar articles because that is what it’s going to take to get MOCO’s attention. Now if we can just get the Wall Street Journal or similar financial publications to run this story.
Jim

Old 08-27-2010, 06:11 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Serves the MoCo right, I've felt the press has been biased towards the MoCo. Maybe more magazines will have the guts to call a spade a spade and tell the truth in print.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:54 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Possibly AIM will publish some reports of the HEAT problems.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:05 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cvo

The Cali and CVO have had the cat several years prior to the 10 touring bikes/trikes getting them.

That 110 CVO and been famous or should say infamous for cylinder head problems for several years now. Mostly leaks and gaskets, this is why I freaked out when the 10 touring got the Cats in the headpipe.

HD had to be aware of the heat problem and it's effects on long term service life AND rider comfort. The EITMS is a vicarious admission that they have a heat problem but is in no way a fix for it. You can keep punching them out to compensate for the EPA killing the power but they will just run hotter.

Milwaukee, we have a problem!

Old 08-28-2010, 06:53 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by coupe55
The Cali and CVO have had the cat several years prior to the 10 touring bikes/trikes getting them.

That 110 CVO and been famous or should say infamous for cylinder head problems for several years now. Mostly leaks and gaskets, this is why I freaked out when the 10 touring got the Cats in the headpipe.

HD had to be aware of the heat problem and it's effects on long term service life AND rider comfort. The EITMS is a vicarious admission that they have a heat problem but is in no way a fix for it. You can keep punching them out to compensate for the EPA killing the power but they will just run hotter.

Milwaukee, we have a problem!
Milwaukee is pretty much not listening.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:10 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
Possibly AIM will publish some reports of the HEAT problems.
AIM is in the MoCo's pocket, I read their reviews and know they wouldn't say anything against the MoCo for fear of not getting the latest hot info.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:12 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

+1, they have our money so they could care less.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:41 AM
roger scarcliff
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a subscription to AIM and receive the HOG magazine, both magazines treat the heat issue with kid gloves. In the summer 2010 issue of HOG mag the writer states "I came away from this motorcycle very impressed with heat management engineering that went into it" page 45 write up on 2011 Road Glide Ultra. Maybe the MOCO re-engineered something for the 2011, ha ha. The only articles I've seen mentioning the heating problems on the CVO's in AIM are from Donny Peterson, a contributing author/mechanic and he lays it out in black and white. He has a running monthly article in AIM. However, not too many readers will read the technical information in most articles. I am guilty of that short coming at times.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:06 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
+1, they have our money so they could care less.
This is true but I’ll bet if the Wall Street Journal would publish an article about MOCO’s lack of concern to there customers numerous complaints regarding safety and the heat problem …they would listen.

Jim