Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Hacked, Conversions and Trailering
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Reply
 
 
 
P
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 10-22-2010, 03:06 PM
NOLaFatBoy's Avatar
NOLaFatBoy NOLaFatBoy is offline
One Of The Regulars
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 228
Default Trailer recessed D ring installation

I have a 7' x 14' enclosed trailer with 3/4" plywood flooring. I picked up some 4.5" x 5" D rings for tie down points. I also got the 1/8" thick backing plates. I have the J&S Chock too

I have to cut a 3 3/8" hole for the recessed D ring area to sit in. Will this setup be strong enough just going through the 3/4" plywood and having the 1/8" steel backing plate attached.. Will be used to trailer a 10 Fatboy when needed. approx 725 lbs


Click the image to open in full size.

.
.
__________________
It Aint Over Til the FatBoy Sings


2010 Fatboy * Black Ice Pearl
V&H Big Radius and SE Heavy Breather
New Orleans, La
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-22-2010, 03:51 PM
Toypuller's Avatar
Toypuller Toypuller is offline
Outstanding HDF Member
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Clayton NC
Posts: 2,621
Default

Yea, that will be plenty strong enough. The D-rings don't have a ton of pull or shear on them when you are transporting a bike. The tie downs aren't fully compressing the suspension so there is no hard shock to the rings.

If you are outfitting a 7x14 take a look at E-Track. I fitted out a 7x14 multi-purpose trailer with 5 rows of E-Track (3 on floor, 2 on the walls) with all the rings, etc for about $300.00. Makes using the trailer for anything super easy and really solid.

http://accessories.etrailer.com/search?w=e%20track
__________________
It's not the year that matters.

It's the milage.

Last edited by Toypuller; 10-22-2010 at 03:56 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-22-2010, 04:42 PM
NOLaFatBoy's Avatar
NOLaFatBoy NOLaFatBoy is offline
One Of The Regulars
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toypuller View Post
If you are outfitting a 7x14 take a look at E-Track. I fitted out a 7x14 multi-purpose trailer with 5 rows of E-Track (3 on floor, 2 on the walls) with all the rings, etc for about $300.00. Makes using the trailer for anything super easy and really solid.
Thanks, I already got the D rings so I'm gonna install them. A friend is giving me enough E Track that i will be able to install two rows along the walls too.

Thanks again
__________________
It Aint Over Til the FatBoy Sings


2010 Fatboy * Black Ice Pearl
V&H Big Radius and SE Heavy Breather
New Orleans, La
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-22-2010, 11:32 PM
High Gear High Gear is offline
Outstanding HDF Member
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,334
Default

+1 on the E-track , no large holes to cut either.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-23-2010, 07:58 PM
rodnock rodnock is offline
Road Warrior
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,354
Default

If you place the d rings over the frame beneath the plywood floor you should be able to bolt them through the frame. Position them over the frame and mark your bolt holes. drill the bolt holes, then cut your 3 3/8 hole just through the plywood and then bolt them down.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-24-2010, 11:27 AM
NOLaFatBoy's Avatar
NOLaFatBoy NOLaFatBoy is offline
One Of The Regulars
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodnock View Post
If you place the d rings over the frame beneath the plywood floor you should be able to bolt them through the frame. Position them over the frame and mark your bolt holes. drill the bolt holes, then cut your 3 3/8 hole just through the plywood and then bolt them down.
Well, I thought of loosening the floor screws from the cross members and sliding those steel 1/8" back plates over the cross members then bolting down at least two of the bolts through the trailers frame. But... if just through the floor is more than enough strength then I dont wanna do too much overkill.

Another thing is the thickness of these so call 3/4" trailer floors. The thickness of the D ring is 7/8". The lip of the D ring that sits on top the flooring is 1/8" and the backing plate is 1/8" as well. Most 3/4" plywood is actually 23/32". If that's the case the recessed rings could just make it over the frame cross members, as part of the D ring will sit over the top of the cross member frame. If for some strange reason the flooring is not at least 5/8" thick then the D ring will not sit flush inside the trailer.

The trailer is a Bendron Titian, built in Georgia. If you have done you own recessed D ring installation I'd appreciate some feedback on the install and how its working for you.

I had to order the 3 3/8" hole saw online as no one sold that size locally so I won't be doing the install till next weekend.
__________________
It Aint Over Til the FatBoy Sings


2010 Fatboy * Black Ice Pearl
V&H Big Radius and SE Heavy Breather
New Orleans, La
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-24-2010, 02:36 PM
rodnock rodnock is offline
Road Warrior
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,354
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLaFatBoy View Post
Well, I thought of loosening the floor screws from the cross members and sliding those steel 1/8" back plates over the cross members then bolting down at least two of the bolts through the trailers frame. But... if just through the floor is more than enough strength then I dont wanna do too much overkill.

Another thing is the thickness of these so call 3/4" trailer floors. The thickness of the D ring is 7/8". The lip of the D ring that sits on top the flooring is 1/8" and the backing plate is 1/8" as well. Most 3/4" plywood is actually 23/32". If that's the case the recessed rings could just make it over the frame cross members, as part of the D ring will sit over the top of the cross member frame. If for some strange reason the flooring is not at least 5/8" thick then the D ring will not sit flush inside the trailer.

The trailer is a Bendron Titian, built in Georgia. If you have done you own recessed D ring installation I'd appreciate some feedback on the install and how its working for you.

I had to order the 3 3/8" hole saw online as no one sold that size locally so I won't be doing the install till next weekend.
I installed mine exactly as I descibed. I did not use the backer plates as they wouldn't fit under the frame rail on my trailer. I used the front 2 bolt holes through the frame towards the front of the trailer. This is because the stress would be pulling mostly on those 2 holes. The back 2 holes I used large heavy fender washers. I have trailered back and forth to Florida twice with absolutely no problems. As a previous poster said there really is very little strain on the d rings. I use a wheel chock that is very securely bolted through the frame rails, which actually takes most of the weight of the bike. (Note of disclaimer: we winter in Florida and I haul the bike down and ride it all winter down there. We also haul all our necessary clothes and such in the trailer.)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-24-2010, 02:38 PM
rodnock rodnock is offline
Road Warrior
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,354
Default

sorry

Last edited by rodnock; 10-24-2010 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: oops double posted
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-03-2010, 07:04 AM
ynots's Avatar
ynots ynots is offline
Ultimate HDF Member
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 5,830
Default

Ditto on mounting 2 of the 4 fasteners to a cross frame.
__________________


I was sad because I had no sock drawer, until I met a man who had no socks.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-03-2010, 10:59 AM
tbrenan tbrenan is offline
Road Captain
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Aldergrove BC, Canada
Posts: 657
Default

I have noted on some "trailering" posts mention of DETACHABLE chocks, I would appreciate any info on how this is done.

I would also like to see a few pictures of installed E Trak, I have 4 5' pieces and not to sure of the location to install, I use my trailer 7x14 for general hauling from time to time.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:59 AM
 
 
 
P
Reply


Tags
dring, enclosed, flush, instal, install, installation, installing, motorcycle, recessed, ring, rings, set, tie, track, trailer


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Join HDForums

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Sponsors

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23 AM.


Internet Brands, Inc.