Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Wiring, lights and plugs - Oh my!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 08:10 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Wiring, lights and plugs - Oh my!

Rented a trailer to haul my new-to-me pull-behind motorcycle trailer home yesterday because I wasn't able to figure out a way to connect the 5-wire round trailer plug to my 4-wire flat plug on my Jeep. Backed the Jeep up to the rental trailer, attached the coupler to the hitch, plugged in the wiring (4-wire-to-4-wire) and away I went. Simple. I still have to get my bike fitted with an appropriate hitch, wiring adaptor and isolator for the trailer so I couldn't use my bike to pick up the trailer, but as soon as I install these items I'll be able to hook up the 5-wire motorcycle trailer to my 5-wire Ultra and go. Simple. Not so if I want to tow the motorcycle trailer with my Jeep, or any other tow vehicle other than my Ultra that typically uses a 4-wire plug. Is there a 5-wire-to-4-wire adaptor available out there that would enable me to pull my 5-wire motorcycle trailer with a 4-wire tow vehicle? I've searched the internet far and wide and haven't been able to find what I think I need. Shouldn't this be simple to do, too?

Attached Thumbnails Wiring, lights and plugs - Oh my!-trailer-lights.jpg   Wiring, lights and plugs - Oh my!-trailer-plug-2.jpg  
Old 11-28-2010, 02:58 PM
zapperman
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the best way is to put the same plug on every thing very easy to change over or any trailer place can do it

Old 11-28-2010, 11:36 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

First off, I hate those round plugs...never had nothing but trouble from them. They seem to get loose and end up with a bad connection.

Anyway, I had a shop owned show me some from Car Quest, they are square 5 wat plugs, seal tight and don't come disconnected, never an issue since I started using them.

As for the 5 to 4 way plug I would check with any locat Camping ot Motorhome outfit near you, they should be able to get you what ever you need...I did see these on eBay;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wesba...item2eb18788ed

Don't know if this is what you need or not.

As for the bike, get the jumper plug that goes between the rear section of the bike's tail lights and gives you the needed wires for hooking up the trailer. No splicing or cutting your bikes wires and easy removeable for warranty work at dealership....
here's a link to the plug from your trailer company,
http://www.shop.american-legend.com/...4?categoryId=8

Last edited by Casper; 11-28-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:03 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agree with getting everything on the same plan. Mine is wired up with 4. You can find Hoppy isolators on amazon.com.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:57 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Casper
As for the bike, get the jumper plug that goes between the rear section of the bike's tail lights and gives you the needed wires for hooking up the trailer. No splicing or cutting your bikes wires and easy removeable for warranty work at dealership....
Yep, was planning to get the jumper/adaptor/whatever-you-call-it so I wouldn't have to do any splicing. Also planned to get the isolator since my trailer has regular bulbs rather than LEDs, although I've read good and bad about them. Didn't realize that the 5-way flat connectors "mate" with the 4-way auto connectors. Hopefully I'll be able to just plug and go if I need to pull the trailer with my Jeep.

Thanks for all the replies/help.

Mike in Wooster, OH