Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Trailer recessed D ring installation

Old 10-22-2010, 03:06 PM
NOLaFatBoy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer recessed D ring installation

I have a 7' x 14' enclosed trailer with 3/4" plywood flooring. I picked up some 4.5" x 5" D rings for tie down points. I also got the 1/8" thick backing plates. I have the J&S Chock too

I have to cut a 3 3/8" hole for the recessed D ring area to sit in. Will this setup be strong enough just going through the 3/4" plywood and having the 1/8" steel backing plate attached.. Will be used to trailer a 10 Fatboy when needed. approx 725 lbs

Old 10-22-2010, 03:51 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,857 Likes on 1,488 Posts

Yea, that will be plenty strong enough. The D-rings don't have a ton of pull or shear on them when you are transporting a bike. The tie downs aren't fully compressing the suspension so there is no hard shock to the rings.

If you are outfitting a 7x14 take a look at E-Track. I fitted out a 7x14 multi-purpose trailer with 5 rows of E-Track (3 on floor, 2 on the walls) with all the rings, etc for about $300.00. Makes using the trailer for anything super easy and really solid.

http://accessories.etrailer.com/search?w=e%20track

Last edited by Toypuller; 10-22-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:42 PM
NOLaFatBoy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Toypuller
If you are outfitting a 7x14 take a look at E-Track. I fitted out a 7x14 multi-purpose trailer with 5 rows of E-Track (3 on floor, 2 on the walls) with all the rings, etc for about $300.00. Makes using the trailer for anything super easy and really solid.
Thanks, I already got the D rings so I'm gonna install them. A friend is giving me enough E Track that i will be able to install two rows along the walls too.

Thanks again

Old 10-22-2010, 11:32 PM
High Gear
Outstanding HDF Member

+1 on the E-track , no large holes to cut either.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:58 PM
rodnock
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you place the d rings over the frame beneath the plywood floor you should be able to bolt them through the frame. Position them over the frame and mark your bolt holes. drill the bolt holes, then cut your 3 3/8 hole just through the plywood and then bolt them down.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:27 AM
NOLaFatBoy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rodnock
If you place the d rings over the frame beneath the plywood floor you should be able to bolt them through the frame. Position them over the frame and mark your bolt holes. drill the bolt holes, then cut your 3 3/8 hole just through the plywood and then bolt them down.
Well, I thought of loosening the floor screws from the cross members and sliding those steel 1/8" back plates over the cross members then bolting down at least two of the bolts through the trailers frame. But... if just through the floor is more than enough strength then I dont wanna do too much overkill.

Another thing is the thickness of these so call 3/4" trailer floors. The thickness of the D ring is 7/8". The lip of the D ring that sits on top the flooring is 1/8" and the backing plate is 1/8" as well. Most 3/4" plywood is actually 23/32". If that's the case the recessed rings could just make it over the frame cross members, as part of the D ring will sit over the top of the cross member frame. If for some strange reason the flooring is not at least 5/8" thick then the D ring will not sit flush inside the trailer.

The trailer is a Bendron Titian, built in Georgia. If you have done you own recessed D ring installation I'd appreciate some feedback on the install and how its working for you.

I had to order the 3 3/8" hole saw online as no one sold that size locally so I won't be doing the install till next weekend.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:36 PM
rodnock
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by NOLaFatBoy
Well, I thought of loosening the floor screws from the cross members and sliding those steel 1/8" back plates over the cross members then bolting down at least two of the bolts through the trailers frame. But... if just through the floor is more than enough strength then I dont wanna do too much overkill.

Another thing is the thickness of these so call 3/4" trailer floors. The thickness of the D ring is 7/8". The lip of the D ring that sits on top the flooring is 1/8" and the backing plate is 1/8" as well. Most 3/4" plywood is actually 23/32". If that's the case the recessed rings could just make it over the frame cross members, as part of the D ring will sit over the top of the cross member frame. If for some strange reason the flooring is not at least 5/8" thick then the D ring will not sit flush inside the trailer.

The trailer is a Bendron Titian, built in Georgia. If you have done you own recessed D ring installation I'd appreciate some feedback on the install and how its working for you.

I had to order the 3 3/8" hole saw online as no one sold that size locally so I won't be doing the install till next weekend.
I installed mine exactly as I descibed. I did not use the backer plates as they wouldn't fit under the frame rail on my trailer. I used the front 2 bolt holes through the frame towards the front of the trailer. This is because the stress would be pulling mostly on those 2 holes. The back 2 holes I used large heavy fender washers. I have trailered back and forth to Florida twice with absolutely no problems. As a previous poster said there really is very little strain on the d rings. I use a wheel chock that is very securely bolted through the frame rails, which actually takes most of the weight of the bike. (Note of disclaimer: we winter in Florida and I haul the bike down and ride it all winter down there. We also haul all our necessary clothes and such in the trailer.)

Old 10-24-2010, 02:38 PM
rodnock
Road Warrior

sorry

Last edited by rodnock; 10-24-2010 at 02:39 PM. Reason: oops double posted
Old 11-03-2010, 07:04 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Ditto on mounting 2 of the 4 fasteners to a cross frame.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:59 AM
tbrenan
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have noted on some "trailering" posts mention of DETACHABLE chocks, I would appreciate any info on how this is done.

I would also like to see a few pictures of installed E Trak, I have 4 5' pieces and not to sure of the location to install, I use my trailer 7x14 for general hauling from time to time.

Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trailer recessed D ring installation