Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

V-Rod Engine on Trike

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 06:46 PM
VaRanger1
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V-Rod Engine on Trike

HD already has a water cooled engine that makes tremendous torque and HP on the V-ROD. Just wondering if they put this engine on the trike if anyone would buy it? It would solve all of the heat problems instantly.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:58 PM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,654 Likes on 580 Posts

It doesn't make tremendous torque, and the torque it does make is too high in the RPM range to move something as heavy as Trike or even a bagger. It's a great engine for what it was designed to do but it won't work well in a heavy bike.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:10 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Duracell
It doesn't make tremendous torque, and the torque it does make is too high in the RPM range to move something as heavy as Trike or even a bagger. It's a great engine for what it was designed to do but it won't work well in a heavy bike.
+ 1 on that.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:28 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Water Cooled Heads

Harley could water cool the heads on the Twin Cam and get by for awhile! The bottom ends are holding up and get plenty of oil splash. The new 11 primary pulley with water cooled heads would get us a good start on the cooling and performance. We would still have to kill the cat and probably go with the upgraded oil cooler and cooler fans. If Harley did the later along with water cooling the heads most of the remaining Harley tax would just be for the aftermarket head pipe!

I think most of us would have been satisfied with that set up!

Old 08-31-2010, 01:37 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

If, no wait, when HD goes to a water cooled trike I would consider trading for one, well maybe the 2ND or 3RD year of them...gonna happen I just hope HD does it right.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:26 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member

Originally Posted by Casper
If, no wait, when HD goes to a water cooled trike I would consider trading for one, well maybe the 2ND or 3RD year of them...gonna happen I just hope HD does it right.
I certainly would be very leary of the first couple of years.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:33 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

I'm still harboring a pretty good grudge, I don't know if I'd buy another new bike or trike from them again. I just don't trust them to do the right thing by the customer anymore.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:49 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Guinea Pigs & Hogs

If they develop a water cooled wonder that breaks all performance records with the reliability of an anvil, I guess I will miss out on it. Never again, I have never seen such an aloof take it or leave it company or any worse with service after the sell. My last awakening is finding out how little the dealership actually knows about the product they sell. To many grey areas with the warranty and products introduced without major problems being addressed.

I as most will have to wait until the warranty expires to build the Trike I should have bought off the showroom floor. HD is asking to much money for a Trike that you have to reengineer at your own expense while playing Russian Roulette with the warranty.

From 2010 on prospective HD customers will have to be leary of Harleys struggle to build a product that meets both EPA and customer requirements. I got caught in the middle of that struggle with my last Harley and should have known better buying a product that was not available for testing. Selling on the legend and the mystique will be short lived if HD continues the practice of introducing a product with a host of problems and working them out over successive models years.

Last edited by coupe55; 08-31-2010 at 03:29 PM. Reason: spell
Old 08-31-2010, 02:45 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by coupe55
If they develop a water cooled wonder that breaks all performance records with the reliability of an anvil, I guess I will miss out on it. Never again, I have never seen such an aloof take it or leave it company or any worse with service after the sell. My last awakening is finding out how little the dealership actually knows about the product they sell. To many grey areas with the warranty and products introduced without major problems being addressed.

I as most will have to wait until the warranty expires to build the Trike I should have bought off the showroom floor. HD is asking to much money for a Trike that you have to reengineer at your own expense while playing Russian Roulette with the warranty.

From 2010 on prospective HD customers will have to be leary of Harleys struggle to build a product that meets both EPA and customer requirements. I got caught in the middle of that struggle with my last Harley and should have known better buying a product that was not available for testing. Selling on the legand and the mystique will be short lived if HD continues the practice of introducing a product with a host of problems and working them out over successive models years.
You know, you're right...Harley is going to loose big time...
If the butt of the Victory Crossbow was better looking I might be on one of them. My son has a Vision and yes it's strange looking but it does ride very nice. American made as much if not more than HD...not a great dealer network, but that'll grow.
Should have maybe done some more research and seen if any major trike companies make a kit for the Vision,,Motor Trike, CSC, Champion, Hannigan etc...would have been better off with that.
Never had any issues with the 07 GW CSC trike, other than the foot position of the driver...maybe even a Yamaha Venture....

Yeah, last HD trike for me too. Be a lot smarter next time, if there is a next time.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:23 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member

You know, you're right...Harley is going to loose big time...
If the butt of the Victory Crossbow was better looking I might be on one of them. My son has a Vision and yes it's strange looking but it does ride very nice. American made as much if not more than HD...not a great dealer network, but that'll grow.
Should have maybe done some more research and seen if any major trike companies make a kit for the Vision,,Motor Trike, CSC, Champion, Hannigan etc...would have been better off with that.
Never had any issues with the 07 GW CSC trike, other than the foot position of the driver...maybe even a Yamaha Venture....

Yeah, last HD trike for me too. Be a lot smarter next time, if there is a next time.
I do believe Lehman makes a trike kit for the Vision.

Quick Reply: V-Rod Engine on Trike