Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Oil Breather Set-up

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 09:27 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Oil Breather Set-up

I routed a line from the breathers in the heads down to the oil filler spout. Also inline with this set-up I placed a "T" and attached a mini filter to that. Now it will breathe and any oil mist will return to the tank.

I have mounted a Kuryakyn Hyper Charger to my Ultima 113. I don't like the fact that the engine ventilates into the air cleaner. I had also installed a breather kit that was designed with banjo ends on it and an outlet nipple allowing you to hook up a rubber hose and aim that down at the ground. On my two wheeler this worked. However,... on my trike. The movement of air under the trike was different and when there was any oil mist exiting that line while I was riding. Everything underneath received a thin coating of oil. Nothing major. But I don't want any on my brake disc!

This picture shows the breather tube mounted to the heads.

On the left or rear head. Where the brass nut is. That's where the rubber hose would hook up. I took a different route and picked up a SS braided hose. One that hooks up as a water line. (Like in your Bathroom) I added that brass nut showing in the picture. It allows me to attach the line by screwing it together.

I picked up a new braided SS line. (under $5.00) It will hook up in the same place as the one shown but will curve down or swoop back so that in runs along the top of the outside transmission cover. That's where it will find a "T" connection. The leg of the "T" will be sticking up and I'll attach a miniature air filter.

Just beyond the air filter hook-up the line will be attached to the back of the Oil Filler Housing.

The back of the Oil Filler Housing was sufficient in thickness to drill and tap a hole. Allowing me to mount a brass "T" on it's backside.

I had to shorten the length of braided SS tubing and to dress this end up. I put shrink wrap tubing over it. This will keep the line's sheathing from unraveling at it's end.

Now I won't have anymore oil mist blowing back underneath my trike or on the side of the engine out of the air filter. Any oil or oil mist will in fact now be returned to the oil tank, the way it should have been designed in the first place.

zoood

Old 12-17-2010, 05:04 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

You'll have to let us know how it works out for you, looks like a neat idea.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Brewtality
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

hey, thats a pretty cool idea

Old 12-18-2010, 05:24 AM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I have toyed with the idea of running the breather tube over into the primary, but got jumped-on by folks that thought that was a bad idea and would put excess oil into the primary. I say...the primary fluid is the nastiest stuff you will ever drain out of the bike anyway and a little oil-vapor is not going to hurt a thing....especially since we all run so many different types of fluids in there anyway......including motor oils. That cavity is not presureized and vents through the tranny mainshaft into the transmission and out the top of the tranny breather tube. I'd think if you want to dump the stuff anywhere...the primary may be a better place to do it as opposed to putting it back in the oil pan. It's just a hair-brain scheme and I am going to try it on somebody else's bike the next time I get a chance (LOL).

Old 12-18-2010, 07:50 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by msocko3
Will do,...be a little while though. Ive the trike apart. Ive a lot of things I'm making for it or working on.

RJ

Old 02-06-2011, 01:37 PM
zoood
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by msocko3
Well I tried it out today. It's a no go on this set-up! By putting a line to the oil tank. I created a vent in the top of the oil tank. The oil traveled up through the filter I installed. Not a straight stream,.. but exited in an aerated consistency and made a mess! Im gonna have to plug that hole I made in the oil tank filler neck and run the oil vent line from the heads out to the back bumper, like originally planned. Or I may try tapping into the primary side like 1550vt suggested.

zoood

Old 02-06-2011, 02:07 PM
Road Warrior

I have never stopped thinking on it yet...just have not tried it. I don't see why it won't work.The Primary is not under pressure and even if it experiences slight pressure variations...they are vented through the hollow tranny main-shaft into the transmission area and then vented to the atmosphere at the tranny vent......so I do not think there could be any pressure build-up in that area. The primary fluid is the filthiest fluid you ever drain and I can't see how a few extra drops or an ounce-or-two added between changes could hurt a thing. Many folks are already running engine oils in the primary anyway.

As for how to do that...I have been adding primary fill holes on the top of the inner primaries for the EVO boys for years. Sure beats all the fuss-n-bother with the 3-hole derby covers and o-rings. I drill-n-tap and small hole just on top of the inner primary cover just in front of the exhaust. The webbing in this area is one of the strongest parts on the inner cover. In the case of the Twin Cam....the inner cover is about twice as thick as the EVO inner. I have installed 1/4 pipe plugs in some of those for filling. I do not see why you can't drill-n-tap the same area to accept the blow-by. If it doesn't work out....you can always use it as a primary fill-hole and not have to fool with those 5 derby cover screws and that friggin' gasket they have in there now as opposed to the older o-ring.

You will have to (of course) remove your outer cover to find the right spot and then make sure you don't lose any shavings down inside the case. All you have to do is cover the clutch-hub and I always have the shop-vac running to suck away any debris as I drill and tap.

Last edited by 0734; 02-06-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:22 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

...they are vented through the hollow tranny main-shaft into the transmission area and then vented to the atmosphere at the tranny vent......so I do not think there could be any pressure build-up in that area.
1) It will take the path of least resistance.

2) Any back-pressure you create can damage seals in your motor by creating too much crankcase pressure. Those vents need to breath unrestricted. I won't even put a filter on the end of my vent hose.

3) oil mist is not the only thing that comes out of those breathers. Condensation is created while running the motor under certain conditions.

I have my breathers routed out a hose that ends down below my frame.
One winter I rode in the cold to get some tuning done.
After a few hard passes on the dyno there was a silver dollar sized puddle under the end of that hose. After I was done panicking, I discovered that it was a puddle of water (condensation).

I would not want to blow that condensation back into the motor under any circumstance.

The OP's idea was an interesting one for sure and it's a darn shame it didn't pan out.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:25 PM
zoood
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1550vt
I have never stopped thinking on it yet...just have not tried it. I don't see why it won't work.The Primary is not under pressure and even if it experiences slight pressure variations...they are vented through the hollow tranny main-shaft into the transmission area and then vented to the atmosphere at the tranny vent......so I do not think there could be any pressure build-up in that area. The primary fluid is the filthiest fluid you ever drain and I can't see how a few extra drops or an ounce-or-two added between changes could hurt a thing. Many folks are already running engine oils in the primary anyway.

As for how to do that...I have been adding primary fill holes on the top of the inner primaries for the EVO boys for years. Sure beats all the fuss-n-bother with the 3-hole derby covers and o-rings. I drill-n-tap and small hole just on top of the inner primary cover just in front of the exhaust. The webbing in this area is one of the strongest parts on the inner cover. In the case of the Twin Cam....the inner cover is about twice as thick as the EVO inner. I have installed 1/4 pipe plugs in some of those for filling. I do not see why you can't drill-n-tap the same area to accept the blow-by. If it doesn't work out....you can always use it as a primary fill-hole and not have to fool with those 5 derby cover screws and that friggin' gasket they have in there now as opposed to the older o-ring.

You will have to (of course) remove your outer cover to find the right spot and then make sure you don't lose any shavings down inside the case. All you have to do is cover the clutch-hub and I always have the shop-vac running to suck away any debris as I drill and tap.
Thank you,.... that's a very good idea. I like the idea that it can also be used for adding the oil to the primary without having to mess with the derby cover. Also - I use both the "O"-ring and the newer revision gasket together at the derby cover opening. Seals much better, especially if you have the 3 hole derby cover. They warp easily if you over tighten the bolts.

zoood

Old 02-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Road Warrior

Ed......all very good points, however....in stock dress with the breathers going into the intake, where do you think you are putting that stuff in the first place....right back into the motor to be burned. I realize in stock dress the intake actually sucks this junk back in to be burned-off and there is no positive crankcase pressure developed.

Every cold oil-filed compartment will create condensation (and this includes the primary and transmission as well) which will be burned-off as the fluids warm up to operating temperature.

Look....if a guy has an excessive amount of this crap coming out the breather, he has other major issues. I would imagine most of the moisture you saw was from the long hose and not all coming out of the motor. I agree....at start-up...there will be some condensation going somewhere, but if you follow the trail of how the primary breathes (and it does), I can hardly see any way possible to build-up enough pressure to blow a seal anywhere in the motor by venting to the primary.

I understand your points. Soon as I get a chance, I think I will pressurize one of these primaries I have the fill plugs in to see what happens. That may be a way to check any restrictive areas.

I agree....the head breather should not be restricted...I just don't think this would cause it, but I am old enough to have been wrong before.

Last edited by 0734; 02-06-2011 at 02:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil Breather Set-up